Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My first tuber attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Cool My first tuber attempt

Well I decided with every one building tubers I would build one too. lol Actually I wanted to use this as a learning experience for a future project I have planned. I had all the parts laying around to build this rig other than the brake line and shocks, every thing was stuff I had traded for that I really didn't need at the time or left overs from previous projects.
It is larger than most tubers out there, but I went for a little more of a scale look. Wheelbase is 12.4" and it running a droop style suspension.
Parts:
3/8" brake line
TLT axles
Pede tranny
Mashers
Axial Beadlocks
Pede front shocks x4
Xtreme RC Upper link/servo mounts x2
55t Lathe
Super Rooster ESC
JR Receiver
2/3 A 6 cell pack
Links are threaded rod covered in brake line.

What I learned from the test run, it worked quite well. It needs wideners, a stronger servo, the foams need cut, and it needs longer shocks.
Any advice and criticism is appreciated.

Now some pics.

A naked pic

Battery Mount

Flex shot

And a little vid from it's test run.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Prime; 11-28-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

looks really good. nice work. the only thing I would do in the future is just weld the nuts for the panel mounting directly onto the chassis. it will just save you some time in the long run.

everything else looks really good, I wish my first, or even second one looked that good.

now go scratch it up!
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Looks great! cant wait to see it in person!
rctraxzdriver33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Tubers are a bit complicated with all the designing, bending and attaching, whether it be welding or brazing. The paint seems nice and thick, powder coated by chance. You get an A+ by my standards!

Great job man, keep up the good work.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

good lookin rig. Why do you think it needs longer shocks? I run the front pede shocks on my rig and I love the travel/articulation...
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
looks really good. nice work. the only thing I would do in the future is just weld the nuts for the panel mounting directly onto the chassis. it will just save you some time in the long run.

everything else looks really good, I wish my first, or even second one looked that good.

now go scratch it up!

Thank you. Your tubers were a big inspiration for this build. The next one I build will have the nuts brazed on. I brazed washers on this one and it was a bit of a pain.
Oh trust me it is scratched up now. I gave it quite a work out after these pics were taken.

rctraxzdriver33: Yeah we are going to have to get together and do a little crawling.

STEW<CO>:Thanks. It is just paint. I used a couple coats of primer followed by a two coats of red and a coat of clear. That is why it looks rather "deep'. I would have loved to have gotten powder coated, just with Christmas and a little on the way I didn't have the extra money. lol

ElChupacabra:I am going to run it some more before I make a concrete decision, but sometimes it felt like it needed another inch of travel to reach the ground in a situation where all four tires were trying to be on a different plane. If one of the front wheels was trying to reach a rock considerably lower than the other wheels it would pull one of the rear tires off the ground and make it a little "tippy". Since drop style is new to me I am going to give it a few more runs before a making the final call.

Thanks again everyone for the comments and feedback, I really do appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Thank you. Your tubers were a big inspiration for this build. The next one I build will have the nuts brazed on. I brazed washers on this one and it was a bit of a pain.
here's a little how-2. should work for brazing washers as well with a little adaptation.

Brazing my nuts to a tuber.....

I spray all my tubers with appliance epoxy paint. the stuff is like powdercoat in a can, very durable. only problem is it only come in white, black, and stainless steel look; good thing everything looks good in black.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks for the tip on brazing the nuts, so simple, so effective.

Thanks for the tip on the appliance paint. Now if only I could find it in "70's Avocado Green". lol