Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT transmission options for your crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default TLT transmission options for your crawler

I asked Bender about making a transmission guide and Bender said, Get Busy, so here is some info, if you want me with the info I dont know, or transmissions that should be on here, onto the business,

TLT axles-(about 70 shipped as a kit, from ultimatehobbies.com, and hobbypeople.net)
These are very strong 1/10 axles, that can be locked by putting the spider gear between the two other spider gears, which is a non permanent lock, but still locks them til you dont want them locked. Some people upgrade to max climber axle shafts, since the rock buster has weaker shafts.

You need to drill out the a hole in the bevel gear for the grub screw to be put on.

TLT transmission-(Very cheap)
These are belt driven, stock, and you huge, id upgrade!

Stealth Tranny- Got mine for 55 shipped with new geos (4)
Ball diff
Remove the balls from the diff gear and tighten it back down. - Mnstr

Cut some 80 grit sandpaper disks the same size as the diff rings and glue (shoe goo) them to the diff rings w/ the abrasive side facing the gear, this allows for a little more bite on the gear. - Dezfan

You need to bore out the stampede metal yokes to fit onto the shafts!

Stampede Tranny- 50 shipped from Ryan, RBGerrish
Planetary diff[/SIZE]
To lock put JB weld in the diff.

These are a bigger than the Losi-XXX, and the Stealth, but are easy to use, and are far more common

The stampede metal yokes fit right onto it, imagine that.

Losi-XXX tranny- Around $45
Ball differential

Cut some 80 grit sandpaper disks the same size as the diff rings and glue (shoe goo) them to the diff rings w/ the abrasive side facing the gear, this allows for a little more bite on the gear. - Dezfan

IF YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT METAL STAMPEDE YOKES PM ME PLZ

Evader Tranny- Around $40

Ball differential

The Maxx yokes had to be bored out, to fit over the outdrives, stealth style.- Zuki Tyler

The evader tranny has been used acouple times, to what ive seen, maybe one of the next trannys.

If you have info on those transmissions, also please drop me a PM,
Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by TLTCrawlin; 07-21-2006 at 01:55 PM.
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Good idea and not a bad start. Some link to pic's of some teardowns would be a plus also.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

Keep adding to your first post ClodCrawlin, I'll link this thread to my cheap tricks sticky and maybe turn it into a sticky in the TLT forum.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sweet, I will do!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
Sweet, I will do!
nice thread bud hows youre crawler comin.When i get back from goldendale well start puttin some local guys together.if we can find a killer spot to host a comp ''DUDE'' SAID he would be interested in doing a comp in are neck of the woods.Sounds like fun to me let me know youre take on this. later:-P :-P :-P
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Added pictures!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #7

Exclamation

The Stealth Tranny you have pics of, well its not a Stealth. The Stealth came out for the B-T10, it was made by RPM. It was a lower gear ratio than the stock tranny. The Tranny you have there is a stock AE not a Stealth. I cant make out if it is a B, T or a 1 or 2.
nbpmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpmotorsports
The Stealth Tranny you have pics of, well its not a Stealth. The Stealth came out for the B-T10, it was made by RPM.

My RC-10 Team Car from 1991 came with a Stealth transmission.... previous RC-10 had the 6 gear tranny.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #9

I'm stand corrected.
I do know that you can not run JATO or MAXX driveshafts with this tranny. The spur gear and the out put cup are to close, unless I run a 50-60's tooth spur gear. I'm going to try the JUGG driveshafts, if that doesnt work, Im goin to make custom dog bones w/a slip yoke.
2.65 Stealth Conversion For RC10T

A 2.25 gear reduction works fine for a buggy but 2.65 is what a truck needs. Our 2.25 - 2.65 conversion will allow you to convert your tranny to a 2.65 powerhouse! You use our transmission housing and top shaft, everything else comes from your 2.25 tranny. Using this combination will allow you to use the larger pinion gears that run smoother and mesh better with the spur gear. Our tranny is so much smoother & more efficient that you will notice cooler motors, longer run times, & quicker lap times. Use with a slipper clutch.

Please note: This transmission conversion will not work on the RC10T2 and later version Associated trucks.

Last edited by nbpmotorsports; 07-21-2006 at 05:15 PM.
nbpmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:54 PM   #10
RCC Addict

another option that may soon be available (especially if your LHS carries products from Horizon Hobbies) is a Sportwerks Raven. i have a feeling these will be available inexpensively (the RTR is $139ish), and look to be the same as a losi gear box.

another gearbox option may also be the tranny from one of XTM's 1/10th stadium truck. not sure on it's price, or where to get it, but just throwing it out there as an option.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

yeah I was going to say that, XTM Xcellarator!
Copy of a T3/T4, some things are from a T3, and some are from a T4, It has a T4 copy tranny ive heard, from when they came out by a guys friend that had two of em, he has two t3s, and a t4, so I bet he knows, his name is camel rc! I think thats the correct info, if its wrong, its been awhile!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Very Good Thread ClodCrawlin...Would it also be possible to add in the hardware needed to drive the axles i.e. what shafts and other parts are needed to complete the running gear that would greatly help noobs like myself ....
ede670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

yes, hardaware to match the losi especially
Forgot to mention, great job and thank you for putting up the work
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the kind words, and I will do!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

this is the tranny i have, it's all locked up and ready , it was from a losi i gutted for parts, can't remember the model though , if you see it has a small bump where it would sit on the chassis, i guess i have to go into the chassis? any ideas? also what yokes will fit ?and other hardware i will probably need?
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

make a lil delrin sheet, as a spacer, and have a hole cut out where the bump is, so its level!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

well i have an xrc build project and the center part is delrin a little over 1/4" thick , so i could probably just remove a little material so that it will sit leveled , also the tranny should be centered ?or it's more the yokes should be centered? i' ve seen tranny centered were the yokes are more to the side, i would assume that throws the diffs of?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Take off the delrin skid, and use a grind stone, or w/e they are called on a dremel, so it makes a notch, of circle!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn
this is the tranny i have, was from a losi i gutted for parts, can't remember the model though ,
im going the same route as well........my tranny looks exactly like that and is coming out of my losi XXT i have collecting dust
finalimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

dont forget the nitro pede.
DUIdirk is offline   Reply With Quote