Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: what do you all think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #21

I found a way to make a driveshaft that goes from the 6mm to 5mm... it doesn't look like it, but the middle piece actually slides so there is some give...

here are some picts..

standard flex shot

here is a shot of the drive shaft,
one end fits the stock 6mm out put yoke on the r1 tranny...
for the 5 mm output yoke, the other female end of the drive shaft is 8mm, i i hollowed out the drive shaft an extra mm, and it fit over the stock output yoke... then i drilled a hole on one of the sstock out put in the slot, because the grub screw from the drive shaft is huge...
the next photo after that is just a close up....

took it for a test spin, and everything seems to work well....

ill have to mash it up, to see how it holds up...

oh and i changed the chassis.... im actually of thinking of going back to the stock chassis plates flipped upside down...it flipped over more... but it climbed better...

we'll see...

ill try and get some photos of it outside... i always forget to take my camera though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james399
thats what im doing right now... but the 5mm output yokes doesn't fit that well on the 6mm shafts... ill play with it some more to see if i can make it work...

thanks for the tip...
james399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #22

Hey would this be something like what you were looking for?

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=557

But it also looks like you did a good job of engineering yourself a fix too!
Ballistic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 AM   #23

yeah i saw that after i bought all the parts for the drive shaft...

and i also wanted it in pretty metal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic223
Hey would this be something like what you were looking for?

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=557

But it also looks like you did a good job of engineering yourself a fix too!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

personally i don't think it looks bad. if there is a way to lower the center of gravity by maybe weighting the wheels it will sidehill a little better.
MrBigStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 AM   #25

I rebuilt her yet again with some different parts, it's getting late, ill post some picts up tomorrow...

used the stock plates, flipped it back over, cut off over an inch off the bottom... crazy good articulation... definitely a cheap way of making a very capable crawler chassis...

still rocking the r1 tranny, stock tlt axles dremeled down to turn more... traxxas 3 channel radio dual servos,

junco lower links, custom upper links (brake line and threaded rod) figured out how to use the stock servo plates, to triangulate the upper links on the axle,

so i guess if someone was trying to make a cheap crawler out of a tlt, they could do it for under 200 bucks... although my truck ended up costing more than that... (r1 = 199) alone... lol...
Old 04-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Looks like it will be a good build, looking forward to the updated pics, Man those are some mean lookin shafts
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #27

here are the pictures as promised...
its kind of a roller right now, i need to put a few more cross beams for support i like everything about, awesome flex, but i need to lower the upper links...
hopefully get it done in a coupla more days...

these are the mods...
stock tlt axles, with junfac front under guard
stock chassis cut!!
stock shocks,
xtreme drive shafts
r1 tranny
5-6mm adaptors
junfac lower links
custom upper links...
i have the traxxas 3 channel for 4 wheel steer
junface axle extensions
and 2.2 aluminum beadlocks...

Last edited by james399; 04-30-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Nice build. Those shafts look bomb proof. Definatly give you extra points
for trying it with a stock flipped TLT chassis. I would never of thought to
do that.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrene View Post
Nice build. Those shafts look bomb proof. Definatly give you extra points
for trying it with a stock flipped TLT chassis. I would never of thought to
do that.
thanks, the r1 tranny and drive shafts are nearly indistructable... lol... if anything i feel the axles will fail before they do...

update.. got it all up and running... articulates great with the lower links... slapped on a cut up traxxas roll cage for a body, crawls like a champ...

things to do,

i need a skidplate.... the cross beams on the bottom are getting hung up on rocks...

i need additional cross beams near the shock arms, and i need to find a good place to mount the battery....
Old 05-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #30
RCC Addict

i never realized how huge the r1 was. hey how did it work with the chassis flipped over? Alot of people kept saying to flip it back but I never really heard how it was actually working for you?
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
i never realized how huge the r1 was. hey how did it work with the chassis flipped over? Alot of people kept saying to flip it back but I never really heard how it was actually working for you?
with the chassis flipped upside down, it worked great... because it had a lot of ground clearance and was super long, i was able to go up steps... lol... the top of the chassis (or i should say bottom) was long and acted like a skid plate, it allowed me to slid up and over all kinds of things....

the only problem with such a long narrow wheel base, is that there is no body that will go on there... i like the scale look much more.... and it had a bad tendency to flip.... too top heavy...

the r1 is freaking massive and heavy as crap... amazing gear reduction... part of the reason i flipped it back over was to get it more to scale, and to lower the cg... even with the stock tlt shocks on there now, she climbs amazingly well, since the tires spin so slowly with so much torque, it grips everything pretty damn well, and i'm using the geo's... on standard narrow 2.2 aluminum bead locks.... no foam....

lately i have been more into the scale.... i got some new tlt axles and am in the process of building a scaler... pulled out my old k2-5s chassis and am building a 10 inch long wheel base fjcruiser... (the blue rc toy shell)... it looks pretty sick... i got the 5 spoke black hpi wheels, i wish i had more scale wheels and tires... but i don't wanna spend any more money...

after i'm done building the fj (2005) truck, ill probably sell one... i get more pleasure from the builds... so far with the numerous amounts of tear downs rebuilds, building trucks for freinds, i've built about 12 of these rock crawlers, various chassis, suspension etc... nothing was ever crazy or wicked insane, like the cross linked torsion chassis, but they all climb pretty damn well!!!

edit: she is done and crawls... all that i need is a skid plate, and some cross beams for between the shock mounts... lowered the link, and made the shocks more verticle... with the shocks so horizontal, i was getting a lot of axle twist...

all in all... if someone is looking to make a custom crawler... the tlt stock chassis is not a bad way to go... (when you drill holes, into it, i recomend clamping both side plates together and drilling them at the same time... seems obvious... but.... lol...)

Last edited by james399; 05-04-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #32

Finished the scaler, took it out for a spin, drive shaft pulled apart, and broke one of the lower links....

back to the drawing board, the chassis, axle was at too steep of an angle... but it was the only way, that i can get the shell on to the axle, and have it look right... kinda monster truckish..

when i have time, ill update with somepicts... as of now, she is gathering dust... a little bit busy these days...