Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: JK Rubiclod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #41
~THE SCALE SHOP~

wow this build is very similiar to mine, TJ body, clod axles, savage shocks, nylint tires, rear seat shock holes, aluminum angle chassis....

Project: Big Joe...

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 05-25-2007 at 07:09 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
wow this build is very similiar to mine, TJ body, clod axles, savage shocks, nylint tires, rear seat shock holes, aluminum angle chassis....

Project: Big Joe...

Holy damn! I love your build. Wanna trade? What brand was that body? I love the look with the bushwacker flares. I remember seeing your rig a while back but couldn't find it on the forum. The first time i saw your build, i just fell in love with the look of it. It's alot more realistic than mine. I can see you were able to keep the rear seat with savage shocks or did you switch to another shock? I couldn't keep the rear seat and had to chop it off to fit the long travel shocks. I made a tonneu cover for the rear instead. How much did your rig weigh after it was done?

Your rig deserves an applause

How's it running by the way?
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #43

Nice work
ImobacClod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #44
RCC Addict

I'm quite impressed. This thing performs I got 2 hours and 10 minutes runtime today and it was still going. I used the 3700 mah battery and didn't even get to use the 3600 yet. I didn't really see the need for the rx pack i got. it handles the nylint tires just fine. I installed it anyways ;)

I did notice it cutting off every now and then. I have to see what's up with that. The rear axle was underpowered too. Seems like it wakes up when i give it alot of throttle. I saw a bit of "clodstall" but i thought the evx distributes power evenly to both motors?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Got some carnage...but still no pictures. i was coming down on a hill where it's shaped like a V. Passenger tire hit a rock on it's side and the force of it just snapped the plastic knuckle where the tie rod connects to. This thing packs some weight...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Must have had some SERIOUS force going through there, I never broke any part of my axle even when I wheeled the hell out of my heavy-a$$ rod framed crawler.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva View Post
Must have had some SERIOUS force going through there, I never broke any part of my axle even when I wheeled the hell out of my heavy-a$$ rod framed crawler.
Well it has no brakes so the only thing stopping it on downhills is what's in front of it A rock just happened to be there right in front of the tire and bam! I'm starting to think it's the steering joint i have on that knuckle. I have those tall ones that are 1" tall or so and the draglink and trackbar are seperated by like 3/8". Maybe the height of this is causing too much leverage and force on that knuckle arm.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Got my camera back. Here are some pictures and videos of the rig testing. Everything seems to be functioning fine except for the "clod stall" in the rear axle. The nylint tires are heavy sob's and it's worse when i run those. I have 2.2 All-T's that usually run on it and they don't have much stall. During one of the testing runs (hill climb) the truck took a 30 ft tumble down a hill. Nothing broke Keep in mind, this thing is almost 2 feet long and weighs 14 lbs I have the savage shock spacers on in these pictures. It's normally a little lower. I had to do some water crossings so i figured i'd jack it up for more clearance. I think i got the speed down just where i want it. It has good high end speed and excellent crawlability.

I'm getting around 4 hours of run time with the two batteries. I run one at a time. Both are located under the body (one above the skid, one under the hood). I couldn't ask for more

Upgraded Arms:

It's Arse:

Flex:

Outside shots:

It has gobs of power to launch it over obstacles:

Videos:
http://media.putfile.com/rubiclod1
http://media.putfile.com/rubiclod2
http://media.putfile.com/rubiclod3
http://media.putfile.com/rubiclod4
http://media.putfile.com/rubiclod5

Last edited by muddeprived; 05-29-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #49
~THE SCALE SHOP~

haha no thanks, its a new bright body. yeah it was tough but i got them stuffed in there, but i acually removed the lower spring cups, made them about 1" shorter. the spring just rests on the mounting screw. i have no clue what it weights but its ALOT. then add teh 5000mah FULL C size battery pack i run and its rediculous. id love to put it on the scales one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Holy damn! I love your build. Wanna trade? What brand was that body? I love the look with the bushwacker flares. I remember seeing your rig a while back but couldn't find it on the forum. The first time i saw your build, i just fell in love with the look of it. It's alot more realistic than mine. I can see you were able to keep the rear seat with savage shocks or did you switch to another shock? I couldn't keep the rear seat and had to chop it off to fit the long travel shocks. I made a tonneu cover for the rear instead. How much did your rig weigh after it was done?

Your rig deserves an applause

How's it running by the way?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #50
RCC Addict

im sooooo jealous that turned out very nice
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Nice work
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #52
RCC Addict

More pictures at a new location i found. I named the area
Potatoe Salad Hill II because it's pretty much the same type of rock and is hard to climb. You gotta bump your way up.

http://media.putfile.com/creekcrawl-70

Last few pictures are with the 2.2 All-T's. I was comparing both tires on that type of rock. The all-t's had a bit more grip but the claws had more clearance so it was pretty even.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Damn....You have done a sweet job building that....make me want to build one like that...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:59 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Nylint tires are going. I got tired of their superb-wet-traction................................ ...................
http://media.putfile.com/wet-nylints-SUCK

I had to look around for another similar sized tire and came up with the MGT tires which are about 1/4-1/2" taller than the nylints. I am in the process of narrowing them and also the wheels but at a standstill cuz i haven't received the glue yet. But this is what they will look like.

These will do a good job of tearing up the ground

oh........i'm feeling sick......i think the chrome's gotta go
Old 06-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #56
RCC Addict

They look pretty sweet, if a bit skinny. That might just be the chrome playing with my eyes though.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva View Post
They look pretty sweet, if a bit skinny. That might just be the chrome playing with my eyes though.
Yeah i wanted something a little narrower than the baja claws so i made these 1/4" less in width. Tall and skinny will shine in mud, which these tires are being used for. The 2.2 all-t's are for everything else. The tread blocks will line up to each other like the claws, not offset like they are shown in the picture.

They still look pretty similar in size though:

I'm thrilled with the weight of these. They weigh approx 1/2 of what the nylint tires weigh so that'll give my motors a break for once. Im gonna stuff em with cotton.

Last edited by muddeprived; 06-16-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Im gonna stuff em with cotton.
Cotton will bunch up and not work the way you want. Try finding some foam from Wal-Mart or from a Hobby Store like Micheals.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #59
RCC Addict

My jeep won the contest to attend the Extreme Makeover show. This is what happened....

I couldn't help myself and slapped on a set of modded 7" tall tires/wheels. I needed more clearance for the mud we have around here. No foams

I need some suggestions for a front bumper. I ain't digging the current one. Too much........plastic

Last edited by muddeprived; 06-24-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #60
RCC Addict

dude, that thing looks great. Excellent job. you should try some all-t's and narrow them.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote