Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: A Black Cat builds...his second crawler: SSD Trail King Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default A Black Cat builds...his second crawler: SSD Trail King Pro

Today, while my clients were enjoying their lunch, I decided to start on my Trail King Pro (I also had the Trail Finder 2 kit, as well as my "Imperial" Capra, with me, but I'm still waiting on delivery of the screw kits & Fast Eddie bearing for both...so, starting the TF2 build, and upgrading the Capra, will have to wait a little longer). I was able to build both axles, as well as the transmission/T-case.
All three went together quite easily, and the tranny) T-case rotates almost as smooth as butter. I said "almost", because there is a very, very minor "grinding" going on, but I expect that to clear up within the first 1-2 battery packs...and, maybe "grinding" isn't the right word. It's not binding, or even "grinding"...more of a very slight "rough patch" when the rotation (of the rear output) reaches a specific location. Anyway, once the TK is finished, and I've got it operational, I'll check the tranny/T-case again after the first 1-2 packs.

I didn't get more done, in part because my stomach needed some "energy", and because the clients finished earlier than expected. No worries, tho...I'll work on it some more tomorrow. I am planning, for the first time, on building this vehicle 'stock', and then upgrading later. We'll see if I can follow that "plan" (or not). This would be because, with all of the other kits I've built (the Capra, an XRAY T4, and several off-road race vehicles), I was 'upgrading' than as I built them (such as Ti turnbuckles, ceramic bearings, Ti or SS screws, brass weights, etc).

In addition to this being my second crawler, it will also be my first "build thread". I've created a few post-build threads for some of my vehicles...most notably my Start Wars-themed Capra...but I've never before done a true "build thread". So, I'll have to see how this one goes.

Stay tuned for updates...they could be slow (or fast) in coming, but they will come..........

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-09-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A Black Cat builds...his second crawler: SSD Trail King Pro

PART 2

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to continue yesterday...but, thankfully, while today's clients were enjoying "Hamilton" at San Francisco's Orpheum Theatre (and after I ate lunch), I had some time to work on the TK. I finished the links, and built the majority of the chassis.Unfortunately, as you can see, the motor & transmission/T-case are missing. I skipped those steps (for now), as I'm still trying to decide on what ESC/motor combo to go with. I'm currently considering two options:
1) Hobbywing AXE F.O.C. System
2) Castle Mamba X (or Mamba Micro X w/ external CC BEC 2.0), and HH PP 'Standard'

I should mention that, in addition to the TK, I'll also be starting a TF2 soon (the building of both vehicles will overlap), and the same ESC/motor combos are under consideration. The TK is targeted at being more of a scale-ish comp crawler, while the TF2 is targeted to be a super-scale crawler.

If anyone has suggestions/recommendations, on these, or other, combos, my ears (and eyes) are open. Hopefully, the above info will help anyone interested in providing suggestions/recommendations. S before, more updates to follow. At the same time, the sooner a decision is made for the TK's ESC & mirror, the sooner I can start progressing forget on the build (don't want to get too far into the build without the motor/tranny in place).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-09-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

PART 3

Honestly, part 3 doesn't contain much, and no photos, so I'll add the "part 3" info into "part 4".

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-10-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:56 AM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

Always happy to see more trail king builds. Glad you snagged one!

Any chance you can resize your pics? Makes viewing the thread a bit challenging since I can’t zoom out to get the posts to fit in the phone screen
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Always happy to see more trail king builds. Glad you snagged one!

Any chance you can resize your pics? Makes viewing the thread a bit challenging since I can’t zoom out to get the posts to fit in the phone screen
Photos resized. Hopefully, that helps.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Much better. Thank you.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
PART 2

I skipped those steps (for now), as I'm still trying to decide on what ESC/motor combo to go with. I'm currently considering two options:
1) Hobbywing AXE F.O.C. System
2) Castle Mamba X (or Mamba Micro X w/ external CC BEC 2.0), and HH PP 'Standard'

I should mention that, in addition to the TK, I'll also be starting a TF2 soon (the building of both vehicles will overlap), and the same ESC/motor combos are under consideration. The TK is targeted at being more of a scale-ish comp crawler, while the TF2 is targeted to be a super-scale crawler.

