Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Body Defects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Body Defects

Has anyone else go a bad body with there kit? I got mine and it was a bad pull off of the mold. Has any body else had this problem?
XTREME RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

that sucks on the body man, im getting mine tomorrow from rpp , hopefully it will be OK ,where did you get yours.
4 RUNN 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yes And Im Not Happy This Really Sucks Got A Line Thru Rear And Front Of It
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

That sucks.

Mine is perfect, and I am very pleased to see that Tamiya has made a much more scale and proportional FJ40 body than the Pro-Line was. I compared the two side by side today. I always thought the Pro-Line one looks a bit off, too narrow and out of proportion compared to the real thing. Also the details are much crisper/sharper and there are more of them (details that is) on the Tamiya one. Also the grille/bib, mirrors are a big pluss.

Sorry to hear you had some unfortune with your body, but the good thing is that the body kits are soon avaiable for a reasonable buck, so you can go out and give the one you got in the kit, a good beating on the rocks, and get a new one for display.

Still sucks though, very unlike Tamiya.
simensays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Mine has the same mold line front and rear.....it seems that most do.
Shaggy5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREME RACING View Post
Has anyone else go a bad body with there kit? I got mine and it was a bad pull off of the mold. Has any body else had this problem?
Bruce, contact Tamiya about the body. You know they'll take care of it if it got deformed when being pulled from the mold.

The rest of you are complaining about a *gasp* mold line?

This is the absolute BEST FJ body you'll get in lexan.

I saw the two diagonal mold lines in my FJ body as well but you know what? NOBODY noticed them in any of the images I posted here.

If any of you have owned/seen a Pro-Line FJ body or Pro-Line Bushwacker, you'll realize how nice this FJ from Tamiya really is. The PL bods had horrible looking sags on the rear corners and not nearly as much detail.

These bodies aren't museum pieces. Paint'm and go run'm.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Part of Tamiya's level of detail is that they use a 3piece mold this is the only way to get the depth at the bumpers or front and rear of the body. To release the body the mod slides up and towards the center to release the deep pulls. The diagonal line is in every Tamiya body including sedans. If it is something other than the line contact customer svc and they will see what they can do to get you taken care of.
As a heads up spares are still arriving so it could be awhile if they determine you need a replacement body.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
Part of Tamiya's level of detail is that they use a 3piece mold

Exactly what I suspected when I checked out the body but without confirmation I wasn't going to post that.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Jason, It is the mold lines I am talking about in the front and rear. They just dont look nice if you ask me. I did contact Tamiya and they said they could not help me since I am a manufacture not a hobby shop (just got to love customer service like that).
XTREME RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #10

I am sorry for the problem you had with customer service. Do you know who you spoke to? We have never turned people away for being a manufacturer or a hobby shop. Unfortunately with the 3 piece mold, you will get those faint lines in the body, but once painted are not noticable. If you still feel like you have a problem with the body, please PM me.
Tamiya_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
Donkey Punch Champion!

The first thing I saw when I looked at mine was these mold release lines front and rear. Here is the bottom line ladies, more details will cost you something. Get them painted and I think we will all be happy.

Ryan
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

If someone is anal enough to complain about a few mold lines in my body I would tell them to go get
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREME RACING View Post
Jason, It is the mold lines I am talking about in the front and rear. They just dont look nice if you ask me. I did contact Tamiya and they said they could not help me since I am a manufacture not a hobby shop (just got to love customer service like that).
Who did you contact at Tamiya America and what number did you call. A customer is a customer, regardless of if they are a manufacturer or not. However please provide more details before slamming our customer service on the internet. Some pictures would help also to determine what you may deem as a defect and what may be considered a normal release line from a 3-piece lexan mold.
Larrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
If someone is anal enough to complain about a few mold lines in my body I would tell them to go get
Seems to me that after spending $350 there better damn well be no mold lines in the body!
Tamiya will be getting a call from me!
Shaggy5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #15

I have been building Tamiya's 20+ years now, and all their bodies have mold lines. But after painted, you can not notice them.

I challenge you to find a better looking body anywhere??????
Kyosho is the only one that comes close.
Hit_The_Dirt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:57 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_The_Dirt! View Post
I have been building Tamiya's 20+ years now, and all their bodies have mold lines. But after painted, you can not notice them.

I challenge you to find a better looking body anywhere??????
Kyosho is the only one that comes close.
So true! I love the attention to detail. Even when everybody went for those badly detailed Yokomo shells cause they had crappy quality, but nice looking, decals, I still used Tamiya shells for my drift cars and show cars. They always had the mold lines, but was virtually unnoticeable when painted.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #17

Default No mold lines here!

Got two kits yesterday and as I expected there where no unusal mold lines.
As for the box (since I'am moving back home now) I could reduce the original box to 65% of the original size by putting all parts inside the body.
Plastic quality is also TOP, most of the parts are polyamide reinforced with glass fiber

Last edited by Rakuda; 04-28-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Rakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #18
R.I.P. Chip

Guys we all know Tamiya does a great job at providing the most detailed rc models in the industry. If there truly is a problem I have no doubt that they will take care of you, but if it is something as small as a simple mold line there is nothing they can do, that is part of the manufacturing process.

They have asked several times for one of you to provide some pictures here, and not one of you have done it.

I say either put up or shut up.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuda View Post
I could reduce the original box to 65% of the original size by putting all parts inside the body.

Be careful.....if the insid egets scuff'd too bad, it will show ! :-(
Hit_The_Dirt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 AM   #20

Thumbs up Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_The_Dirt! View Post
Be careful.....if the insid egets scuff'd too bad, it will show ! :-(
Point taken All parts (plastic parts only) were still inside their original plastic bag....but scurff could arise from the retaining clips...ok, I better take the metal clips out.
Rakuda is offline   Reply With Quote