Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: post your trailers here!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #161

Decided i was gonna give it a go on trailer building.
bad thing is i dont have a welder or a braze setup.
so i will be having one of the buddies tac it up and ill do the rest.

mocked up
KING_PALM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #162
RCC Addict

revo au-

nice trailer got any pics of your hitch on your honcho??? guess i gotta continue on my trailer now. mine is like 1/2" square tube, its like 11-12 inches wide and 20 something inches long. should get some work done on it and take some pics.

EDIT: took a tape measure to it and its 11inches wide and 18inches long single axle. my honcho fits on it perfectly!!!!

Last edited by AX10wannabe; 01-17-2011 at 09:18 PM.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #163
Rock Stacker

Thanks, This was my first go at something quick but will look at making something more to scale and up out of the way.[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
revo au-

nice trailer got any pics of your hitch on your honcho??? guess i gotta continue on my trailer now. mine is like 1/2" square tube, its like 11-12 inches wide and 20 something inches long. should get some work done on it and take some pics.

EDIT: took a tape measure to it and its 11inches wide and 18inches long single axle. my honcho fits on it perfectly!!!!
Attached Images

revo au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #164
RCC Addict

^^^ thanks man that helps alot!!!! got to thinking how i would make a hitch for my honcho, guess im gonna have to get some pics of my trailer that im building.

i started looking for something i could use for hitch on the trailer and found an adjustable upper control arm piece from my savage, think it should work...

your hitch gave me really good idea!! since the hitch on the trailer sitting level is 3" off the ground and the truck frame is 4" off the ground i was/am trying to find an easy way to make a mount, definitely gonna need a drop hitch.

EDIT: anyone try to build a scale horse trailer?? i was thinking about it the other day and thought it would be kind of cool. once my flatdeck is done i might try it with some thin metal we got lying around.

Last edited by AX10wannabe; 01-18-2011 at 10:56 AM.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #165
Quarry Creeper

Rockies26 got me started on this one and I went to work. I like the idea of a small utility trailer so here is it, basically done. Gonna change the tires to something less agressive and ad some firewood when the snow melts.
Attached Images

MikeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #166
Rock Stacker

holly sh*t those are all bad a*s u all gave me great ideas for my trailer im building its still just a tub but im gana post it up for sure.
The Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #167
Rock Crawler

Thought I'd give this trailer thing a shot.......

This is the plan, pretty much the same as most.........

The main material is 1/2" x 1/16" square tubing

This is as far as I got today......

I'll post up more as I progress.......
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #168
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies26 View Post
Here's mine just finished it not quite done but almost

What did you use for the axles?????
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #169
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
What did you use for the axles?????
I just used some solid round stock i can't remember the size though with some collars to hold the rims on each side use a wheel hex to hold the rim straight on the axle and pinch the rims with the collars hope this helps ya out
Rockies26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #170
Quarry Creeper

sandblaster87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #171
Pebble Pounder

Two more trailers added to my fleet..

And my ongoing Arctic trailer

As for suspension, I like to use leaf springs on my builds..
A look under my SWAT trailer..

I usuall use these parts:

For the U bolts I use some 3mm wire clamps that can be found in boat supply store or other stores that deals with wires..

For the axle itself I use a 5mm bar...

To locate the wheel axle in the center of the leaf springs, I use some modified Tamiya HL leaf blocks..

Together they look like this:

For the wheels I find some buggy or 2wd wheels that use bearings.
To secure the wheel to the axle I use some 5mm aeroplane wheel collars, one at each side of the wheel..

Or I modify some hex driven wheels with bearings on each side pluss the collars..

I could have useded a 4mm all thread rod with a 5x4 tube on the utside to secure the wheel with a wheel nut, but I have found the all thread too weak to use this method...

Plenty of ways to do it, find a way that are easy for you, both work wice and easy to get the needed parts.
But I hope I have given you some ideas and help along the way

Edit: If you can't find wheel collars for aeroplane, you can use the goldish bearings that comes with the most of the Tamiya kits (the ones most people throw away - not me).
Simply drill a hole in the middle and tap it with a 3mm tap and screw in some set screws.

