Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: VSmile 2.2 in the works

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default VSmile 2.2 in the works

OK today was the day... got the chassi and now the carnage begins....

This nice Losi XXX BK2 was nice enough to let me take whatever I wanted to help with my new crawler :laughing_2:

So im thinking shocks, trans, electronics, servo, hmmm. what else can I salvage... hmmm... so many ideas and no money.. a problem???? :confused: we'll see
knok2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

What do you think about this position. Im worried about the drive line clearance while articulated. how would this work offset that much?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

here is how its sitt'n in there. I managed to dig a big enough hole in the delrin to allow it to mount up nice and flush with the plate withought going all the way through.

The drill bits really take off through that stuff. Saprised me on the first hole I tried to counter sink. That is why one of the screws is sitting a bit deeper. ohh well it worked.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

has anyone ever used a GTX speed control in a crawler? I know they are nice for racing, just not sure how it will perform going slow all the time.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by knok2222 View Post
Im worried about the drive line clearance while articulated. how would this work offset that much?

Looks allot better than some I've seen. Thats what u-joints are for.....different angles You can get away with murder with these RC u joints compaired to 1:1 joints

The angles I've got my drive shafts in my Super would KILL a 1:1 joint in a few full revolutions

Last edited by Reflection; 05-20-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

ya, this being my first shafty rig, im worry'n about it too much. Ive seen some half azzed setups before and I think this will work great. What is a good link length for a 2.2? is 12.5 is the limit right?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Each chassis is different and depends what split you want in your links. Some run a 50/50 split and some like a 40/60 split. I'd look at other VS builds,I've never built a VS. Yes,12.5" wheelbase is the limit if you want to run comps in the 2.2 class. If you want to run around a 14" wheelbase,you'll be pushed into the super class.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well I got the trans outdrives installed and locked with the ole' sandpaper trick. Seems to work really good. i honestly think this outdrive will break before the lock fails.

tranny only has 2 mounting holes on the skid plate. They are pretty tight but I honestly think that after time they will loosen up with all the torque transfering through the system. Anyone else made the xxx tranny mount better than that in a crawler?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Well it might have worked forever but I always take chances like that, and they always bite me in the arse. SO going with the safe than sorry method i rigged somthing up over coffee and chips! Check it out and tell me what you think. If ya ask me she aint moving nowhere. A solid 3 point mount.

sorry for dark pics. cam wouldnt focus with light on it.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

starting to look nice!
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

looks good! What will you be making your links out of? I would recommend delrin easier to work with as you have noticed!
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Just picked this up in a trade. looks pretty well set up. Ill rob the links shocks and axles. Should be all the rest I need other than experiance!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I found and old reciever mount I had laying around and decided to integrate it into my VS. I know its really high but it looks good there and Ill probably only use it for the reciever which is REALLY lite. Look good or no?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I hope im not going crazy with pictures. But I was playing around with some mounting options for the speedo too. I found another chunk of aluminium to play with. Is this going to be too much weight too high?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #15

looks great... ive always wanted to buy chassis but no cash...
jr17ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

The SW2 was a Tank compaired to my VS with the stealth in it. I will have to redo my top links. The tops were too short I think ill get some threaded rod today to make my rear steer lockout. and then im going to thread my own upper links. Baught this damn tap n die set, might as well use them. Got another set of drill bits last night.

One thing I did notice is the wheel on the front axle seems to wobble. Its bolted on correctly, so what it looks like it, maybe a bent stub shaft? Looking inthe hub I noticed that he has the chrome axles in there inner and outer. These stronger than the stock pop metal ones? Anyway its bent pretty bad, but ill just leave it for now.

...the last you'll see of the sw2!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

After putting the bottom links to the VS chassi I noticed another problem. There is no way Ill be able to use them either. They are way to long and would make the wheelbase closer to 15" SOOOO back to the drawing board. I think ill make a frame jig out of a ruler like I had seen somwhere else.. hmmmmm then Ill be able to cut links to the apropriate size without the hassel.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

well im ruffing it out and I think im getting somewhere. Using the spare links iv accumulated over the last year ive managed to get a "moch up" going and then i can copy the length of what I have. I want to run the axles offset, as if i were to take a stock rig and just stretch the rear. I think ive seen stuff like that before. Calling it like a 60/40 kit or somthing? im not sure what percentage mine is going to be but its looking like it will work... pics in order? sure!

My messy little work area

As it sits right now it looks like I need more caster. I was paying to much atention to my pinion angle which doesnt matter that much and ended up pointing the nose down into the ground. My question is... would it be better to shorten or move the upper links or lengthen the bottom?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

lengthen the bottom links and you will be fine but make sure the top of the servo is level to the ground
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Made the moch up bottom links a little longer and moved the mount on the upper links. Actually seems to work ok. Good rigid front end, not a lot of articulation, but thats what I wanted. The rear will do all the bending....