Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 16er Super

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 16er Super

I wanted to build a super for general bashing, and to let other club members compete with. We are running super class this season and the more competition the merrier. Plus I gotta do something with all this clod stuff.

Chassis: El Nino
Axles: Clod plastic rear w/ TTR straights, Aluminum front with TTR CVD's
Suspension: Homebrew 3/8" links, Losi .6 shocks
Electronics: Punkdig, DX3R, Sidewinder w/ bec, 3s lipo, 55 turn integy's
Wheels/tires: Currently undecided. Looking for light and 6-6.5" tall. I may try to hack some rovers or cougars, but that doesn't usually turn out well.

Here is the initial mock up.

And after I added the shock mounts to the links.

So I wanted it to have a low CG and lots of clearance. Flipped shocks and castor added front axle lowers CG a bit. I am also going to make a lipo skid like the TIE ones.

Lipos skid, upper links, wheels/tires, and wiring is all left. Hope to have this one done by the comp on the 30th.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

looks like a nice start. keep the pics coming of your progress.
twisted crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted crawler View Post
looks like a nice start. keep the pics coming of your progress.
Thanks man, will do.

I figured out my uppers and mocked it up on my 6.5" tall rovers.

It looks perfect to me, just like a big 2.2. I think I'm going to run the black wheels and have to do another set of tires for it, since this set is going on the berg.

The front of the skid is at 4" and the bend in the rear links is at 5". Also the front end is 8oz heavier than the rear with no weight added.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

It looks like the chassis is riding a little high. Take that with a grain of salt. I think the rig looks awesome. Very nice.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Sick... What Wheels are those posted?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
It looks like the chassis is riding a little high. Take that with a grain of salt. I think the rig looks awesome. Very nice.
Thanks man. Ya its a little high, but I think the CG will end up pretty low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Sick... What Wheels are those posted?
The black wheels are some HPI's for the Savage I believe. 3.2" with a 14mm hex.

I made up another set of super rovers for this beast last night, now I just have to figure out foams.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

looks awesome!

just a word of advice for that old school El NiNo chassis though.
add a brace on each side plate from body post hole to body post hole!

we found with heavier rigs that it can tweak the chassis if it takes a big enough spill!

I believe we were using lst2 turnbuckles with revo rod ends!
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
looks awesome!

just a word of advice for that old school El NiNo chassis though.
add a brace on each side plate from body post hole to body post hole!

we found with heavier rigs that it can tweak the chassis if it takes a big enough spill!

I believe we were using lst2 turnbuckles with revo rod ends!
Hmm...I was curious about that. I'm thinking of adding a carbon fiber strip across the center of the chassis. Underneath the standoff's hole for the bodymounts. Just attach it with the body mount screws from underneath.

Well, here is the rig with the finshed wheels and tires. Im pretty proud of my work here with crappy glue and my amatuer skills.

I really want to run some Crawler Innovations foams in these rovers, because everyone knows that they are the bomb. But, I already have a set going in my super berg, and I really am trying to build this rig completely out of parts I have here. I am trying to not go out of pocket a single dollar, and I don't think I will have any trouble with that.

Here are the foams I am going to try first. The gray one on the left is going in the rears and are X-Lock foams sectioned and enlarged. The fronts are a panther F400 foam that has a 3.2" hole cut in the center. The outer foam is a sectioned full height rover foam.

After this pic I narrowed the outer rover foam on the fronts, and now they feel great. I may end up doing another set like the fronts for the rears, not sure yet.

Here is a pic of them mounted.

Now if you couldn't tell in the first pic, I siped the ba-jesus out of the tires, check it in zoom.

So now I need to work on steering and electronics. Here is full lock right.

I think I am going to mod the CVD's for more steering, and try to mod the knuckles for zero ackerman. Then I will for sure have to inboard the lower links.

I am also going to have to swap out these RC4WD tubes with some integy ones I have, because the RC4WD ones have the knuckle hole to far in and it puts a ton of pressure on the CVD and makes the steering very rough. Thats a bummer because they are heavy and I need as much weight on the front axle as possible (I'm not adding any to the wheels). However some sub-c's on these JP knuckles should fix that.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I made a lot of progress on this rig. I had never seen someone modify the TTR CVD's for more steering, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Here is stock.

Here is after I massaged them a bit.

Here is the steering afterwards. I inboarded the front lowers.

They have more travel left in them, but I would need a longer servo horn to make use of it. The tires already rub the links, so I think I will just leave it be.

I also made some knuckle weights. It is 4.5oz of lead wrap, wraped tight with electrical tape, then hit with hit shrink.

And here is the finised front end. It weighs over 1lb more than the rear of the truck.

This is my favorite part of this Super, 12" track width.

Yall won't believe the total weight of this thing.

Last edited by 4xFord; 01-23-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I am glad I figured out the pattern for you for the rovers. Nice super. I look forward to running with it the next time we get together.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Ya Eddie, you cracked the code for sure. But no worries your secret is good in my hands. I have made a few more changes, and I will update tonight. However, these homemade foams gotta go. I can already tell they blow. Expect a call later this afternoon ;).

Last edited by 4xFord; 01-25-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Ya Eddie, you cracked the code for sure. But no worries your secret is good in my hands. I have made a few more changes, and I will update tonight. However, these foams gotta go. I can already tell they blow. Expect a call later this afternoon ;).

I am glad to hear the R&D that goes into Nova Foams and my custom tire work is worth it.

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Nice work Shelby! I dig those knuckle weights.....I might have to steal that idea!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Nice work Shelby! I dig those knuckle weights.....I might have to steal that idea!
Thanks J. You need to stretch that 2.2 clod out to 16" and we can run them against each other. Let me know if you want to make those weights and I can bring you a strip of heatshrink for them to the comp on saturday. I have a ton of it that is the perfect size.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Hell yeah....sounds good! BTW, I might see if I can get a longer Pimp Cane chassis to run my clod...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well here she is RTR minus a body.

I bent the front uppers to clear the shock standoff at full compression. The punk dig, bec, and receiver are on the skid. A mamba max is on the front axle, and the battery velcros to a tray underneath the upper links. Everything is as low as I could get it.

Driving around my house I could tell the rear needed to be softer, or heavier. I lowered the rear shock angle (shown in the pic). Now I need to rebuild the shocks, add a body, and see how it does. If I need to a will add a few oz's of weight to the rear axle.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks sweet. Like those Rovers, Nova doe some nice work for sure. So whats the RTR weight, you never said?
cwneuwirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwneuwirth View Post
Looks sweet. Like those Rovers, Nova doe some nice work for sure. So whats the RTR weight, you never said?
I will weigh it tonight and let you know exactly what it weighs.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

6lbs 10.7oz RTR with a heavy 4 cell 1000mah pack and a full bodied grappler.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Got some testing in today. This truck is a ton of fun. The light weight and narrow track width makes it very maneuverable. Here are a few pics.

Check out this set of pics, skid never touches.

Some kids walked by and saw us playing. I asked them which was cooler, the super or my friends Losi MOA, this was their answer.