Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Let the tinkering commence!! Something new everyday!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Let the tinkering commence!! Something new everyday!!

Hey guys, I finally got my Clod today, man is it cool! I spent at least five minutes just staring at it and it's huge-ness.....especially the massive tires! I mean, I'm used to my Pede being big with the CJ8 body and all, but this sucker is humongo! I pulled my Super Chicken off my dresser as well as my receiver from the garage, and went to work.

Well actually, it started with pulling TONS of spider webs and their itty bitty creators off every single darn crevace, and putting the wheels on. I was stunned to see that the guy included a Futaba Magnum Sport transmitter and receiver with it, but since I got no need for them, my sis gets a new radio. I then had to make a battery tray (seller didn't use one or something weird ) out of some thin sheet alum., angled the sides for more strength, and installed it with four zip ties. I covered the battery side with duct tape to prevent any weird problems (and to keep from wearing out the cells), and zip tied my Fusion pack in. After several failed attempts at motor lead soldering, I got it right, and set up the Super Chicken to celebrate. It worked great, so I went out for some fun.

I am SHOCKED at how good this sucker can crawl!!! My brother can vouch for the fact that it can go up and down curbs with ease, gets almost 80-85* of articulation 8O and, even with stock Tamiya silver can motors, powers up and over anything I could find! I was outside for almost 20 minutes on one charge, and it wasn't even dead by the time I can in too!

Now, the bad part: it needs help. With fully locked diffs, a SEVERELY overburdened servo, and two wheel steering, it sloloms like a freight train with no wheels. I really, really, REALLY need to get some XTM 175MGHP servos tomorrow, and set it up for four wheel steering. I think everything else will be fine, but we'll see.

I don't have pics yet, I'll try to get them this afternoon.
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2004, 10:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Let the tinkering commence!!

Yep, I've been there w/ the 2WS F&R locked and a 135 Oz-in servo, took a whole street width to turn around One thing I noticed that helped is if the truck is set up right, you can floor it around a turn and pickup the inside front tire, it'll turn around pretty quick once you get the hang of it (and don't roll over)
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The only way I can roll it over right now is to do a weird angle, then it flips pretty good. As far as steering, it's SAD! The poor servo groans and struggles to barely move the wheels, and I wind up having to put it in reverse while steering to get anything done.

This sure is a different truck than my 40mph Lehner 5300 Pede, mainly because it's so dang slow! My Pede wheelies everywhere, and bombs up and down our street, I guess my Clod will have to do with pooping around at a sad 12mph, because it can climb anything!
Old 09-10-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Location: ROCK CRAWLIN AND RACING WHERE I WANT AND HOW I WANT!!!

Hurry up with the pics we want to check it out to
RocJoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, still no pics, maybe tomorrow. :?

I got the 4ws worked out pretty good by making a custom rear mount......which actually works better than the front one. I guess I gotta make another one for the front, becuase the XTM servo easily torques the plastic around.

I'm also getting tired of just climbing up curbs with it, I gotta hit the rocks!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yea, pics would be cool? Sounds way too fast. My crawler tops out at 1-2Mph. But to each his own.
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
bendforthebone

badtodabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:37 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1sstang
Yea, pics would be cool? Sounds way too fast. My crawler tops out at 1-2Mph. But to each his own.
thats just something that clods do, unless you've got some low RPM motors and 9tooths. But since electric motors have all their availible torque at 0 rpm.. they still manage ;)
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, I finally snapped some shots of my new beast!

Oh yeah, four wheel steering!

Wee bit 'o flexin'! For those that don't know, that's my CJ8 topped E-Pede with a 2.2" buggy wheel on top!

Hmmmmm.....I might be onto something here!

Just about maxxed out!

And the clear gear covers!

I'll be back later to talk about is some more, I gotta go right now!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Let the tinkering commence!! FINALLY WITH PICS!!!

Pics don't work for me....
KidWithAcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

fix the pics!
Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Right now, photobucket is down. The pics will show up once it's back up. This thing is awesome in person, and so no body gets confused, I'm his brother.
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Is it the clod with the pink chassis that I saw on ebay?? It was like 1 month ago since that ebay actuon and he just now got it...?

It looked awesme on ebay. It needs some more wheelbase in my opinion, but i thik it's cool. I want to see the pics of it. To bad photo bucket is down.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I can's see the pics either. If there even there.
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Yea the chassis was a redish pink color, with a flamejob on the stock hardbody. I cant wait to see the pics, hopefully photobucket will be up tomorrow.
Jim511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Image bucket is up, but the links don't work.

I think it is the " ... " in the url.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

D'oh! I think I direct cut and pasted the links from URC which shortens long links to have "..." in them, but now I directly put them in with "img" tags. Check back, they should work now!
Old 09-13-2004, 09:23 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Let the tinkering commence!! Finally with WORKING pics!!

Hey everyone, im the original owner and builder of this truck. I have noooo idea how the spiders got in there lol, maybe there was an egg in the box or something because the truck had NOTHING on it when i put it in. Anyways, im glad you like it, im glad you are finishing it too it was something i wanted to do for a while but, i coudlnt afford a super chicken bats or charger, bit low on money, plus paying for car and insurance lol, anyways, i was gonna suggest maybe adding 2 more support links in the front or back so the chassis doesnt flex as much, and also maybe someday invest in some aluminum shock things, where they hook to the links, so you dont ever have to worry about them sliding, im glad the locked diffs are worken good for ya, i cleaned all the gears out while i had it unassembled so i dont think you will have any probs with that for a while, and maybe some new umm, body mounts, lol, anyways, looken great man, keep posten pics !! hehe, i wanna see how it comes out, when i get a better job i am definatly going to build another one, better though, with a custom chassis :-p

Vegerito
Vegerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Jerry, glad you like it so far. As long as I don't have a body on, I don't mind the chassis flex, it adds to the articulation! Speaking of a body, I will scrounge my junk boxes and see if I still have some long HPI posts, and drill some holes in the CJ8 to use as a temp. lid. As a matter of fact, I think I might sell the stock hard Chevy body (with cool flame job), and use the $$$ to get a Land Cruiser or another CJ8.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:47 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Jerry, you got any more clods? ;)
camel_rc is offline   Reply With Quote