Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 206 crawler W.I.P.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stAir
wow you guys are losing me with all the electronic stuff.... that means this is gonna turn out really cool and really innovative.. good work.
ya i think your write! I think its already cool and definatly one of a kind/ one off great work keep it comin
scalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2006, 03:04 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
I see a lot of good, innovative ideas in this build. I especially like the Maxx diff used as a tranny, but I think your gearing will be too low when it's combined with that 50:1 planetary box. The maxx diff has a reduction of 2.5:1, compared to the Stampede tranny's 2.72, so you're not that far off to begin with. Unless you plan on running a lot of cells (8-10?) it's going to be really slow. The little 370 motor will save weight, though.

For the wheel hubs, what about drilling all the way through the cap nut and machining a slot in the end, and using it to replace the drive hex? I have a feeling your right-side wheels will come off once you start driving this rig, even with Loctite.

A one-way will cost you your reverse, as well as your brakes, and you'll have a hard time fitting one inside a TLT axle. Better to use a differential brake system, with a standard servo on the axle and a rod-actuated brake at each wheel. Have the brake press against the back side of the wheel. In the center position, no brake is activated. If you want to be tricky, mix the brake and steering channels so you don't have to activate the brake manually.

I'll be watching, this is good stuff
I assume it's slow but it's what i want, didn't mentioned that the 1:1 is an euro trial rig from the franco-swiss challenge, not a trash style U.S. crawler (just watched a mad RP film ) , it's an other style of driving with no time limit and the gates are about 10cm larger than the vehicle...

I have a 240x total reduction on an other tlt and I find it fine in the rocks(not for race obviously)seems unstopable, don't brake anything,run half the day with a 3800battery pack... I was really not satisfied of the buggy tranny and 65tmotor I used in the past , no stall torque, bad running time, destroying parts cause you need to go full trottle in.... but before I started the project I was not suposed to use the maxx diff as tranny , only the 50:1 gearbox with a 3:1 homemade tranny..maybe for another project or a B version.

also I made a new set of adapaters with lockers:

My first frame idea with aluminum L don't have good capacity if i want to put the tranny in, it may work with 3 or 4 links but not with this massive A arm so i'll find something else..maybe an alum+epoxy tuber

Now for the diff braking I fear that putting the stick in the broke wheel will stop progression when it' ll get back on the terrain(don't forget that S.U.V. have ABS and low reaction time) so, i standby it and make the other system of the 1:1 : it has 4 rams instead of shocks; i think if I let the axle 100% locked and take of the wheel by a servo cam on the shocks
it should help to turn tighter.

Last edited by SilverRidge; 07-29-2006 at 04:25 AM.
SilverRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

That's friggin awesome
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
I see a lot of good, innovative ideas in this build. I especially like the Maxx diff used as a tranny, but I think your gearing will be too low when it's combined with that 50:1 planetary box. The maxx diff has a reduction of 2.5:1, compared to the Stampede tranny's 2.72, so you're not that far off to begin with. Unless you plan on running a lot of cells (8-10?) it's going to be really slow. The little 370 motor will save weight, though.

For the wheel hubs, what about drilling all the way through the cap nut and machining a slot in the end, and using it to replace the drive hex? I have a feeling your right-side wheels will come off once you start driving this rig, even with Loctite.

A one-way will cost you your reverse, as well as your brakes, and you'll have a hard time fitting one inside a TLT axle. Better to use a differential brake system, with a standard servo on the axle and a rod-actuated brake at each wheel. Have the brake press against the back side of the wheel. In the center position, no brake is activated. If you want to be tricky, mix the brake and steering channels so you don't have to activate the brake manually.

I'll be watching, this is good stuff
??Humina,Humina,Humina???. Man you guys have love for this.Does the plastic horn flex at all?
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:32 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

just made a try at the cage with epoxy in front top bar and armed polyester in the rear bar and alum. very light but needs to be renforced with other bars, I'll see tomorrow morning if the epoxy is ok

Old 07-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Um, wow! Thats all I can say. Talk about outside of the box thinking.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

wow this thing is is AMAZING!!! its the most unique tlt truck out there so far nothing is like it!!! wow any more updates?
crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

I don't have enough tube to finish the cage bumper and rear , and I won't buy some now cause I 'm in holidays after tomorrow, so I just played a few with the body and made a little preview of what it will supposed to be.

http://silverridge71.chez-alice.fr/sr71preview.rar (2.3Mo)

The cage with the cab rear reinforcement bars weight 48gr.. I'm really surprised it could be so light and rigid,
Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Old 08-01-2006, 05:08 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

one piece alloy frame
Old 08-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #31

This looks great! Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing the completion.
crawlincivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

i noticed a broken piece of aluminum square stock, might i suggest attempting to anneal it before bending? this way you you wont break it...
peej410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peej410
i noticed a broken piece of aluminum square stock, might i suggest attempting to anneal it before bending? this way you you wont break it...
Anneal is just heating it up with a torch then bending right? Do you spray it with water after bending to put the temper back in?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/copperwi2.htm

one of many explanations about annealing

oh and this http://www.tinmantech.com/html/alumi..._continued.php
Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Cool, thanks for the links.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

no prob keep up the awesome work! im glad to see someone take the path less traveled!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

This is one of the trickest tlts i have seen!
scalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by peej410
thanks for your suggest & the links , you're right I first tried to bend 10mm square aluminium cold with a hummer and had done too much, bent it back and it has broke. tried a second time with smaller section in the vice ,soften before and bending by hand slowly making the radius to don't over stress it...at least I hope..

Last edited by SilverRidge; 08-01-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #39

Youve got some great Ideas. I really like your Maxx centre diff. I may have to use a variation on that for my TLT build.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Looking a little better. Keep them coming!
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote