Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Ohh!! Ohh!!! Me.... Fifth!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Talking Ohh!! Ohh!!! Me.... Fifth!!!

PROJECT - GREY GIMP

Here is my CC01.... or XC.... or whatever you want to call it. Its a Tamiya pajero. Here are the specs:

Hobbico radio system (free)
Standard tamiya ESC
Venom 50T Crawler motor
HPI 7:1 Gear reducer
Duratrax Evader BX front shocks all around
RC4WD Rock Creepers
Tamiya lighting unit
Dirt cheap 3300Mah NiHm
Proline goodies (roof rack and accesories)

Extra info:

The fenders in these pictures are not smoothed out yet. It is painted, its a matt light grey. It looks really cool in person. I am going to paint details and such, including one of those nifty keychain state lisence plates with your name on them, with the keychain part removed. I am also going to add more goodies to the roof rack as well as turn the antenna into a rear bumper mounted CB radio antenna type dealio, with the spring at the base of it and everything. Okay, now to the pictures!!!!

Used to be........

Now...........

More pictures to come!!!!!! Many action shots! Just fixed some driveline issues never encountered due to heavy gear reduction. Now running great so you shall soon see more Grey Gimp action! Lots of driving pics as well as body off/modification pictures!

Last edited by tom tom; 03-09-2009 at 11:58 PM.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

How do you like those evader shocks? Were they a direct fit, or did they require modification?
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

They fit well dimension wise. I didn't have chop anything to make them fit. They were dirt cheap as well. You have to use different screws, I used 4-40 size screws. The bottom just bolts in with new screws, and I used a piece of thin surgical tubing to compensate for the larger hole in the top of the shock. It didn't work with the original metal stubs. It stiffens the articulation perfectly to what a real car would do. I will post some pictures when I get home.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I also ran into the usual binding A-arm issue. That was pretty easy to solve with a file. With this much of a moderate lift, I also ran into steering linkage clearance issues. I ended up taking a soldering gun and cutting out some slots for the linkages to clear. I really don;t like the rear lower bar setup. Does anyone have suggestions? I want to keep the shock mounts in pretty much the same location.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Got some pictures while im charging the thing. It should cover some of the questions previously asked and will also show some other things I did.

The front suspension with Duratrax shocks.

The back suspension with Duratrax shocks

The modification to the steering links and skid plate.

HPI 7:1 super overkill gear reduction unit

I had to cut the battery wall and rise the radio plate so I could fit the motor and the battery on its side.

Here it is with my first crawler, and my every day runner: my three year old Axial.

I added a CB style antenna on the rear to house my reciever antenna. It bounces like a real antenna. I love it.

Here is my mounting bracket, and all the surgical tubing and spring that really pull off the real deal look. I get better reception now instead of having the antenna bundled up on the inside.

Looking down the new trail antenna.

Still waiting to charge at the moment. Might go run it today. Get some action pics to post up. I will add a video sooner or later.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

How do ya like that rig?I seen one in the new RCDriver mag it has a Blue hummer body on it.I never they could look that good.I have a CR-01 and I thought that was the coolest But now I have seen thes truck and what they could be I might have to invest in one .
Greg
LOSIASSOCIATED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSIASSOCIATED View Post
How do ya like that rig?I seen one in the new RCDriver mag it has a Blue hummer body on it.I never they could look that good.I have a CR-01 and I thought that was the coolest But now I have seen thes truck and what they could be I might have to invest in one .
Greg
Its definately a car for a tinkerer. Its not such a great starter or reliable daily driver. Definately keep your CR-01. Its not the type of car for a 'screw the work I wanna drive it' type of person. I have found it has quite a number of bugs, but all of which are easily fixable if you spend the time on them. My two cents though: if you have the money, its better to just go with one of the highlift trucks, because you get the three speed so its not just stuck with one purpose, and it takes a lot less hacking and gluing. Or go with the Axial SCX10. I went with the CC-01 because it was cheaper mostly, and I also like the hands on cutting and moving and gluing thing. Its really like a static model that can drive itself.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

