Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: BTA steering kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default BTA steering kits?

Ok, I have a set of TTR's CVD's and wanting to do BTA steering but want to be able to get full steering where the knuckle arm is close to touching the ball part on the axle tube. Anybody runnin a setup to give them this much turning? Post up pics of your setup too please.
Attached Images

LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have mine about that close. But to given tighter turning you have to make your own bottom link. You can see I still have more room to go, but the TTR's link hits the housing. The housing is really thin there. So grinding that is out of the question.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That looks prety cool, with that kind of steering front and rear on a super I bet it would turn on a dime.
I'm suprised havn't had more replys on here.

Last edited by LIKES2CRAWL; 04-04-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #4

OMG ... that gearbox is really chewed up

BTW ... the Etzler Super Steering System turns tighter the TTR (plus the steering link is made from titanium ... less likely to break and it's easily to service than the TTR system )
Ragin' Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin' Steel View Post

BTW ... the Etzler Super Steering System turns tighter the TTR (plus the steering link is made from titanium ... less likely to break and it's easily to service than the TTR system )
Never heard of it, and if it's so much better why havn't I seen others running it? How about some pics or a link on where to find this Etzler System.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well the only info found was it's made by John Etzler and his website has nothing on it and has been outdated since early '06. Thanks Spence for the help searching.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin' Steel View Post

Bahhh, that's just starting to get chewed.

Where to buy and pics of this 'super' linkage would be good.

The TTR cf bta linkage pictured above breaks too easily if you have a bad tumble and as was mentioned it hits the housing before the knuckles and cvds run out of steering. I made one for a freind out of aluminum angle and it worked really well...have to see if I can find a pic later.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

So I'm trying to figgure out some better steering solutions and everybody else must be happy with there crappy steering, cause nobody is responding to what they have done to improve there steering. Let's see what you have done to improve your steering!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Bahhh, that's just starting to get chewed.

Where to buy and pics of this 'super' linkage would be good.

The TTR cf bta linkage pictured above breaks too easily if you have a bad tumble and as was mentioned it hits the housing before the knuckles and cvds run out of steering. I made one for a freind out of aluminum angle and it worked really well...have to see if I can find a pic later.
We must have been replying at the same time cause I didn't notice your post befor, yea post a pic that would be cool.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

When i look at that bta steering link, it curves toward the axle when it comes off the knuckle. Couldn't we just make a link similar to the one you can buy but have it come straight across and then out to clear the diff? I think that'll give you about 1/8 or 1/4" more space and it won't hit the axle. I dunno..just throwing ideas out there.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
We must have been replying at the same time cause I didn't notice your post befor, yea post a pic that would be cool.
Here's the pics, top and bottom views. The lower piece in the pics is the first rough cut one that I made just to make the Clodbuster driveable. I wasn't concerned with looks....obviously....lol. The upper piece in the pics is the final piece that I made, which has enough clearance for MIP (TTR) CVDs tighter turning radius. This is made from 0.125" thick aluminum angle, however Javier at Driven Productions has made at least one out of delrin for the guy that I originally made it for. That thin wimpy TTR cf piece always breaks on the shorter side too...just snaps right in half.

View of bottom side of draglink:

and top side view of draglink:

Installed:

Last edited by Natedog; 04-07-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #12

does the bta really work better then regular
paperclipracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #13
Keep it real

You don't catch you steering links on things like when it is in front of your truck.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

i've got to get me a bta setup
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Make your own...it's pretty easy just takes time.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster RC View Post
I am the John Etzler that has been brought up here and yes I do make the BTA Titanium steering system talked about here and yes I am sadly very behind on my website to some degree that is on purpose as I can only make so many kits and I hate to over advertise my ability to produce it until I was able to increase my production.
This week I stepped it up and had some of the parts water jet cut to reduce the time needed to complete the kit so in the near future I will be updating my website and probably becoming a vendor on this site as well.

If any of you want details you can email me as I don't want to give any real details here and cause a fuss here without becoming a vendor first.

jetzler1@gmail.com

John
Could you post some pics of your setup or e-mail them to me? I'd like to see this setup.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Ok, well I have some pics of a setup that is done by Rogue670 and it looks to be prety good. I'm gonna run it on one of my clods and see how it dose.
Attached Images

Last edited by LIKES2CRAWL; 04-09-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
Holmes Hobbies

the only problem i saw was the servo turns over center the way it is now and the way the servo mounts you can't use a longer servo arm
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniel13 View Post
the only problem i saw was the servo turns over center the way it is now and the way the servo mounts you can't use a longer servo arm
Can you explain more about, "turns over center" I'm not getting what your saying?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #20
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
Can you explain more about, "turns over center" I'm not getting what your saying?
Probably meaning at the end of the knuckle travel when you turn the other way, the servo arm will be pointing straight at the knuckle attachment point.....when you'd ideally not want it to rotate that far.

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote