Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my first torsion build. BMVII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default my first torsion build. BMVII

hey guys im going to post pics of my bmv2 build. i want some constructive criticism. I'm still waiting for a few things in the mail but here is what i have so far
build parts
bmv2 chassis (used)
tlt axles w/bearings (bearings in the mail)
pede trans with bearings(new) with steel top gear and idler gear (hope to get r2 or stealth soon)
Holmes hobbies Hyperion z3013
mamba 25 (coming soon)
elite 1500 8 cell 2/3a pack
and high torque airatronics servo super erg-vb (200 oz @ 6 v)
the tires will either be m2k's or moabs. haven't tried m2k's yet. the body will either be my rockwerks Toyota body or a bug body.
well here are a few pics *note i put the pic with the bushwhacker in for size reference

more to come tomorrow!!

Last edited by revin9k; 03-27-2007 at 10:38 PM.
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks good!:-P
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks! hope you will throw in some good set up advise
Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would go with a stealth tranny if you can find one. They really cut down on the weight and lower the COG. I cut a pocket for mine to fit in and it lowered the tranny and motor by 3/16". May not sound like much but every bit helps. You will love the chassis it is real easy to lay stuff out on and it is a makes for a very capable crawler.
sfrankland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

alright i got some work done on my rims today. i finished narrowing them. man this pair was a lot harder that the pede fronts. I'm guessing that its because they are harder and thicker. i had to file out the inside of the ring then heat it up with a heat gun then stretch it over and over to finally get it over the rim! well there done and i think they look pretty good with the tires on. here are a few pics. i haven't decided how to cut the foams for the mashers yet. any ideas? i was thinking maybe star pattern?

Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty good, the star pattern works pretty good w/ my Mashers, be sure to weight the wheels (around 6-8 oz's of weight depending on the weight of the wheel/tire combo, I like the total weight to be around 12 -13 oz's per corner) as it will help a lot w/ the BM chassis.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Looks pretty good, the star pattern works pretty good w/ my Mashers, be sure to weight the wheels (around 6-8 oz's of weight depending on the weight of the wheel/tire combo, I like the total weight to be around 12 -13 oz's per corner) as it will help a lot w/ the BM chassis.
when you say per corner do you mean R.F and R.R ? or do you mean per wheel? i know these things like weight. should i go with like a 60/40 front to rear weight basis? or more like 50/50?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

All for corners, you can run a little front bias in the weight it you have alot of vertical climbs and ledges.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

ok thanks. one more question for now..what type of springs do you use in the front? im thinking of going with the yellows.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I prefer the lilac or lavender shades myself.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

hey

How do you plan on mounting the body so that it does not effect the flex of the chassis?

If you have an idea we can fab something this weekend.

Will this one be Ellen's or yours?
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud
hey

How do you plan on mounting the body so that it does not effect the flex of the chassis?

If you have an idea we can fab something this weekend.

Will this one be Ellen's or yours?
well i plan on using either the toyota body i have now but i will be getting a bug body maybee by this weekend. i plan on using the body post that came with it (not pictured) if that doesnt work i will need your help to help me fab somthing up. this will be MINE! unless i like the other one better, but i dont think that will happen. hopefully i'll get everything done buy this weekend. all i need is another axel shaft. i plan on swaping the mamba from the other truck twards the end of the day (on sunday) and try this thing out. i got the hardwear in today and it looks good. all i need is a mamba and mount the body,trans and driveline. i should be able to do that by sunday...i hope
Old 02-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Hey Lawrence

If you would like to borrow a Mamba and what everelse you need that is fine. Maybe you can have both truck rolling this weekend.

Obsticle 1 (Gate 1 and Gate 2) on the course is awsome now
Obsticle 2 (gate 3, the bump and run) is a little more technical
Obsticle 3 (gate 4 & 5) is a strattle the gap
Obsticle 4 (Gate 6 & 7) is the rock pile with the hole
Obsticle 5 (gate is still the tree
Obsticle 6 (gate 9 & 10) (the climb) has grown but is a little too easy now
Obsticle 7 (gate 11) is a work in progress, its just two rocks now

hope you can run this weekend

Last edited by renoirbud; 02-20-2007 at 09:57 PM.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hey i am just starting to build my own rock crawler and i still dont get how this style of crawler flexes, can some one spell it out for me?thanks
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turblankas13
Hey i am just starting to build my own rock crawler and i still dont get how this style of crawler flexes, can some one spell it out for me?thanks
Ok, the plates that the axles mount to and the trany plate have holes that run all the way thru them and the piano wire gose thru the holes and is held in place by some lock collars allowing the wire to spin inside the plates. the 2 rods act together enough to keep it from tweeking to much but are free spinning to piviot enough to let it flex some. Hope I explained it good enough for you to understand.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin9k
alright i got some work done on my rims today. i finished narrowing them. man this pair was a lot harder that the pede fronts. I'm guessing that its because they are harder and thicker. i had to file out the inside of the ring then heat it up with a heat gun then stretch it over and over to finally get it over the rim! well there done and i think they look pretty good with the tires on. here are a few pics. i haven't decided how to cut the foams for the mashers yet. any ideas? i was thinking maybe star pattern?
I'm running the same rim/tire combo but I just cut off the outer beads inside and out and have some rock rings on the outside. Cut my foams to the width of the rim and then did a bunch of pie cuts all the way around kinda like a star pattern.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

look at the build called "project panzer" its a homade chassis like this made from cutting board. it looks awsome!

rene that would be very cool of you to let me borrow the mamba i just need to find an extra axel stup:-( i dont think i can get one here by saturday if i order tomorrow? i would like to come test out the new course on saturday if thats ok with you

i cut my foams in a star like pattern also. added a lot of weight,but this chassis is so light its all down low. i was going to sand down my axel cases today but i actualy had work to do i think my bearings came in the mail so ill pick them up tomorrow and install them.

could someone (dez) please tell me what holes you use to mount the servo? or do you have to drill your own? id like to run the bta steering setup if i can. here is how the chassis sits now

Old 02-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

This help?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

so did you have to drill your own holes?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

No?