Last edited by caprinut; 02-14-2011 at 04:47 PM.
caprinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #172
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig_p232 View Post
Here are some of mine.

Nate

Do you have 5th wheel hitches or ya runnin somethin homemade?? if ya have a 5th wheel hitch where did ya get it??
NVUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #173
Quarry Creeper

The red one is a custom goose neck and the other two are tamiya semi fifth wheel or similar.

Nate
sig_p232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #174
I wanna be Dave

I had no idea that this thread existed until today, I just updated my large scale jeep build w/ a trailer build but I' transfer the trailer section over here.

here's a new update, I started building a HD trailer for the Jeep. I've seen a few in here so I didn't want to copy anyone elses work, so I started by measuring out something that would be a bit narrower then the tow rig ( Jeep), I wanted a leaf spring suspension and a HD axle. I haven't decided if I'll make it into a cargo utility box or maybe some type of pop-up shelter, my driver whines as much as 'survivor man' when he has to sleep on the dirt!

After a bit of measuring I came up with a 3' x 5' trailer, this allowed me to not have any wheel wells inside of the cargo area and it's still not as wide as the Jeep. The frame is all brazed together so there's no hardware to come loose and fall off on the trail! The axle is the second one that I've built, the first attempt was in a different thread in the 'general scaler' section, I managed to destroy one of the spindles while trying to make the axle wide enough so I had to start over again today.

Here's the basic frame.

Here's the HD axle, I modified some CAC hub adapter to use bearings so that each tire can spin freely.

Here's everything semi-assembled so I could get an idea of the height of the hitch. I still need to make some shackles for the rear of the leafs.

This is a fun project, it should be stout enough to survive being bashed into rocks without breaking!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #175

Here's my finished trailer setup. 1/2"x1/2" square tubed trailer, expanded metal, working tongue jack and custom hitch (not pictured). Its got a 23" Long x 12" Wide platform to put my pulling tractor on to be pulled by my SCX10 in the first picture. Sorry for the large size.

EastTnCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #176
Quarry Creeper

not to fancy but it had leaf springs

86zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #177

A friend needed a trailer for his Jeep, and I hence built one for him:

5 mm styrene bottom plate, sides och fenders made from 1,5 mm styrene and 0,5 mm styrene for the details.

5 mm steel rod should last good. The paint is Daler & Rowney FW Acrylic Ink. A very nice paint for airbrushing. It can take most wet situations.

Opening tail gate. The wood is mahogany. Wheels are 1,55" steel wheels and RC4wd Dirt Grabbers.

Working tail gate latches. Aluminum tail light consoles. Lights from http://www.scaleoffroad.de .

2 mm chain och small jewelry latches.

Axle built from Thunder Tiger ZK-2 parts. Losi Mini-T parts should work quite similar. The axle is glued and then screwed on to the bottom plate. The suspension is very supple and can take a beating. There are aluminum tubes placed at the axle base to ease future LED light installation.

The coupling and ball are HPI Savage X steering parts. The ball is brazed on to the steel rod.
kamikazekalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #178
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuatto View Post
I love this trailer,what did you use for the shock lift cylinders for the top and how are your axles done?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
Thanks for the compliment too.
The lift cyl is brass tubing one slipped inside the other. There is enough length in mine that friction holds it open just fine.
The axle is brake tube held to the leafs with u-bolts. I used threaded rod run through to hold the wheels on.

Hope that helps...sorry again for taking so long.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #179
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini View Post
I don't have pics but here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_uNJy91zg

nice ..
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #180
Rock Stacker

Default Trailer Update

Changed to 1.9 wheels, still have to work on some guards and lights.

Name:  IMG_0493 [50%] [640x480].JPG
Views: 4442
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0666 [50%] [50%].JPG
Views: 4460
Size:  85.5 KB
revo au is offline   Reply With Quote