Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01 Grand Cherokee WK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default CC01 Grand Cherokee WK

Okay I have been talking about it for months, now a build log to prove my CC01 Cherokee is not in the same realm as Bigfoot or Yeti. I bought my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK in 2008. This is my first Non-Universal Jeep after owning CJ's and a TJ. Overall I like it, I have taken it off road and yet it still rides better than a Grand Caravan. So Jessica, as she has been named is gonna have a baby.

Here is the pic of the full size "Jess" Sorry the pic sux, I haven't uploaded many pics to photo bucket yet.

Now onto the build. I found this Fastlane RC WK at Toys R Us and I was amazed at the detail. It's even the right year! Although it could be debated it's an 06 cause of the side trim, '05's trim is slightly thicker. Since the full size WK is IFS, I figured the CC01 would be perfect. Well I was lucky.
JKJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

The front valence is off while I make a captured attachment for the body. The rear of the body screws on. The rims are HPI and almost match the full scale rims perfectly.

The to do list is not to bad. I ordered a rear shock mount of e-Bay last week that will allow me to use actual links and not the Tamiya type. Next, I'm using shocks from a Duratrax Mini Quake with pen springs internal to simulate the scale shocks, A GPM steering kit will be ordered and some resized 1.9's will be mounted, lights too and cut in the sunroof. When I'm done I mainly want to have scale version of my everyday drive. I figure it will look good pulling a trailer with my 1.9 Wrangler YJ I plan to build.

So I'm commited, I've posted we all know what that means
Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Body looks a bit on the small side!

You know what? 1.55" Ground Cruiser wheels and Dirt Grabbers would probably look great on there.

The 1.55" Dirt Grabbers are supposed to be 3.0" when they're released, so they're nice and small and should look great.
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Yeah the body is not 1/10, maybe 1/12 but thats ok.

Installed some brackets I made from the suspension parts out of a Tamiya F-350. Once cut, I lined them up to match the front posts on the frame. I installed rare earth magnets to hook up to the metal posts on the frame.

Here are the front posts, set about 1 mm high so they will sit in the small pocket in the brackets. With this set up I get a nice solid fit with little side to side motion.

Here is how the rear attaches. I use two screws up through the holes that was originally for the rear body posts.

Got this in the mail Saturday! I highly recommend these.

Here is the first side mounted. I like the way you can use one of four holes for the shocks. I'll also mount the lower link to the side of the frame for better clearence like most of you do with the CC01.

Now that the body is mounted, I'll see about getting some Chrysler Bright Silver Metallic. I'll first cut the sunroof in the top to match mine, then make a sunroof rails and "glass" out of Lexan sprayed with Tamiya Smoke. I'll install the sunroof after the body is painted. Lots of prep on this body, so I'll be spending a lot of time sanding, priming, sanding, cleaning etc. More updates soon. I have the full build up at www.rcjeeps.com It's a bit more detailed over there if your interested.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I think it needs some 1.55 wheels. "thumbusp" Looking good though. Any plans for bumpers though?
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Looks good so far. I have that same body, just waiting to decide what i wanna do with it. I'll be checking back to this build for some motivation to gat mine going.
NHcrawlinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
I think it needs some 1.55 wheels. "thumbusp" Looking good though. Any plans for bumpers though?
Bumpers will be stock since my 1:1 will only have a mild 2.25" lift and I can't afford the super trick ARB bumper for the WK. This will be like the fullscale WK, with a trailer and trail rig Wrangler behind it.

Jim
Old 12-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcrawlinXJ View Post
Looks good so far. I have that same body, just waiting to decide what i wanna do with it. I'll be checking back to this build for some motivation to gat mine going.
You should! New Ipswich eh? I'm from Boscawen NH, familair with that small town? I sure do miss the trails in New Hampshire:-(

I'm looking at putting some Tamiya Mini Cooper wheels on this and cutting down some tires for it, we'll see.

Jim
Old 12-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Where did you buy the RC plus rear shock mount kit? Thanks

***EDIT***

I did notice in my orginal post that there was a web site for RC-Plus but it was all in Thai. I finnaly figured out how to translate the page and just bought a set of the shock mounts.

Does this also come with the links and rod ends? What a deal if they do!

this is how the the site was translateing the description of what was included:

"The set consists of. อลูมิเนียมยึดโช้คอัพหลัง 1 คู่ และ step screw อีก 2 ตัว Aluminum taken up after 1 lucky pair and step screw the other 2."

I love the Lucky pair part lol.

Last edited by grimgard; 12-18-2009 at 11:31 AM.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Where did you buy the RC plus rear shock mount kit? Thanks

***EDIT***

I did notice in my orginal post that there was a web site for RC-Plus but it was all in Thai. I finnaly figured out how to translate the page and just bought a set of the shock mounts.

Does this also come with the links and rod ends? What a deal if they do!
his definitely looks like it does. i bought the same kit and mine came with just the mounts
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
his definitely looks like it does. i bought the same kit and mine came with just the mounts
Yea I noticed that too. The one I bought from RC-plus.net in thailand has a picture of just the mounts. It would be nice to know where he got his and if its the same set.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I found them on e-Bay after another member told me about them. My set included both the mounts and the links and screws. I highly recommend these for the price of $18.99.

Jim
Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Mate I'm watching this build.

I'm all for turning a 'soccer mom' ride into a real truck.

I @#$ing hate soccer-mom-mobiles.
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJim View Post
I found them on e-Bay after another member told me about them. My set included both the mounts and the links and screws. I highly recommend these for the price of $18.99.

Jim
Was the E-bay seller thai-town? because that is the only one I can find and he no longer sells them.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Was the E-bay seller thai-town? because that is the only one I can find and he no longer sells them.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I fought my way through the RC Plus website with a translator and got three pairs of mounts ordered. With the conversion rate they came out to under $10 a pair. Also, you can pay with PayPal so hopefully that's something to fall back on if the transaction goes to crap.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerBrad View Post
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I fought my way through the RC Plus website with a translator and got three pairs of mounts ordered. With the conversion rate they came out to under $10 a pair. Also, you can pay with PayPal so hopefully that's something to fall back on if the transaction goes to crap.
Yea I just tried the same thing and got an refun to my pay-pal account. They are out of stock and do not know when they will have more.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, just checked my email and had a refund. It said he'll let me know when they're available so maybe they're making more (hopefully).
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
Gold Star Baby Momma!

Non universal jeep?
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy View Post
Non universal jeep?
Not sure what you mean?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #20
Gold Star Baby Momma!

He says in the original post that this was his first "non-universal jeep" I don't know what that means, just asking what he meant.
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote