Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: NEWB TLT Tuber build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #21
RCC Addict

wow... looks good.... maybe try some short buggy shocks on that to get the pinion angles more managable...
tubing is sweet though.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

X2^.. The pinnion angles are a bit extream I would either run shorter shocks or run the shock mount up to the humps on the top of the frame that way it will correct the pinnion angle and make the whole chassis look more filled. If any one knows what I meen please agree LOL if you don't understand agree anyway and I'll make a diagram of what I meen.
need some carbon fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

so you mean to run the shocks more vertical?
Or more horizontal, because i see two humps on the chassis, one that would put the shocks more vertical or the other "hump" would make the shocks lay down more
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #24
RCC Addict

move to the humps on what would be the hood... farther front on the chassis making them more vertical and then run some super soft springs...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #25

Yeah, I originally had the shocks mounted at the humps as that is what they were put there for. My problem was then I was having clearance issues with the rest of the chassis as I made it a little too narrow. Maybe I'll look at the shockes off of the XX buggy the tranny came from and see if I can work them into the humps.

I was a little concerned about the pinion angle as well. I'll see what I can do about it too. i think I have bitten off a little more than I can chew for a first build but what the heck go hard or go home

CB
suzukiman650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #26
RCC Addict

maybe rotate the link mounts down to the belly skid area...
Old 11-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

it looks great for a first build
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stAir
maybe rotate the link mounts down to the belly skid area...
I was thinking that I would extend the skidplate to add the mount for lower links. Are you thinking I should move both links to the belly or just the lower links? By moving the lower links I would get more triangulation into them as well.

CB
Old 11-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

your probally gonna wanna rock yoru front axle backwards...... with the angle of it now, your tuber wont turn so well....

my $.02

looks real good thought!

WTG!
johnathanlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiman650
Well, I have managed to get more done on my crawler. Talk about a learning experience. I got the suspension somewhat sorted and mounted up and have mocked up the tranny as well. On the to do list:

1: Get softer springs for the shocks.
2: Make new upper mount plates that are flat instead of bent 90 degrees so I can get the links more parallel and lower the ride height a bit.
3: Mod the tranny by dumping the Hydradrive, locking it in a non destructive way (still have the Losi XX and may want to revive it some day) and connecting up the Traxxas sliders.
4: Narrow the rims (should I???) and mount the tires.
5: Clean up the frame, paint, and add a few panels.
6: Mount the electronics and go play!

A couple questions. First, am I the only one that thinks the cab part of the frame is small and looks out of proportion? I guess I could cut it off and redo it but probably won't bother for a while. Also, do you think I really need to narrow the wheels? Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Now for the pics.

how does it turn with the front axle/pinion turned up like that ? looks like it wouldn't at all . we work hard to shave axles and output shafts so our rig will turn better .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Sure the thing is a little out of proportion, but who cares...
Most tubers look funny
I see a good amount of triangles in there though..looks strong
Please hurry and post pics of it when done...
DWillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd
how does it turn with the front axle/pinion turned up like that ? looks like it wouldn't at all . we work hard to shave axles and output shafts so our rig will turn better .
Hehe. It doesn't turn at all yet as I haven't put the electronics in . The rest of this week is shot but I hope to get it rolling this weekend. I will adjust my links to fix the pinion angle a bit and straighten up the axle. I will also mess with shock position and if I have time actually move the lower links down to the belly. I may have to make new links but that is a piece of cake.

CB
Old 11-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I like the chassy but do you really need that much ground clearance, I think it would look and drive 50 times better if you lowered it down to where there was only about an inch drop in your lowers from the frame to the axle.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #34

I wasn't going for that much clearance, it has just turned out that way because I have to fix my suspension geometry. I will be moving my links this weekend and trying to get the front shocks mounted back up on the hoops to get the thing down from the stratosphere. If all goes well I should have some updated pics on Sunday.

CB
Old 11-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #35

Well I made some progress over the weekend. I got the suspension pretty much sorted out by lessening the pinion angle as well as moving the links closer to the bottom to get the ground clearance down. The only drawback is I ended up with about a 14" wheelbase, which is obviously not comp legal. I won't be competing so I guess this doesn't matter. I also got my driveshafts done and mounted. I found an alternative way to attach sliders to my XX tranny and lock it at the same time without any permanent mods just in case I want to revive my XX. Anyways, enough rambling and on to the pics. Any comments?

Old 11-13-2006, 09:09 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Take 3/4" off the rear links and 1 1/4" off the front and I think you will be golden. Even if you aren't going to compete 14" is a little long for those tires. Or get some red rocks, I would shorten it if it were me, killer chassie though.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote