Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: TXT Dig (with 2speed gear reduction)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
chb

Default TXT Dig (with 2speed gear reduction)

I’ve read articles on DIG but haven’t read anyone trying this before. All the articles I’ve read on front dig they remove power to the rear and LOCK the rear so it doesn’t turn. . So what I came up with is this. I designed my own 2 speed gears reducer with a 3:1 and 1:1 gear ratio. I then mounted it to the rear output shaft of the tranny. So 90 percent of the time you keep it in gear 2 with the 1:1 gear ratio so the rear tires and the front tires rotate the same. When you what it to dig such as a vertical ledge and what the front to dig (grab) in you shift the gear case to 1 which has the 3:1 gear ratio. This give the front tires time to gab and with the rear rotating at 3:1 it also help propel the vehicle forward (instead of dragging the rear wheels) up and over the ledge until you don’t have to worry about going over backward and then you can shift the rear gear case into 2 (1:1 gear ration) on the fly and go on your merry way. I should have it mounted to my rig this weekend to see how it works. Let me know what you guys think of this idea because maybe I’m way off base.

chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 AM   #2

That sounds like a good idea to me. I haven't seen anyone change the gearing on one axle for a dig. If you're way off base, I sure don't see it :-)
Reiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

let us know how it works for ya.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Interesting!

Keep the thread updated!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

I would like to see a video of this working!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
chb

I got my two speed gear reducer all hooked up last night and I would have too give it a two thumbs up . It’s a great improvement especially on vertical climbs like crawling up the face of the sofa or over vertical (>)faces where before my vehicle would just wedge itself in the crack and wouldn’t climb up and over. When I have time and if I can figure out how to post a video I will.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I have used photobucket. I am sure some of the computer savy peopel will be able to help you though.

http://photobucket.com/register.php?link=topmenu
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

It lookos like you used most of a cordless drill to make the reduction unit? If so, the gears should be more than strong enough.

This is a great idea, can't wait to hear how it works
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
chb

I finally got a video uploaded in photobucket. It's really not an action video but you'll get the idea of how everything works with this video. I see i'm having some problems attaching my video to this site. I'll do a seach and see what i'm doing wrong and hopefully have it posted this afternoon.

The gears are out of a cordless drill microgoat.

Like I said before "it's a great improvement with the rear gear reducer” but after some testing I found a major draw back in my attempt of front dig. Under HIGH loads the reducer doesn't like to shift. So I'm going to try something else. So I’m thinking on using a slip clutch mounted on a worm drive. The worm drive will give me the holding power I'm looking for to lock the rear. It would be on the same concept of how the adjustment ring works on some cordless drills. You turn the ring to the highest setting and it locks the clutch so it doesn't slip. Set the ring to the lowest setting and the clutch will slip if the load it too high.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
chb

Here’s a few pic’s on my slip clutch so far in the works for my rear drive. I’ll be changing out the 52 tooth spur gear and running a grooved pulley with a cogged belt that I found at Tower Hobbies.

As with the video of my 2 speed gear reducer… I see I don’t have the privilege to have accesses to up load a video.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
chb

I think this link should work. It's the video of the 2 speed rear gear reducer.
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/roccrawl/
Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

pretty cool, has it been rock tested yet?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
RCC Addict

how does it work on the rocks?

neat concept I would like to see a video of it working.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
Web Wheeling

Our rocks around here are covered with snow ;)
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #15
chb

This is what i got so far. All i have to do is mount the servo and connect the electronics. If i have time,i'll have it up and running this weekend.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #16
chb

I would a had a video for you guys and gals of my rear slip clutch drive but I ran into a little problem. I was hooking up my battery for my receiver and noticed it was dead so I had a spare 9.6v radio receiver battery which was a mistake to try. I heard a pop and then smoke from my ESC so I'm thinking my ESC is fried along with my receiver..
Old 03-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #17
Web Wheeling

What kind of ESC was it? And the reciver, am or fm? Also are you running deans plugs on your motor, or direct solder? And battery connection that you use? I might have a spare esc you could use, if you wanted to come out to Taylors falls with us this Sunday, also have a battery pack you could use with it.

Might have a spare reciver too, depending on what you are using.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
Winner of the '07 RCC dumbass award!

Default Neutral position?

Do you have a neutral position for the rear?

Just remember, when a tire loses traction in one direction..... It loses traction in ALL directions.

Hope that front tlt axle likes side load!
WheelChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
chb

1: It was a Rebel 2 ESC and I was using a AM receiver. I'm thinking the ESC is shot but could just the crystals in the receiver be shot? I'm running plugs to my motor.2: I would like to come to Taylor Falls this Sunday but I'm heading down to my brothers to help him put up trim. 3: I do have a neutral position on the rear.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
Web Wheeling

I have a spare tekin rebel 2 in my box, might have a traxxas 3 channel reciver some where too, and I am pretty sure I have some am crystals some place.

I'll PM you, maybe we can meet up some time and I can help trouble shoot the thing.