How do you like the gear reduction unit? I really want to get one of these for my CC-01. Oh and any chance of a video? Thanks.
nodnarb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb81 View Post
How do you like the gear reduction unit? I really want to get one of these for my CC-01. Oh and any chance of a video? Thanks.
It doesn't even drive at the minimum speed of my treadmill lol but if you are already at where you want to be it's pretty great. You have to be really careful about torqing your gears and stuff like that, but it works okay. The rc4wd gear reductions won't work unless you use an extremely short canned motor. The hpi reduction sits the motor higher so you can clear the chassis if you cut the battery tray a bit.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

So I am in the process of smoothing the fender cuts and preping the body for paint. I asked my girlfriend to come up with a paint scheme and this is what she suggested:

Somewhat dark blue base coat with hot pink flames and bright yellow racing stripes coming out of the flames. I think I will keep the seperate bumper parts black, but paint them glossy black instead of matte. I might also rig up some rear lights and move the red lights to the back and add some more white lights up front. I am also thinking of doing a simple skid, but its not really needed. I know I am going to get some interesting comments about the paint idea
Old 03-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Why don't you do a 4 link rear? I have a cc01 and did a 4 link it has nice articulation does well on the trail too. I used some traxxas links from the side of the chassis right under the front of the battery tray and mounted the shocks in front of the axle (using the stock shocks with internal springs) and then a link right under the battery on the left if looking from the back and then another short link to the middle of the chassis. Works real nice.
nytuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

My only complaint is with the lower links. They are flexible and make the rear sag or not fully articulate. I already changed the shocks, and it already has the four link, but I would like to switch out the lower links. I think I would keep the shocks behind the axle though. I have the suspension balanced well the way it already is. I would like to relocate the fronts of the lower links to the sides of the frame rails. Similar to the way they have it set up with the blue hummer rig in the cc01 section. Blue traxxas links would work well, especially with the paint plan.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I just picked up a CC01 from a member here and can't wait till it comes...

I like your stance of the rig, and those tires....can't wait for vid.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
I just picked up a CC01 from a member here and can't wait till it comes...

I like your stance of the rig, and those tires....can't wait for vid.
The vid will come as soon as snow stops randomly appearing on my yard....:-P
Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I heard you got hit pretty hard yesterday, we got hit Sunday.

will sit here and wait for the vid...no worries.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

It's supposed to snow pretty hard tonight as well. My nephews also had a little
Play time with it while I was away, so I got some broken LEDs as well as a shattered roof rack I need to repair...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Looks good man. I just picked one of these up today and am working on making it work properly, much like yours. How do you like those tires? Hopefully a lot? I've been eyeing them for a while and finally have a vehicle that they'll look good on so I ordered a set.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

You will be very satisfied. They are really sticky and look awesome. They have great flex and footing. Also, if you get the CC-01 Jeep, these tires are modeled after a true existing tread pattern. My friends jeep has these tires in real life. They look cool in the big size, they have to look cool in the small size, haha. I just like real looking tread patterns. When they perform well is even better. Thats the only reason I upgraded from the stocks. They are a cool tread, but they suck beans!

Last edited by tom tom; 05-28-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I added some new goodies. I upgraded the standard Tamiya high intensity white LED's which put out 0.011 each watts with some 10mm ultra intensity LED's that put out 0.06 watts each. I have some 1 watt LED's on order from china, they don't sell those here because they will blind you. I doubt I will use those because they have potential of melting the headlight lenses and they would burn out my stock Tamiya LED controller unit. I moved some weight down as well. My nephews did a little destruction a couple weeks ago so there is nothing on the roof rack and the roof rack is all glued together. I am going out for the rest of this week, and I will be in Sand Hallow, located in southern utah. Expect a video or two. For those of you who have watched my AX10 video, you are in for a treat. I will try to show some of the stuff I have done. I will have my Pajero, AX10, and Raptor 660 to play on. They should be very entertaining.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

must see pics and videos! im feaning for them now lol
scalerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote