Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Front end suck-down on the fly…

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I'm sorry for the mess Ed, I realy like your idea setup and look forward to seeing where you go with this. I say it again I'm Sorry!
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

how did you mount the canti arm thing you are using as a lever to pull the axle up? Is it riding on bearings? Also what did you use for the winch line/cable stuff?
Close up pics would be swell!
blue-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the cleaning Mike - was wondering if this was going to get killed or not...

This setup is still in the very rough stages so was kind of a hack build to see if it would even work.

There are two arms that come off of where the shock mount is - they angle in and for now I just drilled a hole and used a nice bellcrank for an airplane. The link to the servo is just bent threaded rod for now. The line going to the axle from the bellcrank is a canvas thread - seems plenty strong enough right now. If I were to change anything I would angle the servo more to line up better with the horn.

After the batteries get here I will have to re-adjust the setup due to a possible ride height change and front end weight. But right now it works and is kind of fun. I do want to see about getting the front end to come down a little more when all is said and done.

I made the mistake of using an aircraft retract servo and just read that this type of servo can only be run lock to lock - no adjustments for end points will work....:-( Oh well - still works for now - explains why I couldn't get it to adjust the way I wanted... But in the product description is states that this servo works best for a 'holding load' at full lock in either direction. The one I have right now is something like the HS-75BB I think - don't remember. According to Tower this servo runs about 92oz-in and seems to work well pulling the front end.

I will get a couple more pictures tonight and post them up.

Ed
NitroRC Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Another way of approacing this could also be done by using the same idea as the winch and just running some sort of pulley point above the link mount and then just pull in or let out the line?

Granted, you may not need that much travel depending on how you ran the winch line. I'm going to have to put this on my list of projects to try out.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

This sounds like a pretty cool idea. Kind of like pre-loading the suspension on a 1:1 right?

I sure am glad I missed all that rules BS.
gone_wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

The winch idea was my other thought - but I wanted to use an 'off the shelf' servo and wanted a low profile one.

Yep - holding the front end down to keep from unloading on a uphill climb like on a 1:1 crawler. Was standing there looking at the Sidekick and it has the setup with the front winch to suck the front down and just figured I would try in on this crawler.

Ed
NitroRC Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

it's a very cool idea

I crawl at my home and other places only, never been to a comp yet and love these kinds of mods, very cool
SuperDave420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak
Another way of approacing this could also be done by using the same idea as the winch and just running some sort of pulley point above the link mount and then just pull in or let out the line?

Granted, you may not need that much travel depending on how you ran the winch line. I'm going to have to put this on my list of projects to try out.
thats the idea I have been thinking about myself but after seeing this idea I like it alot. You can use a lower torque servo to suck down the suspension by increasing the lenght of your lever/bellcrank thus giving you more power than would normally be capable from that servo.
blue-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #29

bad *** sidekick i got one my self but with a dana 60 and 14 bolt very nice
littlezuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

nice lookin Kick you got there! you ever check out http://www.zukikrawlers.com?
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 AM   #31
RCC Addict

That's outside the box thinking! Keep up your great innovations.
This is the part of this hobby I like.
cars69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:11 AM   #32
TEAM RCC

NICE Backyard course!!!!!!!!
CRF450R is offline   Reply With Quote