Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 6 tooth pinion install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 6 tooth pinion install

I finaly got my pinions today from rc4wd, the shipping took about a week, not to bad. I must say that these should have been made a lond time ago!! The only trouble I had was that I had to trim the outside of the gear case because some of the fins kept the motor from moving back far enough to engage the teeth, these are pointed out in the pics below. I don't know if this will be a problem for everyone but it was for me.
First impression is HOLY CRAP!!! the control and torque is awsome, I am using my hand wound 35 turn integy lathe motors on 8.4v and the speed is perfect. It is a hair faster than the 55 turns and 9 tooth pinions but way mor controlable, also since I have dual esc I noticed that if I pull with the front only the rear has enough holding power to slide the rear tires now(moab xl's).
The pinions are longer than the rc4wd 9 tooths that I was using previously so I had full gear mesh even with the adjustable mounts.
In conclusion I am very pleased though my axle shafts are not. I would recomend this to everyone, although a lower turn motor such as a 45 turn would be about right, I like mine a little fast so I will stick with the 35's.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kamikaze; 11-14-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

That thing is so small it's rediculous.

Your pinion gear is small too.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
That thing is so small it's rediculous.

Your pinion gear is small too.
What are you implying sir????
Old 11-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ordered some 8 tooth the other night.I want to see someone running they so small they scare me:-( Keep us posted
EMUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well if they are heat treated the way they are suppost to be then I don't thonk they will break, there a little more meaty than they look in the pictures. I build a lot of stuff at work that i send out to be heat treated and these pinions seem to be done right. besides I see the inner hexes stripping first. I know I just stripped another one, gosh I need to get some aluminum lockers.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

I have no idea. I'm just afraid that your gearing is going to be better than mine, and when I'm afraid I try to ridicucle size.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Maybe you should just make some "and me to LOL"
EMUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMUTT
Maybe you should just make some "and me to LOL"
Well I've been digging through this huge box of gear hobs, that my boss bought at an auction, for about a week looking for the right one. Theres got to be 400 hobs in there and not one of them is the right pitch. But if i find it that will be the first thing I do.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

How long have you been running them? Seeing how theres only 1 tooth meshing with the counter gear I would think you would be killing the stock plastic gears alot?

Man those things are tiny
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I ran a whole charge through it so about an hour or so, I pretty much beat it against the concrete stairs on my front porch, with my motors I was getting the whole vehicle of the ground and slamming it back down, the only thing I got to turn loose was the inner hex on the right rear. Also the have about the same gear mesh as the 9 tooths but they mesh the whole width of the gear instead of being short like the 9 tooth I was running. I realy don't see them breaking, I see axles snapping but not pinions. They look preaty stout to me. Ask BADD about my motors, they are killer and the pinions took what I had to give them and the axle gave first. Also that was a brand new hex that was glued in that I stripped.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:22 AM   #11
I lost my vendor privileges

55 turn axle snappers, 8 tooths, 14.4 thru them does good. mutt hope you get your pinions soon so we can race. LMAO..
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This is interesting because I would have thought that there would be a total lack of wheel speed. I always preferred to have some extra juice for those times where getting the truck to hop would get it out of a bad spot.

I run 8 tooth pinions with Magnetic Mayhems and use my radio to adjust the throttle curve and have always been happy. Perhaps I need to order a set of these and see what they offer.
zBigBadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 AM   #13
~THE SCALE SHOP~

why in the world would you need 6T
i run 55T and 9T in my heavy rigs and never even come close to needing more torque or lower gearing.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #14

its just preference, why you hatin? and with lower turn motors like 35 or 45, the smaller the pinion the better.
schiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #15
~THE SCALE SHOP~

sorry didnt mean to come off that way. ive just never ran out of grunt.
with a 35T it might work great.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'm kinda glad people are so negative about these pinions, that meens I will have an advantage.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
MWRCA'er

You have like 1 tooth engaged for gear mesh. All the torque is transfered one tooth at a time, not good.

Your right though it would be about right gearing speed and torque wise. I just prefer the longer runtimes, greater durability and fitment the 55t/9t setup provides.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I see like 2 teeth engaged.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #19
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze
I see like 2 teeth engaged.
Only 1 tooth on your "spur" gear is engaged.

Keep us posted on the durability, I am very curious to see if it wears out the plastic gear quickly or not.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I am looking at my axle right now, at any time there are two pinion teeth and two plastic teeth touching. I beat on it today for an hour, still works good.

Also there are two teeth touching in this picture, why doesn't anyone beleive me???? I mean, does everyone that is disagreeing with me have 6 tooth pinions right in front of them??????? I guess I wouldn't be able to tell. THEY WORK FINE
Attached Images

Last edited by Kamikaze; 11-16-2006 at 05:35 PM.