Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01/XC Hummer H3 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the better pic, looks like a great idea. Glad it works well, will have to keep that one in mind for a light trail truck.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

New wheels installed. New pictures, too.

I think these wheels capture the "stock" look better then the CAC wheels did. Now I have to find something to put the CACs on. Lol.

I've also got the 3Racing LED set that I may start working on tonight. Right now I'm working on getting stance right again. The wheels have 0 offset so they were tucked in quite a bit. On the rears I used some extra-long hexes off of a Slash's front end and that got them about where I wanted them, now for the front.

And then the light kit. Examining the 3Racing light kit, it looks solid, but out of the box one of the LED leads (At the LED end) was unsoldered. I wish this kit would let me use rear blinker on the same bulb as the brake light/tail light. But I may just forgo blinkers for now. Who uses blinkers on the trails?
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #63

Hi Rampage,
noticed your driveshaft. I trying to extend my CC01 unimog to fit a longer body...what should I get to extend it?
Booniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

So, another update!

Got the tail/brake/reverse/blinker LEDs in. I figured that if I simply put 2 LEDs in the same light bucket, it would look like a single bulb with 2 filaments, and I was right. It actually turned out really nice.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=blinkers.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...idemarkers.mp4

Short videos.

I also got the reverse lights in, but the LEDs that came with the 3Racing kit were really, really cheap and I already broke one of the LEDs, so I've got to get a couple more. They were insanely bright, so I'll look for something a bit dimmer.

I also did some work on the chassis. Redid the rear suspension a bit and waterproofed the RX. Cable management in this thing is a nightmare.

The project nears completion. A set of Scale Docs, some sliders and a little tweaking here and there and I'll be able to call this one finished.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

It rained pretty good today, and out in the desert, when it rains, the dirt gets hard enough to get some wheelin' in, so that's exactly what I did.

Over the loose gravel pile..

Up a water runoff..

And some video. It is excessively hard to record video while trying to drive with a TQ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_HncVCEyMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRdNQ7NG08

I've got the need...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsjPq8t4v9c

I found this towards the end of the run (The camera's battery life)..A neat water drainoff with tons of rocks and stuff. It was insanely fun to run that ditch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N45xKG2QxXM
Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Little bit of an update. No, this one's not dead! Just..drastically slowed down.

I pulled the bush guard off for some rebuilding. Got tired of the plastic "bars" breaking off so I'll attempt to rebuild them out of something else. I'll hit the hardware store tomorrow and see what they've got.

Still doesn't look half-bad if I may say so..

Made some inner fenders for the rear. Got tired of that "gapped open" look over the rear wheel wells. I'm pretty happy with the way they came out.

And a few pictures from a short run this afternoon.

Ground is eatin' mah truck!

And the run ended with a bang. In true GM fashion.

I pulled the light kit out to completely re-evaluate how I had it installed. It was a mess. So that's something else to do. Still waiting for a set of 1.55 wheels that just scream "MUST HAVE" at me, even tho the 3.28 MT's do that already. May just get the stamped steelies in black. They look good.

More to come!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Default video

do you have any video of it running?
ray2286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

Default Re: CC01/XC Hummer H3 build

This rig looks really good!, the ride height, tires, everything looks really scale. Nice job, certainly one of the more scale CC01's I've seen
CHEVOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

10 years later we revisit this rig. After my XJ build I was going to start something new. Then I got some MST 3.5" tires in that I ordered just to have and slapped them on this one and got to thinking..

"Hey, that looks pretty good..."

And we're off. I pulled a lot of parts off of this one over the years. Let's see what can make t back onto the rig.

I have some new wheels coming. They're pretty close to the OEM solid-spoke wheels that came on some H3s. So I think those will look pretty good. I like the wheels that're on it but they're not beadlocks and I don't want to glue these new tires to them.

Probably won't go too far down the rabbit hole with this one. Definitely not as far as I did with the XJ but it'll be fun to finally have some closure on this project.

Last edited by rampage; 05-15-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #70

Wow, I was reading your posts above thinking that they were just recent, only turned out to be 8 years old! Very nice job on making such a realistic looking body and great colour.
barnettgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #71
j0e
Rock Crawler

I love that you're back to this one and bumped up the OG thread!
This has always been one of my favorites.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:41 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

And here we are again, almost 4 years later!

Having discovered the magic o 3D printing, I finally got a wheel/tire combination I like. It only took 15 years.

These are H2 wheels, and I really like them, but the guy that made these said he'd whip up some proper H3 wheels so these may be getting replaced here soon. They were designed as 1.9s but I reduced them to 89.5% and printed them as 1.7s with RC4WD Padigonias.

I finally have the look I've been going for since I started this build. I'm finally happy.

Without the center cap.

Here's the original STL.

Last edited by rampage; 01-07-2024 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:12 AM   #73
j0e
Rock Crawler

Wow! Those look great on there
Good job.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote