Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My new rig is done.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #21

whoa, I like it!
yukoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #22

torque twist is when you are climbing an object and the torque from the drive shafts lift one of the front wheels away from the object. It literally twists the truck just accelerating. Also with all 4 wheels on the ground, your suspension is fighting to hold the body of the truck straight up. Forward causes the body to fall to one side while reverse pulls the body over to the other side. Very annoying indeed. I love my txt, however I believe I am going to make a racing monstertruck out of it instead of crawler.
TiminAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminAZ View Post
torque twist is when you are climbing an object and the torque from the drive shafts lift one of the front wheels away from the object. It literally twists the truck just accelerating. Also with all 4 wheels on the ground, your suspension is fighting to hold the body of the truck straight up. Forward causes the body to fall to one side while reverse pulls the body over to the other side. Very annoying indeed. I love my txt, however I believe I am going to make a racing monstertruck out of it instead of crawler.
You're saying the torque from the center driveshaft can apply enough torque to twist the entire chassis torsionally along the lengthwise axis? *whistles* I guess you never see this happen 1:1 because the torque:weight ratio is so much lower than RC. This never happens on Clods since there is no center driveshaft, right?

I always thought it was doing wheelies because you had so much torque when accelerating- "twisting" about the back axle". But I never understood how that could be if crawler's don't usually accelerate like that and why people didn't just call it wheeleys lol. I guess that's the tie-breaking criteria that will make me choose a torsion chassis for my robot then ;)

Last edited by DKNguyen; 03-27-2007 at 04:02 PM.
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #24

Im saying it twists the suspension. not the actual chassis. The rear driverside wheel would drop and the passenger side front wheel would buck into the air. I ran a single stock 540 can motor with a gd-600 and revo shafts. The links were extended to give the truck a 16" wheelbase. I had integy piggyback adjustable shocks that did their best to counter act this movement, but never eliminated it completly. The truck was extremely torqy for crawling and if I had the truck on a 45 and went forward, it would buck the front tire in the air and loose traction. Then fall backward as it had no grip. The new truck doesn't do any of that because there are no drive shafts.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Good to know. What size wheels are you using on what wheelbase?

EDIT: NOticed you had it in your first post.

Last edited by DKNguyen; 03-27-2007 at 04:38 PM.
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminAZ View Post
I am in Tucson. You're right, lots of rocks and mountain ranges.

Not much of a rock crawlin sene here in NJ..I envy you guys :-(

Alfy
CLODZ_72_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #27

It's funny though, my friend azcats1 and I started into crawling almost 2 years ago and everyone around these parts didn't know what the hell we were talkin about. This site was all we had to go by. It still seems a lot bigger east of the mississippi than here. The LHS is just now starting to talk about it and get courses built while there are "World Championships" back east. I hope it takes off here, as we certainly do have the resources for it.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

looks good are you happy with the axle ground clearance or you gonna go to a 40 tire
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #29

no plans to, but you never know. I could throw some moab xls on pretty easy. The problem is, those are about 1.5 inches taller than what is on there... it might look funny with a shorter wheelbase. Azcats1 has pics of his but he has an 18" wheelbase. mine is much less.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

I wouldnt touch a thing...Although you might feel a need for some change or adjustment after a trail run..I'm guessing

BTW ABout LHS's around here, They have no clue as to what clods or TLT's are ...When I ask for them they say they can place a "special order" for me. Phhh go figure.. "Special Order" sounds expensive

Alfy
CLODZ_72_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I'm just doing my part for the USA. My brother who is deployed in Iraq wants to get a rock crawler now that he's seen mine. He got shot in the leg and got a purple heart and a bronze star on his first deployment. All I got was sick from the anthrax and small pox shots. I do have a 12.5 pimp cane sitting here doing nothing, just gotta come up with some clod axles and that will make 2 more AZ BoyZ crawlin.
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

great looking rig
broncoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #33

Thanks for the complement. I just got a mamba max esc to put in it. Hopefully it will peform better than it does now.