Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Best Chassis Ever.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
[HOONIGAN]

Default The Best Chassis Ever.......

Yup, an SW3. Brad comes through again with another winner.
Specs:
First gen proto SW3, with full length skid
High clearence 8-32 links sleeved in delrin front and rear with jato rod ends
Losi XX tranny, 86/12
HH RR2/Mamba 25 combo
Maxx sliders
Hot Bodies shocks all around
TQ3
Fat-Rock front servo mount, modified to drop the servo 1/2" lower
Hextronic HX-12 servo
Pede fronts drilled to 3/8" holes
M2K's
Hacked up bug body

On to the pics...

Flex shots are at full compression on the front shocks and about a 1/4" of travel left on the rears.
I have it setup so at ride high the front shocks are about 1/3 of the way compressed, and so the chassis sits as low as possible. The cog of this setup is insane, it climbs like crazy! Plus if it gets high centered the front shocks extend out like a droop setup and get traction to pull it through.

Last edited by Wrecker; 02-26-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I see fuel tubing, is that a nitro?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

have the link/shock mount positions moved? or are they the same?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Maybe its just me, but I was never all that impressed with it. Rizzo had one to test and through all the different suspension setups, oils, springs, etc... I never really liked the way it drove, I prefer the SW2 and definetly the J2-TT...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE
I see fuel tubing, is that a nitro?
haha, no. My rx wire is ran inside it so it doesn't touch any metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
have the link/shock mount positions moved? or are they the same?
Moved compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel
Maybe its just me, but I was never all that impressed with it. Rizzo had one to test and through all the different suspension setups, oils, springs, etc... I never really liked the way it drove, I prefer the SW2 and definetly the J2-TT...
Everyone will have there preferences and like one chassis over the other, that's cool. I've found after a ton of tuning you can really dial a rig in. When I first recieved this chassis a couple months after nationals it was setup pretty crappy (due to my lack of knowledge). The sw2's I was running with were still whooping my azz on everything. Until just about a month ago I've finally figured out a setup that works freakin amazing! It's probably twice as capable with the current setup compared to my first setup. Now the sw2 has no chance to keep up with the 3. That's just in my experience though.

Last edited by Wrecker; 02-26-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

yeah i ran my sw2 the same way for a while, but recently i made some changes and it crawls a lot better, it is just finding what works.
Rc EnthuSiasTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker

Everyone will have there preferences and like one chassis over the other, that's cool. I've found after a ton of tuning you can really dial a rig in. When I first recieved this chassis a couple months after nationals it was setup pretty crappy (due to my lack of knowledge). The sw2's I was running with were still whooping my azz on everything. Until just about a month ago I've finally figured out a setup that works freakin amazing! It's probably twice as capable with the current setup compared to my first setup. Now the sw2 has no chance to keep up with the 3. That's just in my experience though.
oh yeah i completely agree, when i tore down my SW2 for the J2 it was soo dialed in! but it took me about 7 months before that happened. now im loving my J2... whatever works best for you man!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I really like the clearance you have out back
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i like the links. did you heat the delrin to bend or is it just forced on
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc EnthuSiasTs
yeah i ran my sw2 the same way for a while, but recently i made some changes and it crawls a lot better, it is just finding what works.
Totaly. Figuring out what works for your terrain and driving style is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel
oh yeah i completely agree, when i tore down my SW2 for the J2 it was soo dialed in! but it took me about 7 months before that happened. now im loving my J2... whatever works best for you man!
Yeah, it's a long and time consuming process to completely dial a rig in, but when you finally get there it is soooo worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing
I really like the clearance you have out back
Yeah, it works for me. I figure right at the back of the chassis is were you're going to need the most clearance for break overs. So drop the front end down to lower the cog and you still effectively have as much gc as the rear when you're driving over something, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxxjeremy
i like the links. did you heat the delrin to bend or is it just forced on
I run 8-32 all thread for my links, then drill out 1/4" delrin tubing to thread down the all thread for a sleeve then capped of with Jato rod ends. The bent links were not actually on purpose at first. At the first CO winter series event I think 75% of the field was too long on the wheelbase. So I whiped out two pairs of pliers and just started torqueing on all four links. It was a pain in the azz but it worked in the couple of minutes I had to shorten the wb a 1/4". A better way would be to just put one end in a vice and then bend them, much eaisier and more accurate. Since they have the rod in them you don't need any heat to keep them in place. Once you bend that 8-32 rod it ain't goin' anywhere.

Last edited by Wrecker; 02-26-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
2006 2.2 National Champ

Nice work on the build, I like the low stance. I bet that thing kills on the steep faces at Red Rocks.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #12
[HOONIGAN]

Some action shots. I'm usually the one taking the pics, so I don't have alot of me actually driving the thing. Anyways...

The slammed, narrowed, and dovetailed Rubi body that was just recently retired...

Yes....I'm a picture whore.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:30 AM   #13
Gettin’ back on the horse

DANG! whats that? ill have to get one of those, i heard their the best chassis out there, dang!
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #14
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle
DANG! whats that? ill have to get one of those, i heard their the best chassis out there, dang!
Hells yeah!;)
Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I am just impressed how you got the RX wire through the tubing. That must have been fun.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
I am just impressed how you got the RX wire through the tubing. That must have been fun.
Yeah, I spent prolly 30 minutes trying to feed it through and only get like 75% of the way. Let's just say I was getting a LITTLE frustrated!!! Then I got some safety wire, cut a really long piece and made it perfectly straigh. Then I fished that through (took maybe 2 seconds), electrical taped the rx wire to the other end and pulled it back through and tied a not in it so it would stay, perfect! That whole process took maybe 30 seconds, could have saved a half hour if I would have thought of that method first though.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker
Yeah, I spent prolly 30 minutes trying to feed it through and only get like 75% of the way. Let's just say I was getting a LITTLE frustrated!!! Then I got some safety wire, cut a really long piece and made it perfectly straigh. Then I fished that through (took maybe 2 seconds), electrical taped the rx wire to the other end and pulled it back through and tied a not in it so it would stay, perfect! That whole process took maybe 30 seconds, could have saved a half hour if I would have thought of that method first though.
Hahaha, so it's not nitro.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #18
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE
Hahaha, so it's not nitro.
haha, yeah. Even though nitros make the best crawlers I decided to stay with the brushless.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Where did u buy that chassis because i checked the bender site and its not there?
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turblankas13
Where did u buy that chassis because i checked the bender site and its not there?
Thats because the chassis is not out yet. Everyone that has this chassis right now are testers for bender. No one can buy it right now.
Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote