Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Trying to figure out which scale rig to get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trying to figure out which scale rig to get

I was asked to move my thread to this forum and the SCX10 one. So here goes:

I don't yet own a crawler but I'd like to. I'm just trying to get all the info I can.

I'm a sucker for things that look scale, and even more so, things that are aesthetically pleasing, since, professionally i am a sculptor. I've been poking around a lot on here as well as these forums:

www.rcgroups.com
http://www.scale4x4rc.org
http://www.tamiyacrawlers.com/forum/
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Scale_Tra...ners/index.php

As well as asking around on youtube comment threads for videos of interesting-looking rigs.

Among other things, what I've found is some obvious stuff, like the SCX10 handles things better, even right out of the box, but the CC01 will look more scale no matter what body you put on it (IMHO).

I've also done some research on bodies - I'd prefer a hard shell rather than a lexan thing if I can.

A friend of mine on RCgroups got his SCX10 TR almost 2 months ago and its only required minor repairs thus far; he's been running it stock and is very impressed. It still doesn't look all that scale-ish though, though I have seen one shining example of a cosmetic upgrade to the TR here:
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42088

I've seen videos where a whole bunch of rigs are tooling around, and in those i've seen CC01's handle things that SCX10's couldn't and vice versa. If theres a body solution that would look good on an SCX10, I'd probably go with that but if not, I'll have to settle for the Tamiya (or is it such a bad thing really?)

I don't plan to do any jumps or fast driving and will probably put a GRU and a high-turn motor in whatever I get. I'd like a rig that I could "take for walks" as it were, which is what rock crawler driving appears to be from where I stand anyhow. And noooooo jumps, now or ever.

One last concern is durability and maintenance. I dig boats because they can be low maintenance: my PT boat has no GRU: its got a pair of motors, each hooked up directly to their respective prop shafts by U-joints. All I have to do is take the shafts out and re-oil them once in a while. I was told on RCgroups that scale trail runners are low-maintenance. Thats true, yes?

What do you guys advise for this n00b? Thanks for your patience and help.
spacephrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier but the CC-01 seems to be a perfect fit for what you want. It's a great little truck and if you can find one of the older Jeep Wrangler kits you will get the hard top your looking for.

The only set back is you will have to replace the stock tires. I used RC4WD oem white 1.9 beadlocks with there Dirt Grabber tires and they work great!

I would also advise on replacing the stock motor and ESC. I used a Novak Rooster Crawler ESC, and a 55T Novak Brushed 540 motor and I couldn't be happier.

If you need any advice feel free to ask
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I love the CC01 chassis!!
GPM steering kit and your be able to do some scale trail driving /crawling.

I had my cc01 since the pajero RTR was available. The one with the lexan pajero body. I would say I had it for 6 or so years now and still going strong!

The car gets beat to hell and its still holding up.
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You have a tough decision to make. I have a CC-01 Wrangler that is my favorite rig at the moment. It can go most places that my TLT based scaler can go and it looks way better in my opinion. The tough part is how much work do you want to do. The CC-01 will give you a good looking scaler out of the box, with a few minor upgrades such as tires and a few cheap to free mods to the suspension you will have a good trail truck that is very capable on the rocks.

On the other hand...........the SCX-10 is a great base to start a scale build off of. If you do some searching on this forum and Scale4x4 you will find lots of hard body (Tamiya based) builds on this chassis. I have seen Jeeps, Yotas, and the like since the SCX-10 has been released. I think, not sure, that the Hilux fits the stock SCX-10 chassis with very few mods. I am in the process of doing a Hilux build based off of this chassis but I started with an AX-10 so I think the links are longer thus making more work for myself.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I guess you could call me a noob when it comes to crawling/scaler. I bought my wrangler first and absolutely love it, with a few mods it does everything I need it to do such as the trails around my property and some small rocks. However when I saw the Honcho I couldnt resisit I had to own one, for I do its a little over kill but it looks so sweet. If the Honcho never came out I would have just stayed with my Wrangler, hope some of that helps!
Adamsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the input guys!

The only thing that is starting to turn me off about the CC01 is that it makes a plastic rattling sound when its driving over any kind of rough terrain, or so youtube videos seem to indicate. One guy told me that if i put in a higher turn motor that makes the rig slower, this wouldn't be an issue.

What if one were to lift the suspension on a CC01 just a bit? Would that help the noise?

Meanwhile, the stock SCX10 look appears to be a bit tall for my taste. I saw a thread where someone lowered the shocks:simple SCX10 hilux build...

It looks way more scale now, though its less capable. So it got me wondering; if it possible to lower the shocks, is it possible to shorten the wb so it can accommodate some of the bodies that a CC01 can?

If there is any good way to fix the noise problem for the CC01, I might just go that way because the Fastlane Hummer HX body looks so good on it. I've rarely seen a body look bad on a CC01.

How would i lift CC01 suspension? Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Depending on what your building skills are you could go to RPP hobby pick up an Outback series Wrangler chassis slap on a Tamiya Wrangler body and go to town...here is a link to one on this forum The CC/RPP Outback YJ
Adamsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsdad View Post
Depending on what your building skills are you could go to RPP hobby pick up an Outback series Wrangler chassis slap on a Tamiya Wrangler body and go to town...here is a link to one on this forum The CC/RPP Outback YJ
That may actually be out of my league at this time. Thanks though.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Your worried about plastic body sounds ? welcome to the scale world, I would rather that sound then noise lexan makes anyday. Besides most ESCs drown out any other noise you are going to hear ! My SCX is noisy gear wise it whines like anything and there is no need to lower them they handle very well out of the box, every scx10 and ax10 I have seen here in NZ is noisy thats RC for you, compared to a nitro they are dead silent.
If you brought and built the CC-01 and tried it but still didnt like it I am positive that someone from here would snap it up if you were to sell it. I have 8 running CC01s and 2 that are still unbuilt and I a scx10, ax10 hustler and a CR-01 and will still grab the CC01 over all of them for fun and enjoyment. They are far more challenging on trail courses which makes it even more fun then just being able to drive over everything, they make you think about wheel placement and the likes and if you want to bash them about they can do that too.

