Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: My TXT in progress...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2005, 06:43 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Thank you WRM. I posted the method for putting a ball end on the Traxxas shock. After vieing your work I appreciate that I could help you out. Showed the same set up to EeePee Saturday at the Ohio get together.

I have successfully used the same process on stock TXT shocks to use them without the cants.
old_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2005, 03:52 PM   #42
MODERATOR™

I was going to post that I saw Old_dog's set up and that's how he did it.

I just wasn't sure if he was the "first" one to do it. (brain dead, alcohol)

The truck ended up great WRM, really great.

Let us know how it stacks up against your other trucks.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

That looks good WRM.. I really like that shock idea..hmmmmm...
Crawler80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Truck looks very nice my friend! What might be gained by running shocks upside down like that? Some trick I am missing here? I really like those aluminum wheels ya got with the cut K-Rocks, pretty serious looking.
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Thanks all for the replies! I have to say that I like driving this truck most of all, and it is QUITE capable I still have to do some more testing of course, and have new schtuff in the works for it.

Old Dog, thanks for the idea, it works great!

Bill, putting the shock upside down lowers the CG don'tcha know, and that extra 1/2oz. or whatever down lower now allows me to climb right up the walls in my house, all the way to the ceiling! You believe me don't 'ya? I just mounted them like that because I like the looks, and I wanted to see if the shocks would leak. But I'm happy to report that they don't leak a bit.

I'm pretty sure it can't beat the stick, but it will sure give it a run for its money! It's got a VERY low CG (for a shafty), with only the tranny and motor residing in the chassis, and it's soon to be even lower with some lightweight chassis plates in the works

I'll keep everyone updated as it progresses!

Last edited by WRMorrison; 06-11-2005 at 11:20 PM.
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #46

that is a sweet crawler. i wish i could do that to my txt...
dee201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #47
20K Club

If you need a place to dispose of your old chassis plates I may have a spot on my shelf you could use for a while
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Thanks Harley and Dee. The current plates/links/skidplate will be for sale when the new stuff gets here and I can put 'em on.

I had a couple of elec. gremlins lately, but I think I've got 'em figured out. I smoked a brand-spankin' new MM on its first run after about 5 min.! I have no clue why.

Here's the altered setup:

55T lathe motor, GD-600, stock maxx pinion (18T) on the motor, 21T RR pinion on the GD. It works awesome, has just the right combo of wheelspeed and plenty of low speed grunt!

I hope to get some good pics of it on the rocks tomorrow @ the comp.

More to come...........
Old 06-12-2005, 09:03 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Here's some new pics fresh from the rocks. Sadly enough, it's still plagued with some invisible gremlins that are out to ruin my fun. The first day it ran, I smoked a brand new MM in about 5 mins! I checked the axles-not binding. I checked the trans-not binding. I put on someone else's batt packs that I knew were good (because mine have been suspicious lately)-not the problem. It seems to run just fine until it's put under a heavy load (i.e.: tires semi-binded up, and both servos being used) and then the motor stalls and won't go anywhere. Within a short period of time under a load, the motor gets way too hot to even think about touching it! I just don't understand. The only thing I can think of left to examine is the SR. I guess I'll try to swap a new SR in when the LHS gets them back in stock...hope it works. :?
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2005, 09:03 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

And two more I got today...
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Default Try mine

Rich, I have an extra SR w/Dean's you can try out. I have to pick-up my battery from Cody Monday, I'll leave it with Mitch.

When you kill those gremlins, that's going to be one BA shafty!!! Other than the motor thing, it performed flawlessly. I was most impressed by how well it handled the steeper stuff. I still have some rollover issues to deal with on my Jugg and TXT. Also, after seeing how those K-Rocks hooked up I'm a believer.
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the compliments Mike, and SUPER thanks for the SR! I have to go up there anyway, so I'll pick it up and try it out. I'm also going to order a full bearing kit for the axles and tranny just to rule that possible problem out of the equation.

Your TXT is awesome as well. At least you could play all day Now I've just got to find a decent painter to paint my two lexan clod bodies!

Thanks again,
Rich
Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #53
MODERATOR™

I wonder if those super servos draw too much?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

wow, nice truck, i might have to do a quick redesign on mine, and btw it sounds like you need a rx pack. That used to happen on my truck, both servos under load with me giving throttle = not enough power to go anywhere but enough to cause overheating, but the rx pack solved it, no glitching ever, and unless the battery is low it always has enough power.

Last edited by moonbuggy; 06-13-2005 at 07:15 PM.
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #55

i also have had that problem i run a rx pack with 1/4 scale servos but when the the pack wears down the truck starts stalling on me.
fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #56

would it not be better to run a UBEC?
Psyire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

I'm pretty sure the servos aren't drawing too much juice, because I had the same servos, same motor(plus another) on the stick and it wheeled just fine. The SR should be just fine with the current draw I would think. I borrowed a different SR from Mike (AZVader) to try out. He says that his SR is definitely good, so I'll try it out and see how that goes.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:43 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

well since you say it used to be on a clod, maybe it used less power because it would split the power into front and rear and each motor had less of a load powering only 2 wheels, and now one motor has to power all four, I don't know it sounds very peculiar for it to work on one and not the other.
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Still not solved.... I tried a new SR yesterday, problem remains. Now I think the problem is either the gearing, or the lack of bearings in the truck. I ordered up a full set of bearings for the tranny/axles, and I put a hotter motor in (a rev. Kyosho motor, not sure what turn) and I put the GD pinion back to stock (18T) and a 11T in the tranny. Hopefully, by making both of these changes, it solves the problem. If it doesn't, the only thing left is the radio, and I can't see how that could possibly affect anything.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

OK.............

I think I have it solved. I put a different motor in; it's a Kyosho reverse motor, but it's not a MM. I can't really remember what it is or the specs, 'cause I got it from a friend. I put the stock pinion back in the GD, and an 11T pinion in the tranny. PERFECT! Just the right amount of wheelspeed, no stalling and plenty of torque to boot!

Also, I had to ditch the velcro body mounts. It was just too much of a PITA, plus it didn't really work that well. I just drilled the chassis for HPI body mounts. And, I removed the antenna from the body (too much trouble when taking the body off for work and improvements and such). Instead, I used a piece of corrigated(sp?) plastic (one of those annoying advertisement signs that someone stuck in my yard w/o permission ), and just threaded the antenna through it. It works like a champ, and really cleans up the look as well.