Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Choices Choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #1

Default Choices Choices

I just bought a stampede transmision on ebay for $32.00. I want to make a competition crawler out of my TLT-1. I have seen the Bulu chassis and they seem to work great. I would get one, but being only 14 and not have huge money banks it would be hard to cough up that kind of money. I have thought about making a custom chassis. I have very basic tools and my dads help. He is very good with tools. I was wondering if any body could help me deside what to do and some ideas on chassis designs.

Thanks
CrawlerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can make a fairly inexpensive chassis. Here's an example:

http://www.gerrish.net/donstlt.htm

It performed pretty well! Not up to Bulu levels, but nicely. It was made from Kydex sheet ($8.50 a sheet, and I only needed 1)

Ryan
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #3

how do you mount a pede tans. I was going to try to use aluminum. I want something that has good ground clearance and good COG. Is kydex easy to cut and is it strong and where can I get it.
CrawlerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

For my latest creation I just went to a metal recycler and got two scrap sheets of aluminum (8" X 16") for like $7.00 total. probably enough to do 6-8 RC's. And I just designed the main chassis plates using cardboard first and then transfered the pattern to the aluminum. then I used a drill and a jig saw to cut them out. Then I spent WAY too long with a hand file making everything straight and nice, but it now looks like it was almost done on a CNC. So if you take your time you can make it look very nice.

Heres the link: The Wife's 2.2 is done.....

As for mounting the trans, you will see that there is several sets holes in the main housing that you jusy bolt to the chassis.
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote