Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: e's ExMT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #201
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: e's ExMT

5 is cool. You're in for some good times.

That is precisely what guys are supposed to do! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do to whichever one you get. Please don't hesitate to post his mods, too?

The FPV will be fully documented here. It shouldn't be too long before I can get back to it. The Sweetheart is in the hands of experts now, and should be done pretty soon. As I have said before, I very rarely let other people build stuff for me, but this is for someone more important. I'm responsible for the axles, and as soon as A and M are happy, I'm gonna tear into 'em.

May I ask? Why are you thinking FPV?
ekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #202
DSC

We fly helis and some some planes as well. I have a small key chain cam that we use, son gets a kick out of that. I have no clue what to get as far as what components work with what. I'm a gear head....some of the FPV guys start throwing terms around that give me a headache..lol...

I told my son we could sit inside and run the trucks outside and see what they see...He cant wait...I'd like to see someone that has a set up...see how it works and go from there. Eventually I'd like to end up with a nice set of goggles and a cam on one of the planes.
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #203
ekd
Quarry Creeper

The goggle setups look pretty good. I'd like to take a look though one, sometime. They seem pricey, though.

Gear head here, too. Electronics is possibly my weakest point (right up there with my etiquette and my fashion sense).

Sockets punched to 3.83mm, bored to 4.04mm, given a slight chamfer and hand finished. Got a nice fit.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #204
ekd
Quarry Creeper

I figured out a couple things over my coffee:

The complexity of operating both a crawler and an effective cam system (with it's extra weight), and the fact that I would be limited to Supers by that weight... can be eliminated with one solution.

A wheelchair bound, plain spoken, and intensely competitive heli pilot... as a teammate. Think the Mutual Admiration Society would have a problem with that?

Also, the Hawk is getting offset, flipped transaxles.

Last edited by ekd; 12-15-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #205
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Made this to test the flats to yield.

As soon as the shop warms a bit, I'll twist this incrementally harder with a click type (mil spec) torque wrench... until it breaks.

We'll show it some "Mad" torque.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #206
ekd
Quarry Creeper

It yielded 90* without breaking set at 20ft/lbs.

The DRO will let me make a finishing climb cut that will significantly reduce stress risers (I'll test again, for fun), and good steel is open to a number of heat treatment and case hardening options, but...

The guarantee stands.

Treatments will be revisited if I ever need lightweight axles. At that point the shafts will be turned down to whatever dia causes them to fail, as opposed to the flats, 50% of the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by ekd; 12-16-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #207
DSC

Im sure Ive over looked it... But these axles units your building, are you selling these?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #208
RCC Addict

At this time its just an experiment to see how stout and inexpensive we can make these axles.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #209
DSC

Ok...Cool. Yall doing a good job.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #210
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
At this time its just an experiment to see how stout and inexpensive we can make these axles.
We'll add "light" to that once we have real comp results to prove durability. If the bench testing proves out in reality, there are lots of things to try next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
Ok...Cool. Yall doing a good job.
Thanks!

I'm having fun just getting used to the fact that I can F up here, and not kill a client.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #211
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Here's a future project, conceived a while back:

I bought a bunch of these 9.6v Harbor Freight drills, and cut the bottoms of the cases off to use the quick change pack system (holds up to 10 batts) to power emergency lighting, portable security devices, etc. It's a good system.

The planetary transmissions are very stout, and compact... 37:1 ratio.

I conceived using motor plates/gears to hang (4) 380 size motors under them, inside the wheels of a crawler with insane steering and ground clearance. Properly wired, it would have a wide range of skid/dig/pirouette options, and a huge percentage of the weight would naturally be right where it would be most needed.

I promised myself if I got another lathe... I'd try it.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Last edited by ekd; 12-18-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #212
ekd
Quarry Creeper

All steel secondary trans, and the spindle is big enough to cut into any size axle. 11.82mm dia, with 32mm of solid length (threaded bore to the C clip groove).

Anyone ever seen a Motor In Wheel setup out there?
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #213
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekd View Post
All steel secondary trans, and the spindle is big enough to cut into any size axle. 11.82mm dia, with 32mm of solid length (threaded bore to the C clip groove).

Anyone ever seen a Motor In Wheel setup out there?

I was actualy considering an idea like this a few months back but it's just didn't seam worth all the efort... I mean that's 4 motors and to be able to do some really cool tricks you're talking 4 ESC's!!! mega $$$$ to be spent here. now if we did this with say 4 HH Mini Tourq masters, instear of a 540 motor, there could be astounding results seeing has how you could literaly turn your wheel 90 degrees and drive sideways.

I'm going to have to dig though the rules and see if there's anything agains this for supers. I don't recall anything, the super class is almost anything goes as long as you have 4 wheels.

My original though was to take 4 front XR-10 axles and cut the housings and couple them together giving me 1 motor for each wheel. Not particular reason, just something crazy to do. then if you ran 4 ESC's you could program the stick to drive one wheel 3 wheels or any combination in between. You could probly do the same thing. It was just a crazy idea that I had.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #214
ekd
Quarry Creeper

A, the rules say nothing more than the power has to be delivered by 4 wheels.

A cheap servo will turn those variable speed triggers into ESCs.

If a beam front axle is used with overhead spindles (think small '40-'60 farm tractor) 380* steering would be easy... steered with cables like a boat, using a winch servo.

Imagine having every option:

+0- caster
+0- camber
+0- scrub
insane GC over CG ratio.

Somebody has to say it: The elite are spending good money moving mere grams, mere centimeters... on 10# rigs. 50.5* of steering is $300. A significant percentage of the weight of many rigs is Brass.

That slight smell of denial and decay... is straight axles. God love em'... they got us as far as anyone on the planet could refine them.

