Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: New Custom Super Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New Custom Super Chassis

I'm currently designing my own custom chassis and im not sure what material i should use.
I was considering 6mm (1/4 inch) 6061 aluminum, or is that overkill Maybe 3mm (1/8 inch)
What about Delrin of about 6mm (1/4 inch) thickness

I plan on using stock tranny and axles, powered by Rooster Crawler ESC and twin Warrior 35t's, Moab XL's on narrowed Cheyenne bead locks, and savage shocks, with the towers and shocks protruding through the body.
A.K.A. Mir4dor, Bender (Rocktapus was the best TXT ever built, in my opinion)

Here is some pics of the chassis under design...

and the other side...

Let me know what you think

Last edited by SKareKrow; 11-29-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Corrected conversion thanks raptorman57
SKareKrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Your a tad off on your figures. 6mm is almost 1/4" 3mm is almost 1/8"

1/8" (.125) 6061 is plenty for chassis plates.

I prefer aluminum myself,as do allot of people. The majority of chassis plates are made from aluminum. Some have found delrin works if it's braced properly. Delrin is just about a must have for skids though,slides really well.

Last edited by Reflection; 11-29-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks Raptorman57 might have to get some Delrin after all. fixed those conversions too
Old 11-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

If you do the plates with delrin,after looking at the drawings a bit,I think you'll need several braces. Since the shock mounts are so tall and thin,they'll flex a good deal. The "webs" through the middle of the plates may or may not flex a little. Such long spans like that,with a flexable plastic,a few extra braces will help add strength if anything.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Sounds like the 3mm aluminum might be the way to go then. That's why i was going to go 6mm, i didn't want it to bend at all, but the weight is an issue.
I have no experience with Delrin at all, didn't realize it was so flexible.
Thanks again Raptorman
Old 11-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
MODERHATER™

If you make it out of delrin use at least 1/4". Even for a super that may be too thin though. Try it out and see what happens! How long do you plan on making the chassis?

I am the owner of Rocktapus now, and I can tell you if you plan on using the stock tranny and 2 35 turn motors with no gear reduction, you won't be doing much crawling. And yes it is one awesome TXT!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Just out of curiosity, why will the 35's not work in the TXT?
I imagine with a 9 tooth pinion it would be as slow as molasses running up hill on a cold winter day.

Course there are always 100 turn singles if you want it really slow.
justadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadork View Post
Just out of curiosity, why will the 35's not work in the TXT?
I imagine with a 9 tooth pinion it would be as slow as molasses running up hill on a cold winter day.

Course there are always 100 turn singles if you want it really slow.
Because there is no gear reduction in the axles or tranny, it is really geared high for a crawler.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
RCC Addict

666 is right, I tried 2 55t's, 9t pinions on 3 cell and the motors would stall just trying to climb the curb outside my house. Might I advise a cobalt puller with a GRU?

Another factor to consider is tire size. A pair of 35s with 9t pinions might do it with maxx mashers (5.5" or so), but you've got no chance with moab XL's at 7 inches.

Another thing to mention, I personally think savage shocks are way too long. You can make it work, but it'll be hard. Unless you run droop the chassis will end up so tall you won't get through tight spots, and you'll struggle to get your COG down low enough. You'll also have to limit the crap out of their travel, especially if you mount them to the links. A 4" shock is usually a better fit IMO.

I like the look of the chassis. Very nice tasteful design. May as well add a few extra upper link mounting holes though, it's nice to have the adjustability.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 11-30-2008 at 01:26 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
If you make it out of delrin use at least 1/4". Even for a super that may be too thin though. Try it out and see what happens! How long do you plan on making the chassis?

I am the owner of Rocktapus now, and I can tell you if you plan on using the stock tranny and 2 35 turn motors with no gear reduction, you won't be doing much crawling. And yes it is one awesome TXT!

^^^ I am sooooo Jealous ^^^
Here's what two Warrior 35t's (see JP Custom RCs http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...86/5254837.htm) in parallel do to a stock axle shaft...

and the dogbone still in the knuckle...

Needless to say i now run Thundertech CVD's and the 35t's in series. It crawls fine with 15 tooth pinions, plus O.K. wheel speed (very slight stall issue when wheels bind up), and slow as a wet week with 9 tooth pinions (no stall issues that i have come across).

And here's an img of the new chassis laid over a mock up of the stock chassis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
666 is right, I tried 2 55t's, 9t pinions on 3 cell and the motors would stall just trying to climb the curb outside my house. Might I advise a cobalt puller with a GRU?

Another factor to consider is tire size. A pair of 35s with 9t pinions might do it with maxx mashers (5.5" or so), but you've got no chance with moab XL's at 7 inches.

Another thing to mention, I personally think savage shocks are way too long. You can make it work, but it'll be hard. Unless you run droop the chassis will end up so tall you won't get through tight spots, and you'll struggle to get your COG down low enough. You'll also have to limit the crap out of their travel, especially if you mount them to the links. A 4" shock is usually a better fit IMO.

I like the look of the chassis. Very nice tasteful design. May as well add a few extra upper link mounting holes though, it's nice to have the adjustability.
Still a work in progress. Will take your advice onboard about the upper link holes. I was hoping to turn the tranny on its side to lower COG. Shocks will mount to axle on a fair angle e.g. Roctapus...

Thanks to all for your input
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
RCC Addict

This truck has the tranny laid over, you might be able to get some ideas from the thread.
Super Duper

Actually, I think it's the coolest TXT super on the board.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
This truck has the tranny laid over, you might be able to get some ideas from the thread.
Super Duper

Actually, I think it's the coolest TXT super on the board.

Thanks, I have seen that truck before ages ago. I love the dual front servos and that dig system is very well made. The lower tranny mount is just like the solution I pictured in my head (must have remembered subconsciously).

Here's how it's mounted currently, but I need to cut that off to make room to turn it sideways...
Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I like how you incorperated the TXT-1 into the chassis frame. Looks good.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle
Here's what I got so far, I figured there's no such thing as too much adjustment...

And just for fun here's a quick render of the assembly, still more cross braces to work out but I'll do that when the time comes...
Old 12-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Still searching for some good 6061 aluminium locally, can only find soft stuff.
Should be able to get it plasma cut for about $40 from a place across the road from work. Just gotta supply my own aluminium.
As for it being mass produced, I'm only 1 man with an idea If there was interest from a manufacturer I'm sure we could come to some arrangement
Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

get ahold of StangKillaSS aka "the Scale Shop" he gets stuff waterjetted, maybe he could work you in one of his orders...
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
get ahold of StangKillaSS aka "the Scale Shop" he gets stuff waterjetted, maybe he could work you in one of his orders...
Did just that^^^. thanks PEDEcrawlerguy for the advice. I have been trying to get this done locally (Australia) for about 6 months but most places had no idea where to get 6061 aluminium Seems like that stuff is fairly exclusive to the U.S.
SO A BIG THANKS TO STANG KILLA SS for saving this project and being very patient through half a dozen emails sorting out file format problems
The ball is rollingyay
Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Default Update

Just a quick update...
The plates are on there way
will put up pics when I get my hands on them8-)
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Here's a pic as promised...

Cant wait to get it put together!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

cool plates. cant wait to see it finished
moron88 is offline   Reply With Quote