If anyone has suggestions/recommendations, on these, or other, combos, my ears (and eyes) are open. Hopefully, the above info will help anyone interested in providing suggestions/recommendations. S before, more updates to follow. At the same time, the sooner a decision is made for the TK's ESC & mirror, the sooner I can start progressing forget on the build (don't want to get too far into the build without the motor/tranny in place).

on my SSD TK I have a Mamba Micro X and Castle 1406, 2850kv. No problems with the Micro X, don't think there'll be any real reason to use a full sized Mamba. The 2850kv might be a bit too much wheel speed for some, but I really like it, its a beast!!!
rustyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshack View Post
on my SSD TK I have a Mamba Micro X and Castle 1406, 2850kv. No problems with the Micro X, don't think there'll be any real reason to use a full sized Mamba. The 2850kv might be a bit too much wheel speed for some, but I really like it, its a beast!!!
Haven't ordered the ESC...yet...partly because I'm still debating between the Mamba X & Mamba Micro X. As for the motor, I've ordered a HH PP STD 2200kV. The Micro X would cost less, even with me adding a CC BEC 2.0...but, at the same time, I know that the Mamba X is 'better' than the Micro X (how much 'better' is open to debate).

Old 12-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

PART 4 (and Part 3)

Starting with Part 3 (completed yesterday morning), there's no photos...but, there isn't much info. As mentioned yesterday, I decided on the motor (Holmes Hobbies PullerPro Standard 2200kV), which was delivered to my work address today (along with some parts for the TF2 I'll be building, and some Landmines 1.9 tires for my Axial Capra). Additionally, I took the Trail King shocks apart, and put them back together with a little Green Slime. Not sure what weight oil to use (very open, and welcome, to suggestions), so I decided to start with 40wt in the front, and 45wt in the rear. And, that's or for Part 3

PART 4

Moving onto today's work, while this afternoon's clients were enjoying some wine, a glass blowing demonstration, and a little Bocce Ball, I finished the chassis.

Ok....technically, it's not truly "finished", as neither the motor, not the shocks, are installed, but, for all sense & purposes, it's finished. Overall, the chassis went together extremely easily, with only one problem...which was entirely my fault (I accidentally installed the rockers on the wrong sides, and upside-down...lol). Thankfully, said problem was easily corrected.

I don't know whether, or not, it's true that the founder of SSD formally worked for RC4WD, but, if he did, he's obviously learned from RC4WD's mistakes/problems, applied what he learned, and SSD is great because of it. I'm NOT saying RC4WD is a "bad" company, or that they produce "bad" products (after all, I will also be building a TF2)...I'm just saying that SSD is "better".

Getting back on-track, I still need to decide on a body, wheels, and tires...plus, if possible, is like to add some non-rotational mass weight to the front. Suggestions? The wheels will be SSD, just undecided as to which...and undecided whether 1.55", or 1.9" is more "appropriate". I will continue reading other people's TK build threads, which will (hopefully) give me some ideas, but I'm always open to suggestions in here.

UPGRADES:
I know it's probably a little early to start thinking about upgrades (or, is it?), but one I already know I'll be doing is adding the OD gears up front. Within a few months (again, I do want some time to drive the stock vehicle before upgrades are done), I'll probably be interested in replacing the axles, probably with the Diamond Pro housings, and machined tubes. Any other upgrades I should consider?

Old 12-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #10

Nice! So part of your TK build was completed in your car? Is that correct?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Nice! So part of your TK build was completed in your car? Is that correct?
Thank you. I am enjoying the build.

As for the vehicle, close...but, no. I'm a professional chauffeur, Class B vehicles (14 passenger Sprinters, 23-47 passenger minibuses, and motorcoaches). On any given day, I can be picking up and/or dropping off clients anywhere in Northern California...although most of it involves the greater SF Bay Area (Napa to Monterey/Carmel/Pebble Beach, to Sacramento). I have, however, driven clients as far as Santa Monica & Mendocino, plus we do occasionally take clients to Tahoe or Yosemite. Several months ago, one of our chauffeur drive a client all the way to San Diego.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Can't wait to start building mine. Under the tree for my kids to give me along with a hobby wing axe 1800 kv. Going to make this one a scale rig.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Nice progress!

IMO it doesn’t really need much for upgrades, I’d suggest starting with the overdrive like you have planned and some ssd brass AR44 knuckles and see how you like it.

As far as the esc, I’ve never had a micro mamba x, but I’ve also never wished I had one of those instead of the regular mamba x’s that I do have so if you can make it happen I’d go for the mamba x. Maybe try and find a used one for around $100. Then you’ll always have the option of 4s if you ever want it, and won’t need a bec for most servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Can't wait to start building mine. Under the tree for my kids to give me along with a hobby wing axe 1800 kv. Going to make this one a scale rig.
Congrats! That will be fun to build and drive.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Personally I prefer the Micro X simply because of its compact size, the standard X seems huge in comparison. The only reason I size up from the micro is if I exceed its weight limit. Other than that the micro provides all of the great feature of the standard X, all it lacks is the BEC.

