Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: New 'Jero owner + my current crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New 'Jero owner + my current crawler

Hey guys, so I'm new to the world of crawling but not to the world of RC. I just bought a Tamiya Pajero and it's my 6th RC car. (Started with a Nitro RS4, then an E-Savage, TT-01, DF-01 and Traxxas Slash).

I didn't really fancy myself getting involved in the crawler side of RC but I love the scale trucks, they are amazing. I've spent most of the day looking through the various thread and gees, there's some nice looking trucks on there. I have a million ideas for mine now, once it arrives!

So anyway, my current crawler is a bit rudimentary. It's a Tamiya DF-01 Porsche Cayeene Transsyberia. It started as a normal off-roader, I then converted it to on-road, now its a crawler (sort of). The main reason I bought it was because of its scale realism.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and send out an early apology for all the annoying noob questions I'm going to be asking haha.

Here's some pics of my DF-01.

Cheers!

Andyjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I have always like anything that can off road/rally. You will like your CC-01 and their scale realization is the best you can do some easy mods to make them crawl better.

GPM has some great hop ups and there steering kit is a must have. I would also get the Bearing set from TCS.

RC4WD has some amazing 1.55 & 1.9 scale steel beadlock rims and tires that will give your truck that added edge and scale look.

Post up some pictures when your done.

Here is my CC-01 Jeep

grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Hey, thaks heaps for the info, just had a little look on RC4wd. Are those prices for the 1.9 wheels for real?!?!?! Over $100? There are a pair there called the "Landies Classic 1.9 white scale wheel" for $109.99. They look exactly the same as the ones I have on my DF-01 (pictured above). I got all four of those with the tyres for AU$55 from my LHS.

I think I'll definately get the bearings though, they are must have.

And I read somewhere on here about adding spacers above the suspension to give it a bit more ride height so I think I'll give that a go.

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

Cheers
Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yeah, those prices are for real. You get aluminum wheels though. The price is worth what you get if you are looking for metal wheels. Use the plastic landys if you don't want to spend that much. Most of the time you can do without the high priced stuff.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Haha yeah I'll go without them I think. I'm only paying US$167 for the truck delivered, so I can't justify spending that much for just wheels haha.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So, my Pjero arrived and I started workng on it. I guess this will now be my build thread. So, I've decided to paint the body Tamiya racing green. It didn't realy turn out how I had expected, but we'll see once it dries.

I did the C-knuckle mod to get the extra height and I'v ordered a few parts also.
-Traxxas 3 Ch receiver
-HPI SX-1 servo
-TLT body mounts for the body lift
-Bearings
-Roof-rack and lights

I've still got to cut that front 'brick wall' thing off too. I don't want to remove much though, as I'll still be using the front body mount.

I think I'm going to go with the Integy Lathe 45T motor with the stock ESC for a while until I can get a Castle Creations Sidewinder.

I'll be buying some aluminium and traxxas rod ends so that I can make my own 4-links. For the rods, I was intending on going to the hardware shop and buying some threaded rod but I don't think that they'll look very appealing. What can I use to make them look more like this:

Or like these red rods:

Basically, I'd like some smooth rods, not threaded ones. I'm guessing that they have come from an existing RC car, but I'm unsure of which. Ay help would be great!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The top pic is using Axial links from the AX-10, not sure what size they are. The bottom pic looks like Traxxas links from the Revo maybe. Contact the user that posted the pic and ask question, they should not mind.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
The top pic is using Axial links from the AX-10, not sure what size they are. The bottom pic looks like Traxxas links from the Revo maybe. Contact the user that posted the pic and ask question, they should not mind.
Yeah I'm going to go with the red ones. I found outthat they are Traxxas Push Rods, part # 5319X.

I got the body painted last night, still need to do another coat. Not sure if I lke the colour though.....

Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default 4-Link

So I decided to tackle the 4-links. I ended up using the Traxxas Puch rod (part #5318X), they are 10mm shorter than the 5319X.

I'm pretty proud of it. Looks a million times better! Let me kno what you think.

So I custom mde some aluminium brackets for the mounting.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Lookin really good mate. This your first time?
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkz0r View Post
Lookin really good mate. This your first time?
Yeah its my first time with a 'Jero, or any crawler/scaler for that matter. Just read heaps of the stuff on this forum and got some ideas.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Rear mods look good, alot like mine.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyjk View Post
Yeah I'm going to go with the red ones. I found outthat they are Traxxas Push Rods, part # 5319X.

I got the body painted last night, still need to do another coat. Not sure if I lke the colour though.....

nothing wrong with the colour, it looks great and will probably be a slightly darker shade by the time a few more coats have gone on
bigoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

More progress

Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

lookin good
phoenixtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default Finished!

Some more prgress for you all! Got the body done and I must say, I'm pretty damn proud of it! Here are some pics. I'm going to take it outsde for its first drive and to get some pics.

The bearings arrived so I put them in also.

The next thing on the list is to cut the "wall" off the front and raise the body a bit to make space for te new wheels and tyres. Then the new motor and ESC. Then some scale accessories....gees....I've got a lot on my plate haha

Let me know what you think!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Just took it out for a drive. I love this thing!

I've noticed a little problem though. When I give it full throttle, the front right wheel lifts off the ground, making the car veer right. It reminds me of a drag car haha. I suppose its not a massive problem, as I'll be driving relatively slow with it.

Anyway, here are some nice pics!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Looks really good! Cant wait to see more!
landrover4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Paint turned out great, the outside pics real make it shine. Not sure what to say about your tire lift issue, never experienced that myself.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Thank you for those pics of the rear 4-link. I now want to tackle this aswell, just wasn't sure how to do the rear shock mount. But those plates look easy enough to make!

Cheers!

-Tom

PS: Awesome truck!
The Loyale is offline   Reply With Quote