Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: First impressions and any tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First impressions and any tips

Just wondering what peoples first impressions of the CR-01 are? Saw someone mention rear shocks need to be relocated but searched here and can't find the link to it. Any build hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. Even stuff as to what weight shock oil is working and what hasn't worked. Etc.
bigtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #2

I like to separate and organize all of my screws into a multi bin tray. It seems to go faster for me. I like to use an electric screwdriver to build and try to find a small enough bit for the beadlock screws. The build is very straightforward and I had no issues.

As for the shocks, make sure to lubricate the shafts before you push them through the shock body. The threads tend to cut the o-rings and they will leak. Mine ended up leaking after three weeks so I used some Pro-Line By-Pass shocks. The shock position is still the same for I have not had any trouble yet.

Cutting the tire foams helped to provide me more grip while crawling.
Big_Lumpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Here's a link to the rear suspension mod,

http://rcdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1515&page=9

Here's a link to EePee's build, there's some good info in there,

EeePee's CR-01

Don't expect the front and rear axles to spin freely after they've been assembled. They will break in after a few runs.

Make sure you get all the flashing trimmed off the parts. My tranny was binding up bad and I couldn't figure out why. Ended up being a little bit of flashing that I missed.

Put a little shoegoo on the beadlocks to keep the tires from slipping.

I recommend you paint the body and assemble the tires and wheels first. Once your done building the chassis the last thing you're gonna want to do is put those wheels together.
85sfarunner is offline   Reply With Quote