Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 206 crawler W.I.P.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 02:54 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Smile 206 crawler W.I.P.

Hello, I am starting my new tlt based crawler that is a basic copy of this one :

and I 'll try something different about the linkage:

there is only one reversed A arm connected by a ball to the chassis and one Panhard rod (that must be horizontal on the final design to work well) to keep the axles parrallels.

now the arm is made in galvanized steel , it's strong and heavy but it needs to be painted

let me know what you think about this suspension...

Last edited by SilverRidge; 07-18-2006 at 09:48 AM.
SilverRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2006, 03:01 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

and for those who want to know how to mount 1/8th offroad tires on the tlt or anything else , you just have to thread at M4 a 17mm cap nut and put it on the axle with a counter -nut or some loctite.

Last edited by SilverRidge; 07-16-2006 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Good idea, I've been wanting to figure out a way to use 1/8 buggy tires on a TLT, it would save tons of time narrowing wheels and tires. Let us know how that suspension works out.
kerosinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Keep us posted, this looks like it'll be sweet!
scalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

nice to see people usen the noodle an thinkin of new ideas, i like the build hope it all works out for ya
Bknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #6

What is your 1:1? Looks like something I want to build, I'm searching for a Suzuki Samurai to do something very similar to yours. Cool TLT crawler idea as well!
too much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Can we get more pics of the Maxx Diff Tranny.
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I don't know what to say!
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much
What is your 1:1? Looks like something I want to build, I'm searching for a Suzuki Samurai to do something very similar to yours. Cool TLT crawler idea as well!

the base of the 1:1 was a Toyota KZJ 73 3.0l Turbo Diesel, but only the chassis and the motors still remain, it has portal axles , 4 independent manual brakes, and 4 hydraulic cylinders instead the shocks.the samourai is also a good start for "trial" ;).

VMGontheRocks ->I use a front s-maxx diff kit, i still need to make a delrin adaptator for the spur gear and the 1/50 motor-gear will be transversal ,in middle position . nothing left to say about it now.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

that wheel set up looks badass , looks kinda like the swamp buggies that they race in fla.
pro beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

looks like a good design hope it works out.
rockschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

looks innovative, i like the tires alot.
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRidge
and for those who want to know how to mount 1/8th offroad tires on the tlt or anything else , you just have to thread at M4 a 17mm cap nut and put it on the axle with a counter -nut or some loctite.

can you tell me what things you used for this mod?where you get the parts?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #14
RCC Addict

try the hardware store....
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:54 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

This morning I've done the second gearbox mount , on the first the center diff was 7mm higher , decreasing ground clearance , bad dogbone angle and higher CG, , the final will be like this one but in one part essentially to avoid any movement between pinion and spur gear.

and I'll try to mount it on a rubber plate to absord some of the torque twist.

Last edited by SilverRidge; 07-18-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:33 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well it's different. I'll keep popping in to see how it comes out.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

there is one problem I'll have , it's that with this tires, even if they have a very good grip , the wheel is tall and the tire is too rigid and I can't make it turn with the diff locked( it already don't turn moving it by the hand ), so , I wondered if the small plane servos have enough power to brake one wheel with the diff open , with this when a wheel loses traction I can brake this wheel and the power goes on the other one and i can still turn tight in corners.

If it don't work with small servos it's always possible to use the ex-rear steering servo with a rod to brake one side or the other.

Last edited by SilverRidge; 07-18-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

hello
then already with the submicro servos pushing on the old hexagon that brake does not work, if I make a rather rigid support so that the servo does not move back on the angles ,sometimes the cam passes from the other side.

I have yet to test with a standard servo in normal position with a brake rod guided each side and pushing on a disk. it requires high forces since once the wheel which is still on the ground get the traction back the servo have to slows down a force at least also important,
it's what I feared.
does any one has already tried to use a one way diff as on a touring? that would make it possible to turn normally and to have a maximum of traction … but no brakes I know..
Old 07-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I see a lot of good, innovative ideas in this build. I especially like the Maxx diff used as a tranny, but I think your gearing will be too low when it's combined with that 50:1 planetary box. The maxx diff has a reduction of 2.5:1, compared to the Stampede tranny's 2.72, so you're not that far off to begin with. Unless you plan on running a lot of cells (8-10?) it's going to be really slow. The little 370 motor will save weight, though.

For the wheel hubs, what about drilling all the way through the cap nut and machining a slot in the end, and using it to replace the drive hex? I have a feeling your right-side wheels will come off once you start driving this rig, even with Loctite.

A one-way will cost you your reverse, as well as your brakes, and you'll have a hard time fitting one inside a TLT axle. Better to use a differential brake system, with a standard servo on the axle and a rod-actuated brake at each wheel. Have the brake press against the back side of the wheel. In the center position, no brake is activated. If you want to be tricky, mix the brake and steering channels so you don't have to activate the brake manually.

I'll be watching, this is good stuff
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #20
RCC Addict

wow you guys are losing me with all the electronic stuff.... that means this is gonna turn out really cool and really innovative.. good work.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote