Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Thunderhorse TLT build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a set of axial rockster in black chrome last night
jwcustomwurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Nice, I really like the black chrome finish on those, but the Ericksons just look beefier to me. And as often as I mess stuff up the warranty on the Ericksons may prove handy.
lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
Nice, I really like the black chrome finish on those, but the Ericksons just look beefier to me. And as often as I mess stuff up the warranty on the Ericksons may prove handy.

Just don't put them on backwards
Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

LOL! punk! I just woke up my wife laughing! Maybe they will come with INSTRUCTIONS.. hm, maybe not.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
LOL! punk! I just woke up my wife laughing! Maybe they will come with INSTRUCTIONS.. hm, maybe not.
you could always go to the LHS and ask them to install them..lol
Old 04-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

HAH! I would rather risk doing it wrong, then let them do it wrong for me. How hard could it be right?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
HAH! I would rather risk doing it wrong, then let them do it wrong for me. How hard could it be right?
Well you have trouble telling the front from the rear on a vehicle with 4 wheels so I was just trying to help
Old 04-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, yeah. At least my new chassis is here, and the bearings, and the tires. Now I just have to choose the freaking wheels and I am set.

I think I am going to stuff the Futaba T2ph in here, and save the Hitech for my upcoming Clod project....

::EDIT::
I used the Hitech after all, the rec is so much smaller than the Futaba rec.

Last edited by lunchbox; 04-21-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah, yeah. At least my new chassis is here, and the bearings, and the tires. Now I just have to choose the freaking wheels and I am set.

I think I am going to stuff the Futaba T2ph in here, and save the Hitech for my upcoming Clod project....

::EDIT::
I used the Hitech after all, the rec is so much smaller than the Futaba rec.
yea it has a small footprint
Old 04-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

The Hitech is like half the size of the Futaba. It also has that cool little red LED that the Futaba doesn't! I am so close to being done that I am getting all antsy now... I'm still waiting for the body and spur/pinion to get here, then all I need is the battery pack, wideners, and the Ericksons... I may wait on the 3 and 3 battery that sits on either side of the servo for a while and just drive it with any of the 12 packs I have.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I really enjoy driving mine. It's like I have become one with the rocks....LOL
Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

LOL I will be on the rocks if I can make it to the LHS for wheel nuts, I just drilled and slotted my VMG hexes and stuck those on. Oh, I could cut the tread off and glue my new Moabs to the VMG sidewalls!! Then I would have more than 1/8th of an inch of clearance.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #33

Several of the local guys have seen your chassis now and everyone really likes it. I still haven't had much of a chance to really do some serious crawling with it yet but everything else I've tried out with it works great. I put in the tmaxx shocks and what a difference. They do work better with smoother travel. Only thing is that I had to limit the shock travel using fuel tubing because they were a little too long. Even with the red springs they seem a little hard. Right now I have 25w oil in the front and 30 in the back. So I'll have to try some lower weight oil. Also, I want to find some softer springs than the traxxas reds. Any ideas?

I want to see both your new builds. Post some pics soon!
golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I'm still using the red springs too. I haven't changed the oil out yet, and will add fuel tube when I do. I am running a 60/40 split but the front of the chassis is WAY higher than the rear.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm still using the red springs too. I haven't changed the oil out yet, and will add fuel tube when I do. I am running a 60/40 split but the front of the chassis is WAY higher than the rear.
Shorten the stroke of the maxx with fuel tubing inside on the shock shaft or use shorter shocks in front. I run the fuel tubing with no issues. Try losi soft white or medim yellow springs I run reds in the rear and yellow in the front.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #36

I shortened the stroke of the maxx shocks with fuel tubing and put losi white springs up front and yellows in the back and it is now dialed!

Today I finally got to try it out on some rocks! I think it crawls really well. Check out the short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDCA5jf24A
I only had my digital still camera with me that takes crappy videos so that's why the video quality isn't too good. Next time I'll take my real video camera.
golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Nice. I may have to get off my a$$ and finish my own now.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I switched to airsoft bb's and I'll never look back.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Well, I broke down last night and got some Pede front wheels to go with the Moabs and stuffed the front tires with 30g airsoft bb's and the rears with 20g airsoft bb's. It made so much noise I kept stuffing them untill they were quiet. It no longer sounds like a baby rattle, and they only flex alittle, but now I have to weigh them. Now if only I had gotten some axle nuts with the axles I bought... J/K, for what I paid for the axles I can't complain, besides, it gave me an excuse to order the Junfac wideners. I should be driving by the middle of next week, when the wideners get here from Thecrawlerstore. I also stuck the yellow Losi springs on the rear shocks and white on the front, but they are so soft the chassis doesn't recover from flex so I will try the yellows on the front with the reds on the rear. I also re-wired last night with all black 12g Dean's wire. When I deside weather or not to narrow the wheels I will glue the tires up. Aside from the shock springs only the tranny gears, motor, and RX are not black now. Maybe I can dye that RRP spur gear black, and get some black shock socks...

This build has only taken about 6 months so far, I can't wait till I get it done.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

did I forget the axle nuts? I'm sorry man. About time you get that thing running