Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My SW3 Now with Dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking My SW3 Now with Dig

Well I have tried to hold out as long as i could but at our last comp it became apparent that if you are not running dig you are at a disadvantage. I still was able to sneak away with the win but only by two points. With this stiff of competition I felt it was time for Dig.

I Placed my order with RCP Crawlers for the R2D trany and received it the next day. In fact everything on my crawler can be purchased at RCP Crawlers.

With a little searching here on the form i was able to get some great ideas form others that have put one of these R2D tranys in there crawlers.

The R2D was a pretty easy install into my SW3. I only had to drill two holes in the side plate to mount the servo to operate the dig. I opted to run a 5955 servo for my dig. It is probably over kill but what the heck.

Well enough talk here are some pics.

Before:

After:

Last edited by 51504rock; 11-02-2007 at 02:40 AM.
51504rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

looks mean

very competitive setup
iwantoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantoffroad View Post
looks mean

very competitive setup
Thanks Man

We will see.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

oops, sorry big D, forgot to call you back, call you when I get off work tonight, now all you need to do is mod the radio with the 3 position switch and your in there............................ .....me to so I can get the LYNX 3D out of mine

Last edited by halfcab; 11-02-2007 at 05:34 AM.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I've always held a high respect for you when you beating us all without dig. that last comp at Folsom ( I wasn't there ) was pretty close, and those courses looked pretty tight.

Now you will have to use 2 hands to beat us at Moonrocks
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Keep it real

Looking good Dustin I like the way you mounted the dig servo, and 333oz.........you won't have any problems with the dig hanging up
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I opted to run a 5955 servo for my dig. It is probably over kill but what the heck.

WOW! I thought I was over killing my dig with a Hitec 645.
Nice Rig. That Novak Brushless has a lot of power. I ran one last year.
Be careful with it on the R2D gears. Good luck with the new dig setup.

Rick-
cars69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks For the complements.

I did this DX3 toggle Switch Mod, Thanks rkrawler DX3 toggle switch installation

So far i am very happy with this set up. With the 5955 servo i have had no problems with the dig engaging or disengaging. I really like this setup because i can lock the rear tires or let them free wheel.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504rock View Post
Thanks For the complements.

I did this DX3 toggle Switch Mod, Thanks rkrawler DX3 toggle switch installation

So far i am very happy with this set up. With the 5955 servo i have had no problems with the dig engaging or disengaging. I really like this setup because i can lock the rear tires or let them free wheel.
Looks good D!! Want to hit up the waterfalls next tues to test it?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Looks good D!!

Yeah they do!

Quote:
Oh man I remember reading that one thinking I needed to do it for the Hi Lift. I forgot about it and here it is again where I could use it for the R2 tranny!

I gotta do this!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Looks good D!! Want to hit up the waterfalls next tues to test it?
Thanks Brandon. Yea waterfalls Tuesday sounds good, give me a call.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post

Yeah they do!

Oh man I remember reading that one thinking I needed to do it for the Hi Lift. I forgot about it and here it is again where I could use it for the R2 tranny!

I gotta do this!

Yea the DX3 Mod works great and very easy to do. I like it for working my winch line on my scaler too
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Awesome! That's very similar to what I am working on building right now... It's good to see that the Goat fits in the SW3 without any major problems.

What steering servo are you using, and are you running a seperate BEC in there? If not, do you find the system has enough power for the servos without it? ((I am planning to use a JR 8711 and a dig servo in mine (not sure what size yet), but didn't want to fry anything/loose servo power.))

Cheers
gr33nlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:19 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So how exactly dose the DX3 mod work with the R2D do you keep the switch locked to one side for drive then middle is free wheel then all the way is brakes or what? Can you explain this a little better.....
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nlite View Post
Awesome! That's very similar to what I am working on building right now... It's good to see that the Goat fits in the SW3 without any major problems.

What steering servo are you using, and are you running a seperate BEC in there? If not, do you find the system has enough power for the servos without it? ((I am planning to use a JR 8711 and a dig servo in mine (not sure what size yet), but didn't want to fry anything/loose servo power.))

Cheers
Yea the goat fits Great and i love it. I am running two 5955 servos off the Goat esc and i find that the seytem has enough power for them.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #16
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nlite View Post

Cheers
The goat system has plenty of power for the steering. I would think the extra servo wont make a difference if the EPA's are setup correctly.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
So how exactly dose the DX3 mod work with the R2D do you keep the switch locked to one side for drive then middle is free wheel then all the way is brakes or what? Can you explain this a little better.....
The way you just explained it is exactly how it works.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
2006 2.2 National Champ

Very nice. Do you notice the weight of the extra servo on the chassis while crawling? I'm slowly working away on my dig set-up.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The way you just explained it is exactly how it works.
So when running in 4wd there's always a load on the servo? If so have you noticed anything with your run times?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:47 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
Very nice. Do you notice the weight of the extra servo on the chassis while crawling? I'm slowly working away on my dig set-up.
Thanks Brad. Yes I do notice the weight of the servo. But the little extra weight has been a good trade off for dig. I am thinking about trying a mini servo because i think the 5955 is way more than needed. I have been beating the snot out of this set up this weekend and have yet to have a problem. Just make sure you have your End points adjusted and your linkage set up with out any binding. I have put this set up in a bind were i stalled the motor and the everything held up to the goat system. so far so good