Basic needs for a CC01 .....

Decent set of tyres
Rear lower links changed ( not nessacary)
Brick wall cut off ( again not nessacary but will help with approach angle)
Steering upgrade from GPM along with a decent servo
A spacer under each shock to raise it a bit
And if you want a body lift which is easy peasy to do.

If you want to go full out rockcrawling then the CC01 isnt really what you want although you will be very surprised where these trucks will go
SMUDGEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Heres some examples of my CC01s

Pajero basher, still a work in progress but follows a ax10 tuber where ever it goes

Bog stock CC01 Honda CRV

Flexing

Isuzu Mu (Amigo for you americans )

My SCX10 standard height with hilux cab fitted

And its matching trailer

Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg View Post
Thanks for the input guys!

The only thing that is starting to turn me off about the CC01 is that it makes a plastic rattling sound when its driving over any kind of rough terrain, or so youtube videos seem to indicate. One guy told me that if i put in a higher turn motor that makes the rig slower, this wouldn't be an issue.

What if one were to lift the suspension on a CC01 just a bit? Would that help the noise?

Meanwhile, the stock SCX10 look appears to be a bit tall for my taste. I saw a thread where someone lowered the shocks:simple SCX10 hilux build...

It looks way more scale now, though its less capable. So it got me wondering; if it possible to lower the shocks, is it possible to shorten the wb so it can accommodate some of the bodies that a CC01 can?

If there is any good way to fix the noise problem for the CC01, I might just go that way because the Fastlane Hummer HX body looks so good on it. I've rarely seen a body look bad on a CC01.

How would i lift CC01 suspension? Thanks again!
No idea what noise sound your reffering to but all Rc's make some kind of noise. Are you talking about the noise from the gears? Either way all RC's make noise if you want a quiet RC them maybe gliders is better for you?

Anyways a CC-01 with a 55T motor is plenty fast for me as well as having plenty of torque. Maybe a Slash or other off road basher would be better as well?

Anyways the CC-01 is popular for a reason and I understand it might not be everyones cup of tea. I hope you find a RC that fits what your looking for.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Smudgebug, I want more pics of that CRV, looks sweet.

Spacephrawg, not sure what noise you are refering to, as said before, all RC's make some kind of noise. My CC-01 is not any noiseier than any other rig I have ever owned. Crawler or other wise.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

an example of the noise can be heard at various times during this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2bAF...5A8B7&index=37
Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I wondering if your hearing the tire rub on the video. All R/Cs will have tire rub if your suspension or body is not set in right spot. All my R/Cs from scalers to racers all have tire rub on them.
highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I caught a rattle in the video and it did not sound like tire rub. It sounded to me like loose plastic rattling. One thing to keep in mind about alot of these trucks is all the custom work done on them such as body mounts etc. If something is not attached correctly or the builder is not done yet things will not be perfect. At about 4:29 in the vid you can see in through the right side window and the battery conection looks like it is touching the body. This would cause a rattle like plastic on plastic, anything that hits the inside of the body will make some noise. Rocks thrown up by the tires will make the same kind of noise.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Ok I watched that whole video and the only thing I could hear was the ESC that bloody annoying music and the wind blowing against the mic on the camera ??

Im not really sure what you are after bro, but we are trying to help. All RC cars (as already said) will make weird noises no matter what you do to them.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Ok watch this video, pick a time on here where you here the sound you are talking about, im just trying to understand bro thats all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70T0-CZJeE0
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUDGEBUG View Post
Ok watch this video, pick a time on here where you here the sound you are talking about, im just trying to understand bro thats all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70T0-CZJeE0

Seen that wonderful vid before: according to Pantablo, those aren't CC01's. The Range Rover is custom and the Hilux is a not-so-high-lift.

Perhaps what I should do with my hypothetical CC01 is put in thin foam padding around anythying that would knock against anything else, yes?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Does not matter if its a CC01 or not they all make the same sounds, you could try thin padding but I dont think it will make any difference at all really, but hey theres a first for everything lol.

When you are with a bunch of like minded people the last thing you will hear is plastic knocking or rubbing, bout the only sound you will hear is laughter.

You gotta remember at the end of the day they are still just a toy and will never sound like the real thing, unless you spend some more coin on a Tamiya MFC whatcha ma call it engine vibration unit.

My SCX is the most loudest rig I own (apart from my Baja B5) but I live with it because its fun to drive.

Last edited by SMUDGEBUG; 03-12-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

That is correct, they aren't cc-01's but I think Smudge's point is that even these each have different sounds but all sound like toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg View Post
Perhaps what I should do with my hypothetical CC01 is put in thin foam padding around anythying that would knock against anything else, yes?
What you should do is pick one, scx or cc01, that meets your needs (scale vs performance, etc). They're all going to be quirky and have their little issues. You'll be having so much fun you'll forget all about it...unless you are so compulsive you *have* to have it sound like a 1:1. If that's the case you will never be happy with these.
I think you'll enjoy either of them.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bodies, cc01, n00b, scale, scx10