Also worth noting, I live in a pretty cool climate so temps stay relatively low, folks in hotter climates may run hotter possibly too hot.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced on the AXE F.O.C. System...but, if I do decide to go for it, it would be going in the TF2 (either that, or another Mamba X/HH PP STD combo). For now, only the TF2 will be built as a "scale rig" (technically, a "super-scale"), with the TK probably getting a Lexan body (alright, when I decide to 'upgrade' the TK, I might change it to a "scale" w/ hard plastic body...still undecided.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Personally I prefer the Micro X simply because of its compact size, the standard X seems huge in comparison. The only reason I size up from the micro is if I exceed its weight limit. Other than that the micro provides all of the great feature of the standard X, all it lacks is the BEC.

Also worth noting, I live in a pretty cool climate so temps stay relatively low, folks in hotter climates may run hotter possibly too hot.
That’s a good point about the footprint, it is certainly a lot smaller and lighter.

What’s the heaviest rig you have running on your micros if you don’t mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced on the AXE F.O.C. System...but, if I do decide to go for it, it would be going in the TF2 (either that, or another Mamba X/HH PP STD combo). For now, only the TF2 will be built as a "scale rig" (technically, a "super-scale"), with the TK probably getting a Lexan body (alright, when I decide to 'upgrade' the TK, I might change it to a "scale" w/ hard plastic body...still undecided.

The body for the TK is indeed a hard decision. I’m still undecided on my long term plans with it but I want feature the engine somehow.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What’s the heaviest rig you have running on your micros if you don’t mind me asking?

The heaviest rig I have running the micro is 7 lb 15 oz. I mostly crawl but sometimes I hillclimb when I'm running in the woods.

I think everyone's mileage may vary based on how they drive, motor type and so on. I only run these with brushed motors (just my preference) and I have a feeling that gives a little more headroom compared to a brushless motor.

Here's a quote out of the application guidelines:

"Low speed crawling or trail running in vehicles weighing up to 8lbs. If you're looking for a more aggressive setup, like rock racing and extended hill climbing it is recommend to run the Mamba X ESC with the same motor."

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-10-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The body for the TK is indeed a hard decision. I’m still undecided on my long term plans with it but I want feature the engine somehow.
I do to...eventually. But, that's for when I upgrade/convert it to a "scale" crawler, which is also when I'll have to determine what hard plastic body to go with. In the meantime, I still need to decide on a Lexan body. I'd prefer a Toyota, but I'm open to other non-American options (no, I'm not anti-American...just don't care for most American vehicles, with a few exceptions: late 60s Mustang & Camero, 71 Mustang Mach 1, 63 Corvette, 53 Corvette). Also, while I'm somewhat open to body styles, I'd prefer a truck over a full-body SUV.

Quote:
The heaviest rig I have running the micro is 7 lb 15 oz. I mostly crawl but sometimes I hillclimb when I'm running in the woods.

"Low speed crawling or trail running in vehicles weighing up to 8lbs. If you're looking for a more aggressive setup, like rock racing and extended hill climbing it is recommend to run the Mamba X ESC with the same motor."
So...what you're saying is, you've got a vehicle that's "topping the scale" at the max limit for low-speed crawling, yet you still (occasionally) user the Micro X for Hill climbing (of which CC says the max on the Micto X should be 4lbs)?

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-10-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I need a bit more wheelspeed in the woods but its nothing crazy, I crawl what I can and bump up the rest. Haven't had any issues but like I said your mileage may vary. I've got 4 rigs running these and I haven't ever had heat issues, weights range from 5 lb 11 oz to just under 8 lb.

Robert from Castle has said that these numbers are a bit loose as well.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:26 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Robert from Castle has said that these numbers are a bit loose as well.
I've had that feeling...not only with Castle products, but also HW & Tekin. A Mamba Micro X, along with a CC BEC 2.0, should be just as good as a Mamba X. Is it possible to install a fan on the Micro X, to help keep it cooler "just in case"?

The 2A internal BEC, set @ 6.0V, should be more than enough to power a few LEDs, and the external BEC, using a HH Receiver Bypass Adapter, could be set to 7.4V for a steering servo...at least, that's my thought. HH even makes a dual-servo version, which could be used in a 4WS rig.

A Black Cat builds...his second crawler: SSD Trail King Pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish VS4-10 Pro vs SSD RC Trail King Pro Panther6834 General Scale Talk 23 11-30-2019 10:51 PM
NEW SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis - IN STOCK! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-12-2019 12:31 PM
Pre-Order Now!!! New SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 3 06-05-2019 08:34 AM
Yet another sneak peak of the NEW SSD Trail King Pro Scale Chassis! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 05-24-2019 04:08 PM
Coming Soon - NEW SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 05-19-2019 05:50 AM