Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Build ideas.. thinking out loud

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

Default Build ideas.. thinking out loud

First of all I have never built a super and I don't plan on it, but the bench racer in me has had a few ideas floating around that I thought I would get some feedback on.

The main idea is to eliminate the traditional axle configuration and mount the (most likely stubby due to wheel width constraints) motors to the knuckles on the inside of the wheels, where most are mounting supplemental weights, and drive a female gear attached to the wheel.

By eliminating the need for axle shafts the main axle structure could be moved up and toward the center of the vehicle to maximize clearance.

Weight and the number of rotating parts would be potentially reduced by having the direct wheel drive, along with the ability to control each wheel independently (one wheel drive, skid steering, etc.)

The major problem as I see it would be the need for an extremely rigid wheel as any deflection or loss in concentricity would cause gear stripping. A possible solution to this would be allowed by the design. Being that the wheel is no longer driven by/attached to the axle shaft a much stouter spindle and hub arrangement can be utilized. Namely larger, more widely spaced bearings on a solid spindle.

Another potential issue would be obtaining enough gearing, but with the new generation of 6-7" plus wheels I believe enough reduction can be achieved.

I haven't searched much on this topic so if it has been done I would love to see it, otherwise please share your thoughts.
JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Build ideas.. thinking out loud

Go for it.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #3

Default Re: Build ideas.. thinking out loud

that's similar to quad copters. The hardest part would be finding an esc that can handle 4 motors, or somehow integrate the hardware from a quad copter.
Byrd-Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Build ideas.. thinking out loud - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Thinking Out Loud Mike Flea Axial AX10 2nd-gen 56 11-01-2013 06:24 PM
Thinking about a scaler build rubiconrockkrawler Newbie General 5 01-11-2011 09:30 AM
thinking 2.2 build vipxj Tamiya Clod Buster 6 06-15-2008 12:17 PM
Thinking out loud (water proofing, shocks, tires) 87Warrior General Crawlers 3 04-11-2006 10:35 AM
So I was thinking (new comp ideas) egdinger General Crawlers 15 07-28-2005 09:23 AM