Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Turboduck01's 2.2 Comp Tuber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up Turboduck01's 2.2 Comp Tuber Build

*11-13-06* New action pics on page 2

Hey Guys,
I've had my tlt for a while and was using a chassis i machined for the better part of the last six months. Well it is time for a change. After my roommate drove my TLT for the first time and wanted to buy a crawler asap, I figured i would rebuild my TLT while he builds his and so came the idea for a tube framed crawler. After seeing some of the tube framed chassis here, I hope i can muster up half the skill that some of you guys have.

I plan to put up pictures of the entire process as I move along. We'll see how good i am at doing that.

I'm currently bending tubing and getting ready to braze in due time.

here's some teaser pics.

Last edited by Turboduck01; 11-13-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Turboduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks good so far. Hey, I see your feet!
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #3

Nice mockups....you have some bony feet!
P-Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

damn clown feet.....
today i tried to make some progress by brazing parts of my tube frame together... wow, talk about zero skill.

I was very unsuccessful. Could not get my brazing rod to flow and stick to the joint, it just kinda puddled off the tubing. Tried reading up on how to braze properly... no luck.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

so as you will be able to tell, I decided to do a mock up with my good friend mr electrical tape. We had a good time bending more brakeline and taping it together before running out of tubing. So far I have used 10 feet of brakeline, with about a foot or so of waste. After a horrible time trying to braze the rod, I think i might just tac weld it together the next time I get a hold of a welder, which will be in two weekends. More pics of what i'm going for.

do i win an award for most tape for a mock-up? Just imagine if i had enough brakeline to finish
Old 10-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

when brasing you need to make sure the steel tubeing gets red or orange for it to be hot enough for the brazing rod to flow you also have to keep the falme on the rod and tube for it to flow, heating the metal is not enough to melt the rod
supercrawlerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

nice job.....i like the banner in the back ground..USA.. USA ..USA
snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

That looks like it will be a sick crawler when done
Make sure u keep the pics comin
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrawlerfreak
when brasing you need to make sure the steel tubeing gets red or orange for it to be hot enough for the brazing rod to flow you also have to keep the falme on the rod and tube for it to flow, heating the metal is not enough to melt the rod
When brazing with silver you don't want the tube to be red hot. If your tube is glowing it is to hot. You want it to have the "wet look". Tig welders will know what I mean. The metal will take on a look as if it where wet.

The metal should be hot enough to melt your filler metal (rod, silver, etc.). If you melt the rod with your torch you may end up with a cold joint. This means that your filler rod did not fuse with your metal.

Brazing with silver takes some practice. Also having the proper materials helps. Use a map gas torch with Harris safety silver 56 for your filler metal. You will also need the Harris white paste flux. If you have those 3 items you can braze with no problem. If you can solder wires together you can braze with silver.

Also make sure you joints are well fit and very clean. Most brake line has a corosion coating on it. You must remove this before you can braze. There is a good article on the main page. It goes through the steps on building a tube chassis.

Good luck with your project.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I was talking about using the brass colored brazing rod and if the metal is not slightly cherry the brazing rod wont flow at all. I use an oxy torch with flux coated brazing rod. it all depends on what you are useing
Old 10-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

i was using the brass colored rod, and was using a similar method to what BrandO wrote, with no luck. I got tips from both of you though, like not heating the brazing rod with the flame, that's something i know for a fact i was doing. Does that mean you take the flame off the joint when you put in your brazing rod? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Switch to the harris safety silv it is so much nicer to use than the rod is.

And do exactly what brand O says. In fact if Brand O or Hulk gives you pointers might want to write them down. They are the Shiat when it comes to tubers.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Default brazin

make sure you get youre tubing very clean,use emery cloth,clean tube makes it easier its all about heat the right temp in the right spot,after awhile youll now when its the right temp and it will flow nicely,its really easy just practice on a dumby joint then go to youre tuber.double j knows, thatsafety silv is the shiat the best and easiest to use ,a little pricey though.focus on the colors as you heat.

Last edited by rockmike; 10-18-2006 at 10:01 AM.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

with tha brass rod you have to heep the flame close enugh to keep the metal slightly red/orange and then start putting the rod in with the flame still there if you are using an oxy torch just remember to watch that wou dont melt the tubes
Old 10-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

prettty piiiiimp Brice!
johnathanlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

wow i want to see this thing finished great start bro
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

so i found out its not TOO difficult to build a tuber with out a garage or some pretty decent tools you would find in a garage, but im positive it would make things a LOT easier. The dremel was a decent grinder, my foot and a cutting board acted as a vice grip to hold things down while i used the dremel to cut the tube framing, and a broken cinder block to help with the brazing.

i learned a lot making my first tube frame and can't wait to make another one : )

havent found a way to mount the antena yet

12.5 inch wheelbase
pede tranny
pede shafts
3/16" steel brakeline tubing
Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Cool Beans Bro, came out real nice

But i prefer tape joints my self, it does away with all the brazing and soldering

Just messing:grin:
tecnica2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Not to Shabby
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Talking

that looks awesome
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote