Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Removing deans connectors on Pimpcane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 05:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Removing deans connectors on Pimpcane.

I have a 17" Pimpcane.
It has on the knuckle battery packs. The batteries then connect to the esc which is located at the front of the truck on top of the pimp cane chassis. The problem I had was that every time I undid the deans connectors I caught the body posts and was was forever loosening them. I was also concerned about any wires becoming loose due to any heavy- handed disconnecting of the connector.

I have extended the wires on the esc and these now run to the rear of the truck. I also extended the wires on the battery pack to the rear of the truck which is where they now connect using the deans connector. I also cut down a plastic 100mm x 8mm wall plug to around 25mm long. The wall plug is the type that is found on a hammer fix type fixing. This is fastend to the c channel at the rear of the truck by using araldite rapid. The wires that I extended now loop around this wall plug and that stops the wires moving forward during use. The cables are then tied to the chassis using velcro straps. Now when I change batteries I just undo the velcro, lift the cables well above the truck and I am now able to easily undo the deans connectors without causing any damage or any undue pulling on wires.

I am not sure what others do, but this appears to be working for me. I now just have to tidy the wires and install heatshrink on the connections.
Tronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

This is one reason I run the power pole connectors. They aren't as hard to pull apart and that would get rid of your hard jerking to get them apart and save the shell in the long run. Any pics?
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I will post some pictures as soon as I have finished. I have not heard of the power pole connectors before.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Never had an issue my Deans?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hello Dezfan.

All my deans are really hard to undo. They are so difficult I have to grip one set with a pair of grips as with my hands I cannot pull them apart. I bought the deans as a set of 6 pairs. I have not used deans connectors before. I presumed that they would all be this difficult to undo
Old 12-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Here is a picture of the power poles.
Ask your lhs about getting them if you want to try them out.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
mjh
Quarry Creeper

I've used them in the past 2
They should help you out
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronk
Hello Dezfan.

All my deans are really hard to undo. They are so difficult I have to grip one set with a pair of grips as with my hands I cannot pull them apart. I bought the deans as a set of 6 pairs. I have not used deans connectors before. I presumed that they would all be this difficult to undo
Are they "Deans" or knock offs? I have NEVER had an issue w/ Deans. They are the best in the biz bar none!
Old 12-31-2006, 10:51 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

He is hitting the plastic or is pushing down on the wire while soldering and its making the metal pins moving a little, hard to get out. I did that my first pair of deans! I bet thats your problem!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:09 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hello

Clodcrawling. Thanks for the advice. I will double check the soldering today.

Dezfan.
They are original Deans and are not copies. I bought the truck of Syco. The Deans connectors that he installed are also very tight. I think he had the same problem as me, as the body posts where loose when I got the truck.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'd swap over to the power poles. Dean's aren't the best, direct soldering is. Deans, Sermos and Corally's are all very very good and with almost zero power lost. Almost as good as direct solder but who wants to keep their soldering iron hot and in their back pocket when out in the bush?
Old 01-01-2007, 03:46 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info Minijosh.

I have just tried a search and have only found one place in the UK that the search finds. The powerpoles are 2.50 a pair. However on ebay I can get the cheaper fron the USA. What rated amperage are you using on the connectors.

In response to the earlier comment regarding catching the connectors whilst soldering. have just looked at the connectors. They appear to be how they where fabricated. All the pins are horizontal and tight down against the edges in the plastic connector. The edges of the connectors are not damaged by the soldering iron. They are just so damn tight to undo.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Dang I don't remember which one. Just look up the rcboyz on ebay and buy that amperage. I'm not saying buy from them but those are the right size. Tower Hobbies also carries them. Call your LHS and see what they got. Sometimes I can't wait so I buy locally but if I can wait, I'm using my military address to get expensive stuff into the UK. No import tax.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijosh
I'd swap over to the power poles. Dean's aren't the best, direct soldering is. Deans, Sermos and Corally's are all very very good and with almost zero power lost. Almost as good as direct solder but who wants to keep their soldering iron hot and in their back pocket when out in the bush?
Actually your wrong, they were tested to be more efficient than even hard wiring, if I find the article, I'll post a link.

Dean's ARE the best.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
they were tested to be more efficient than even hard wiring

How can adding any connection in line of you wiring be more efficient than not having that connection?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Hard to beleive huh.....

Last edited by dezfan; 01-01-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Deans, Powerpole and AstroFlight connectors all have resistance that is equal to or less than the wire they replace, so all will perform equally well in your vehicle. But there are important differences to consider: Deans plugs are the smallest, and they're especially good for applications in which a large connector would get in the way. Powerpole and AstroFlight connectors both have shielded contacts and, like the Deans plugs, the AstroFlights have a polarized shape that prevents them from being plugged in “backwards.”
• Tamiya type: 0.0033 ohm

• Deans Ultra plug: 0.0009 ohm

• PowerPole: 0.001 ohm

• AstroFlight: 0.0011 ohm
Old 01-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I was a Dean's believer until I tried the Power Poles. They are so easy to install. You can either crimp them, yes no soldering, or what I do...I place the clip in a vise facing up. Insert the wire in the clip and allow solder to pour in the clip. Let it cool and then push the clip in the holder. So easy...Plus you can customize the layout of them so that you don't accidently plug a the wrong things together.

Check them out

http://www.andersonpower.com/product...onnectors.html

I bought 25 pair for $15 on ebay...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #19

yeah but if you crimp the power poles like somepeople dop and they get frayed then it increases your motor heat and and that good stuff
rustler421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

i had those power poles on a few of my trucks and i hate them!! the contacts in them get loose and pull away from the other contact the wrong bump and it would lose power and i just about went crazy and ive had the same prob as you with deans and it was probly that you held the sodering iron on the deans to long and moved the contact or sodered the to ends and pluged them in while they were still a little to hot
TeamDeweyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote