Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Icon Style CR01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Icon Style CR01

Well I'm liking what I see so far and waiting for paint to dry on a few peices so I thought I'd start my thread.
After hearing mention of a potential stock spec class for this new kit from RCGuy it really tweaked my interest. So to get started I'll build everything stock and have a cool little rig to run around with.

My design idea came from the Icon rigs (the Rockey Mountain design) out of California. I love the rugged blacked out look so my color scheme will be loosley based on this.
Here's a few pics and the link to their website if your interested.
http://www.tlcicon.com/home.html

I'm just waiting for the paint to dry on my framerails and wheels, more later.

Last edited by UNGLEWD; 07-21-2008 at 08:54 PM.
UNGLEWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Paint dried up enough to get most of the frame together. Had to get rid of the raw aluminum because I didn't want it to be the only shiny part on the truck, looks kinda cool all black. I like the rails and they give me a good idea for other projects. I'm only going to post images that have a bit of different stuff in them because there's allready good build threads going in here.

Most of the diffs are together and will have to finish up tomorrow night. Next step will be 4links and coil springs.

In general the kit's a pretty quick build, there's not alot of parts. I'd say on the average it's a 2 Nighter.

Last edited by UNGLEWD; 07-21-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well a realy early morning session got all the build up complete by 6:30 am.

Thanks to Redbull and Srjeeper, I had a heads up on the suspension mods and saved some time. Before shutting things down lastnight I sprayed some parts to have a head start today.

I'm sure they're will be tweaking to do but i did the basics... moved the rear shock mount location and left out the stabilizer bars. I like the design of the transmission and hope they stand up to other brushless applications, seems pretty stout!

I sprayed the rims with Mat Black to get rid of the plastic look, splashed some silver on the lug nuts and sprayed the rock rings Charcoal. I wanted the rings black but didn't want to show scratches. However, noticed today when cutting them off of the parts tree there molded in black plastic, may have to strip them down and start again.

I also left the rims without weights as per Tireds suggestion for the CR Stock comp, just cut the foams a bit! I didn't paint the springs yet because I'm waiting on the rules on spring adjustments and tensions, will spray later.

Bodies just drying, will unmask and get some pics up ion the next few minutes.

Last edited by UNGLEWD; 07-21-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well I'm happy with the color match under the flourescents and the sunlight lamp but nothing replaces true sunlight! I did mix in the sun and it looked cool in the jugg but always looks better behind lexan.
The main body got this Chargold color, the roof, doors and running boards were done in black and the windows were tinted. (all on the inside) After it dried a bit I cut out the protective outer mask from the roof, doors and running board area to exspose the lexan and keep the balance of the body protected.

I sprayed these areas with a few light coats of black to give them a mat finish. By painting the inside first when these details get scratched it will still show black behind it instead of body color. After the body gets really beaten it cna be wet sanded for a mat finish and all of the colors will still be corect also.

Before painting I did a quick body mod, moved the tail lights up from the back bumper area. Because the wheelbase is a bit off the rear tires bind up with the body so I raised the height up to the seam on the doors. I masked off the new location for the tail lights and will mount them tomorrow.

Next up is the stickers and scale stuff!

Last edited by UNGLEWD; 07-21-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

looks hella good
theonek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Good idea. I blacked mine out too. Just couldn' stand that silver chassis.

I like the ICON trucks too. Did you see the Icon pickup in Peterson's?
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, love to paint when it turns out! LOL

I have seen the different styles of icons, they have a nostalgic version too, if you're into the vintage stuff.

I can say this for sure, not happy with parma's "fastint", either I didn't apply it right or it sucks because it's very blotchy.
Stickers are a pain but worth it if you consider the time to mask and paint the trim from the inside. Managed to get some on myself and painted in the body seams. Some of the scale stuff is still drying so more later,
Here's some more pics

Last edited by UNGLEWD; 07-21-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

looks great
slither302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Nice job, I really like that color!
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Nice paint, I love color. Just for future reference, if you want a flat black look on your lexan bodies, you can use Model Masters lacquer based flat black (on the outside). http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFLJ9&P=7

It sticks to lexan really well and won't flake at all or scratch easily. It's a true flat paint as well. I used it on my Hummer scaler I'm working on and gives the perfect look. I've also used it on my comp rig on and it holds up pretty well on the rocks.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

looks great!! i love that color, just an opinion lower the body if you can a little.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Looks real good. I really like that color combo! Drop that body a bit and it will but perfect!
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That color really catches the eye.
BaddClod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments guys, I've been busy lately and this is the only truck I've had time to run. I've made some more changes and mess with it each time before I go out.

Well after a good healthy beating the only carnage was due to a thin spot in the lexan, at least the split is clean. It's time to set the body aside for another project and replace it with something a bit bigger, just can't get over the wheelbase.

The stock wheel s are being used on the Blazer when I get my hands on some new rock rings to prevent the tire spin. Needed something for this and since I'm doing a stock/budget build on this truck I couldn't resist these...
Junfac/Gmade beadlocks $14 for 2 pcs! LOL

They look pretty cool but seem fragile, time will tell.
I mounted the stock tires back on after squeezing the water outa the foams.

Waiting on the paint to dry on the springs to make them stand out a little less.
Just have to decide on the new body now, the fun part.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Had some fun finally completing the old 56 body that I had hanging up in the shop. I had started it for one of the Hilux kits but it got tossed adide for other projects. I had made a new box for it with a dropped bed and was just sitting colecting dust and couldn't wait to get another body for Sunday.
Forgot how much fun it was building last winter.

The last details were just making the fake wood floor and metal straps, happy with the results so far. The paint has to dry tonight and will get to mounting the lite kit.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

A few shots with the tires mounted on the new wheels, springs painted and the new light kit in.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Well HeyOK Performance will be happy to see that I got to use the first of many LED packages tonight. Looks awesome Al!

Still have to black out the inside and add the interior but couldn't resist a test.
A few night shots...

Old 06-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I think this is something that I can continue to build on, beat on and may better with age.
Took it out for a quick run.
The lights add a whole new level in the woods, my favorite body to date.

And back home on the bench for the next stages, bumpers, headache rack, interior and small fun stuff like tailgate chains.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Well, after quite a few runs on the stock tires, they work ok on the rocks but not great on the trails. When I originaly built this body I had mad these Hummer wheels to go with it and were sitting on the shelf, so sad to see a rim with no home. Imex Red Rocks, the 2.2's were a bit too high for this thing so I think the 1.9's work and look best.

Can it get more farm vehicle than this? I'm digging the look!
Got the tires all glued up yesterday and just trying to decide on the foams now. I hope they perform well. I have another set on the way this week and am going to try another tread pattern, this one's not quite right. I think they should have been staggered?

This is definately getting a bail of hay in the back now! Adding some chains to the tailgate and getting some painting done over the next few days.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Love it! That truck looks great, especially with the light kit. Personally, I dont like your new tires, but thats just my taste. I think I need one of those bodies. Who makes it?
Theibault is offline   Reply With Quote