I submit that a careful craftsman, using basic tools, could turn 4 cheap drills into a very capable crawler (with a ton of extra batteries and 4 chargers) for the price of a pair of 300s. I'd bet everyone who has posted on the infamous EC thread could do it.

Tis the season for drill deals, too.

I'm gonna do this. Imagine... nothing for the brand loyal to hate... no "copycat" claims... and no exclusive single source parts... instead, worldwide availability.

Ought to be, at least, good for a laugh...
Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #215
Quarry Creeper

You go Eric. For a person who has a lot time on his hands, I think you can make a Monster out of those. With that idea you could set them up where the wheels are always vertical. Dreams, Dreams, Dreams! we all dream and sometimes they become reality. Usually it is!
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #216
I wanna be Dave

There have been a few attempts at motor in wheel or motor on hub style axles. I think the biggest obstacle is electronics. Dual ESC is just now getting figured out for proportional mixing though, so it is only a matter of time before there is a radio that can support quad escs (or servos if you did it that way.)

I actually thought about using some planetary gearboxes and a center pivot chassis. Then I looked at doing something like the Jeep Hurricane. Skid steer, dual motor, dual dig, quad steer, etc. Both plans started looking fairly expensive to get all the parts together, so in 1's and 0's it remains.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #217
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekd View Post
A, the rules say nothing more than the power has to be delivered by 4 wheels.

A cheap servo will turn those variable speed triggers into ESCs.

If a beam front axle is used with overhead spindles (think small '40-'60 farm tractor) 380* steering would be easy... steered with cables like a boat, using a winch servo.

Imagine having every option:

+0- caster
+0- camber
+0- scrub
insane GC over CG ratio.

Somebody has to say it: The elite are spending good money moving mere grams, mere centimeters... on 10# rigs. 50.5* of steering is $300. A significant percentage of the weight of many rigs is Brass.

That slight smell of denial and decay... is straight axles. God love em'... they got us as far as anyone on the planet could refine them.

I submit that a careful craftsman, using basic tools, could turn 4 cheap drills into a very capable crawler (with a ton of extra batteries and 4 chargers) for the price of a pair of 300s. I'd bet everyone who has posted on the infamous EC thread could do it.

Tis the season for drill deals, too.

I'm gonna do this. Imagine... nothing for the brand loyal to hate... no "copycat" claims... and no exclusive single source parts... instead, worldwide availability.

Ought to be, at least, good for a laugh...
I'm down, I'de love to see what you come up with. I can imagine really big knuckles and c's so that the motors sit inside and wheels with a offset so that the motor and everything sits in the wheels well!! then you could just attach it to a strait piece of aluminum for an axle then off you go.

Here's an idea for you, what if we just eliminated the planitary gears and used a stepper motor?

Pololu - Stepper Motor: Bipolar, 200 Steps/Rev, 35x26mm, 7.4V, 280mA

say 4 of these?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #218
RCC Addict

Pololu - Tamiya 72101 Gear Head Motor + Sponge Tire Set

Or this would work, use 4 of them!!! To move a 10 LB robot, 4 of them to run a super should be plenty!!

The Tamiya 72101 gear head motor and 64-mm sponge tire set is part of Tamiya’s new line of products designed specifically for robots. The 380-size motors are substantially larger than the 130- and 260-size motors found in the smaller Tamiya gearbox kits, making this drive set capable of moving medium-sized robots weighing up to approximately 10 pounds.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #219
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT2011 View Post
You go Eric. For a person who has a lot time on his hands, I think you can make a Monster out of those. With that idea you could set them up where the wheels are always vertical. Dreams, Dreams, Dreams! we all dream and sometimes they become reality. Usually it is!

Every time I see vid of the Chainlink ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_F7QrR4Ur8 ), I think "what if you got rid of all that crap in the middle... and, all those people"

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
There have been a few attempts at motor in wheel or motor on hub style axles. I think the biggest obstacle is electronics. Dual ESC is just now getting figured out for proportional mixing though, so it is only a matter of time before there is a radio that can support quad escs (or servos if you did it that way.)

I actually thought about using some planetary gearboxes and a center pivot chassis. Then I looked at doing something like the Jeep Hurricane. Skid steer, dual motor, dual dig, quad steer, etc. Both plans started looking fairly expensive to get all the parts together, so in 1's and 0's it remains.
I'm betting 2 ESCs, for side to side speed and rotational control (on 2 sticks?)... combined with hundreds of degrees of steering... ought to lay a few Old Dogs to rest. Not sure anything else would ever be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
Pololu - Tamiya 72101 Gear Head Motor + Sponge Tire Set

Or this would work, use 4 of them!!! To move a 10 LB robot, 4 of them to run a super should be plenty!!

The Tamiya 72101 gear head motor and 64-mm sponge tire set is part of Tamiya’s new line of products designed specifically for robots. The 380-size motors are substantially larger than the 130- and 260-size motors found in the smaller Tamiya gearbox kits, making this drive set capable of moving medium-sized robots weighing up to approximately 10 pounds.
There are sure to be more elegant ways to do this, but all I need, short of wheels and tires... is in stock here. I tore the RC budget to hell the last couple months. It is best if I stay busy without touching cash for a while...

Last edited by ekd; 12-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #220
RCC Addict

Here you go, this is what i worked up with the TAMIYA Gear Motors(380 size).

ratio 75:1 doesn't seam too bad... It would probly run a little on the slow side, but look how low the COG will with the motors sitting below the center line of the axle not to mention the ability to give mad clearance under the center of the axle. I wonder if I would be able to fit an HH 380 motor on these.

Now if I could only find a place to buy them without the wheels.

EDIT - I Mean 15in Track Width
Attached Images

Last edited by Abavuso; 12-18-2011 at 10:18 PM.