Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Newbie Tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #1

Default Newbie Tuber

I just recently got my first RC Crawler a little over a month ago. Up till then, I'd only seen some of the other guys in our Jeep club playing with their RC Crawlers at our Saturday Coffee Run. I decided to pick up a used TLT based crawler from a buddy and then the bug hit me. The small crawler is fun but I wanted something a little bigger. So, I picked up a nice TXT off eBay that had aluminum knuckles, 40 series Moabs and a few other bling bling parts. Since I fabricate part time, doing the suspension and chassis is the easy part for me.. I'm stupied though when it comes to all the electronic stuff. My plan is to run an R2 tranny and pickup a Novak Crawler Brushless motor and ESC system. Not sure what to run for servos for the front/rear steer but I want beefy. I want to be able to abuse this thing like I do my 1:1 buggy. I already bought a pair of aluminum TXT housings and CVD shafts. I also have a pair of Punisher driveshafts.

Overall plan is to build something to bash around with. I welcome any and all criticism and suggestions. I am very new to this but love the fact that I can almost spin out an entire chassis in a single day compared to a 1:1 rig.
I just started this project today but got pretty far down the line..

Frame: 3/16"x.030" 4130 Chromolly Tubing Silver Soldered

Power: Novak Crawler Brushless

Tranny: R2

Driveshafts: Punishers

Axles: Aluminum Housing TXT w/CVDs

Tires: 40 Series Moabs (dual beadlocks down the road)

Shocks: Current HPI 4" and 3.5".. would like longer.

Suspension: Dual Triangulated adjustable 4 links front/rear. Links will be 5/16" dia 7075 aluminum with aluminum rod ends.

Steering: Still undecided on servos.

Skid: 4"x4"x1/4" thick piece of UHMW plastic (oil impregnated.. slides like it's on ice). I use this stuff on my 1:1 buggy.. it's awesome.

Anyhow, here's what I got done today...

BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

looks good just finish up the joints and paint it and it will be good to go
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Just got back from seeing this thing in person. It's painted and pretty much ready to go. Just get it all done and put together man, and rub it in when you get that brushless system:-P
krawlinCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlinCJ View Post
Just got back from seeing this thing in person. It's painted and pretty much ready to go. Just get it all done and put together man, and rub it in when you get that brushless system:-P
How bout I just rub it in that I just finished putting the CVDs and aluminum knuckles on the aluminum axle housings?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #5

Okay.. finished the chassis and got it painted. Bent a hood out of 6061 T6 aluminum that I had laying around. Locked the diffs and got the CVDs in the front axle. Also, made a mount to mount the servo behind the front axle and reversed the steering knuckles. It's a tight fit but eveything clears okay so far.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Adilynsdad too!

Looks cool but, how is the driver gonna see over the hood?
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
Looks cool but, how is the driver gonna see over the hood?
Plan is to have the driver stick his head out of the top of the cage.. he'll wear a helmet in case he rolls.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Adilynsdad too!

Good thinking
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #9

You mean like Rob in Sams jeep? All the driver needs is a periscope yea and put a snorkle on there too.

Looks awesome, I'll take some better shots when I get to see it this weekend.
gabemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #10

That thing turned out great Eddie! I can not wait to see the other build though.
outlawjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Yeah get your new frame up here.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #12

Only have a crappy dark pic. Ended up using TLT axles in the first chassis. Lots of fun beating this thing up in the backyard on my rockpile. Started the other chassis this weekend and got pretty far on it. Think I'm going to mount the tranny up toward the front of the skid and use two driveshafts with a pillow block to span the rear.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

4130 Chromolly cage.. silver soldered
17" wheelbase
4.5" skid height at full compression
UHMW skid (self oiling plastic)
Savage shocks setup with a droop style suspension
7075 aluminum links with aluminum rod ends
Novak Brushless Crawler setup
Associated M4 tranny in aluminum housing
Revo driveshafts
TXT aluminum housings with CVDs
40 series Moabs on narrowed rims
4:1 GRU if needed

I'm liking this droop suspension design. I've used stacked ballpoint pen springs in the shocks to keep the shafts drawn up but I think I'm going to try some springs with a higher rate to try and keep the shocks (front at least) sucked up a little harder for climbing ledges.. maybe some thicker shock oil too.. still have to get it running and tune it.

Sorry for the dark pic.. I'll get more later..

Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
RCC Addict

did you make your own servo bracket or where did you get it??

Nice build!
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
did you make your own servo bracket or where did you get it??

Nice build!
Thanks! I made the bracket. Really not that hard, just takes time with a drill press, grinder, Dremel and a couple files.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:08 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

That is one nice build.
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #16

Got the tranny in the mail today.. woohoo! Since the Associated M4 tranny uses CVs at the outputs, I had to spend some time on the lathe. While I was there, I decided to do away with the tranny's differential and just make a spool with 6mm outputs.. ruined the first attempt but the second one turned out pretty good. Spool is made from some stainless I had laying around... I love this tranny! It's compact, basic and looks tough on the inside. Plus I got this cool aluminum case.

Sorry for the crappy pic..

Here it is with the first chassis. The first one already has a good amount of rock rash..

Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #17
Keep it real

Looks pretty cool, I like the axles, I couldn't see for a minute from the shine Keep up the good work
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #18

Looks awesome, can't wait to see how well it crawls next to mine, I'll snap some better pictures to show off your bling this weekend.

That reminds me I gotta fix that wheel...
gabemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #19

Getting closer.. my driveshafts came in today. I feel like a kid at Xmas.. standing by the door waiting for the mailman so I can keep forging ahead on the build. I literally open the package, get out the stuff and go out into the garage to install them. I think the only thing left is a 48 pitch pinion. If it doesn't come in tomorrow, I may just pick one up locally. Probably need to get a few different tooth counts to dial in a good crawl ratio anyhow.

I was kind of dreading working out the driveshaft issue but it wasn't too bad. Got the big honking Revo shafts and hogged out the inside to make them a single "D" shape to fit my outputs. All outputs are single "D" and the shafts are attached with the pin screw thru a hole drilled in the outputs.. I hate having driveshafts wobble loose and fall off. Pillow block is the same stuff as the skid plate (UHMW plastic) and the little pillow shaft is the same stainless I used for the tranny spool. I machined the shaft so it's smaller in the center. It "snaps" into the pillow block. I'll probably shim between the yokes and the pillow block so there's no chance of the shaft pulling thru to one side...

Love these Revo shafts.. no bind at full droop. Wish my 1:1 buggy could do the same thing with its $500 driveshafts..
Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

dang dude. My axlecase should come in next week, I guess I'll just shoot a butload of video this weekend With that 5997 servo and some newly narrowed rims (this weekend I hope) I should be able to keep up with you and Gabe. Then I'll go buy the mapp gas.

Then after that, I'm gonna start stocking up on cash for four link material, johnny joints, and a lot of DOM tubing for the rear of the CJ (I think you can figure out the plans my dad and I have for this thing).

BTW, Did to get the revo shafts from hobbytown?