Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: i stretched my WB a bit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default i stretched my WB a bit... i cant stay away from this damn thing!

my txt was at 12.75".... very short i know, but i decided to scrap the idea of making it a 2.2 truck. last night i put new links on the rear end and now im sitting at 14.5"... i got tired if getting the truck in situations where i was saying "if it were longer it would have made it up that..." i left the front end alone and put the links from my old clod chassis on the rear end (ill be seling the clod axles soon btw) and its now about 60/40 with a 14" WB... i dont have a rear shaft in it yet but last night with front wheel drive only it climbed the stairs in my livingroom just as well as it did before with the 12" WB and 4 wheel drive... so i already know it'll perform better than it did. so guess now i need revo shafts... to those who have revo shafts... how hard is it to make them work? can someone whos never done it before just pick up a set of revo shafts and modify them to make them work? im sure there is a write up on it here somewhere, ill look for it and start educating myself tonight...

Last edited by dieselfuel; 06-13-2006 at 01:52 PM.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There's a thread HERE about using the Revo's including on the TXT. They just take a little trimming inside / outside the transmission yokes in order to work.
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Maxx shafts don't need any modding at all.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

wat r the best material ti make links out of for the txt, i know i used 6/32 threaded rod with 3/16 brake line for mt tlt but is that strong enuff for the txt?
hansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Threaded rod and a tube is the easy way to do it. I personally wouldnt run that way. I ran .25" dia solid alum stock that I drilled/tapped the ends to accept 3mm screws and traxxas rodends. That worked good, but I would step it up to 1/8 scale rodends (like the Kyosho 6.8mm or LST or MGT etc.) and some larger dia rod like 5/16 or 3/8.
mtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

yeah after stretching my txt out i immediately started bending things due to the length of the rear links.... the txt is getting sidelined for a little while while i work on a ta02 truck. i fries the steer servo on it so i decided this was a good time to down the truck and overbuild the **** out of it... ill be stepping up to 1/8th scale ends on 5/16" links, maxx or revo shafts, rear steer, new tires and redesigning the rear suspension a bit... bigger is better!!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

well after lengthening my WB, i was kinda disappointed. it wasnt performing very well. the way i had the shocks mounted wasnt working too well and the mounts for the lower rear links wasnt strong enough. where i had the lower rear links mounted bent in about 2min of crawling, i had it on the long screw that goes through the axle and had a spacer holding it up about 1/2" off the axle... and i had the shocks mounted on the lower links with the inet r/c links that came with the "bat" chassis i ended up with in a trade. (that chassis is horrible by the way) these shock mounts are horrible also, theyre too tall, they sit the shock too high off the link, it binded the suspension. overall i wasnt pleased with it at all...

so i tore the truck down and started redesigning things... i cut the bottom of the tranny off and supported it like EeePee did with the crossmembers. rearranged the links on the front.. ive got the inet long links on the bottom and stock long txt links for the uppers. now the WB is at 15 3/4", i mounted the shocks directly to the axle like it was before, i could use some longer shocks but it flexes ok as is... now i need a steering servo or two, maxx shafts, and to mount my new ESC... i was gonna post up pics but imageshack hates me...
Old 06-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Diesel, you'll need to do some work on the Maxx shafts. They will bolt right on, but they'll also snap right off if you do any hardcore 'wheeling. Here is what I finally did after blowing out lots of Maxx sliders:

Run 4 female ends; one for each tranny output, another for each axle input. Cut the universal end off of 2 males. Run a piece of 3MM threaded rod thru the hole in each of the male shafts (or any other metal rod that will fit inside the slider). Glue a male into ONE of the female parts (front and rear). That's it, you're done. Mine have been in the truck like this for over a year now with ZERO problems.

I basically had to stay with the Maxx instead of Revo because the Revo sliders are much bigger and hit a few things in my truck.
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

ok, when i get the shafts ill do that. ive heard that maxx shafts arent as strong but hadnt seen any evidence, that sounds easy enough though... thanks man.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
MODERATOR™

I've twisted unmodded shafts when the wheelbase is set up at 15.5 inches, though they're still usable.

Set up at 14 inches, I've had no issues.

I don't mind having a ~$7.00 replacement weakpoint either.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

yeah im up to 15.5" now, i wouldnt mind having to keep some spare driveshafts around, id rather have that go out then an axleshaft as the driveshaft is easier to replace.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Y'all are right about the driveshafts being the best weak point. I got laughed at for a while because they would literally fly out from under my TXT. Now that the shafts do not give out at all, I have to be very conscious of drivetrain breakage when I crawl. I broke a tranny case once. It cracked clean across the bosses that retain the main output shaft bearings. It didn't damage any gears because the case flexed and the gears seperated, but it still wasn't fun.
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

hahah that'd be kinda neat to see fullmod... im buying a set this weekend, im just gonna buy a couple sets of them, ill try it unmodified first and it they dont last long ill definetly modify them the way you said...

EeePee, you're running smaller tired too right? those mashers arent as tall as the stock txt tires right? im thinking the tire size is what might be keeping your shafts in tact. unless fullmod is running a shorter tire too... i wanna run moab XLs, i know they're tall, but not sure how tall they are..
Old 06-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel
those mashers arent as tall as the stock txt tires right?
Masher - 5.5

TXT - 6
Old 06-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

hmmmm... i might just run them, theyre 2.2 right? how do you like them? and are they narrower than the stock txt tires?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #16
MODERATOR™

They aren't a 2.2, they're for a Maxx sized wheel. Maxx Masher.

And they're awesome. Stickier then sticky rice compound, and super flexible. I run mine with an unncut 2.2 Masher foam.

Overall they're about a half inch shorter, and a half inch narrower than a TXT tire.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

hmmmmm... sounds good, ill be looking into a set of those.