Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Why do you prefer the CC01?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Why do you prefer the CC01?

Why do you guys like the CC01 as opposed to any other rig? I'm trying to decide which to get: the SCX10 or the CC01. It seems scale bodies always look better on the CC01 but the SCX10 handles some terrain better.
spacephrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If I want something fun to drive that makes me smile, I'll run the CC-01. If I want something that will go everywhere, I'll drive my 1.9 Axial axle'd rig.

Being in the scale/crawler hobby... you HAVE to have more than one rig. I highly recommend 2-5 rigs to stay happy!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

After seeing the following video I think I'm sold on the CC01. I'll get me an SCX10 later when i have the money:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSj_t...ayer_embedded#

I think this video has made this thread redundant for me. The owner of that truck describes his rig as follows:

"Camel Trophy liveried Discovery on XC chassis, no oil in dampers and lead weight in roof." No oil in the shocks! Who'd've thunk it?

Its the most realistic movement I've ever seen in an RC scaler.

Sorry to waste your time guys! I've settled the issue for myself!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i agree with toyo... you gotta have a few rigs, most of them have to be unfinished projects.

here are the vids that made me pick a CC-01 chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccdyn9pIfAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X00VIsVoZL4

crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
If I want something fun to drive that makes me smile, I'll run the CC-01. If I want something that will go everywhere, I'll drive my 1.9 Axial axle'd rig.
Couldn't agree more. I enjoy running my 1.9 Axial scaler, but for some reason, my CC-01 brings the most enjoyment. Maybe it's because it goes places that I never thought it was capable of going....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Being in the scale/crawler hobby... you HAVE to have more than one rig. I highly recommend 2-5 rigs to stay happy!
I keep telling my wife the same thing.... I need more rigs But she thinks the 6 that I have now is enough
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
I keep telling my wife the same thing.... I need more rigs But she thinks the 6 that I have now is enough
I have recently downgraded to only 6 3/4 rigs... The 3/4's is for the one under construction. I'm looking at picking up either another CC-01 or a TA01/02 based rig.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

yep, to put a smile on my face I run the CC01..still under construction..but fun non the less...andy also agree with multiple rigs...one comp, one scale, one CC01, one slash, and one onroad converted to a rally racer......
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
I'm a stupid C U N T!

multiple scalers all the way! I have my cc01 thats going to be going back to a Pajero, the Wrangler body is getting a 10" Ute and MRC axles, the extended cab Honcho, and the Ute JK. thats all I got......... for now
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Why does the CC01 put a smile on your faces? The video I posted thrills me in a way that no SCX10 can because its like a wee little version of the real SUV, but I gather there are other reasons why the CC01 has appeal. What are they?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg View Post
Why does the CC01 put a smile on your faces? The video I posted thrills me in a way that no SCX10 can because its like a wee little version of the real SUV, but I gather there are other reasons why the CC01 has appeal. What are they?
hi im just a newbie like you and im still working on my cc01. you can say that in a cc01 kit you definitely use your imagination on how to make your kit a scale one i think that's one factor that this kit has more appeal than any other.
sid15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
I'm a stupid C U N T!

they're just plain fun, I can't say that this reason or that makes me like it over another trucks, I guess its like having kids, you love them all, and they all have their own personality's. The CC01 is fun to tool around with and push its limits to see just what it can do. And it surprises me every time.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
To me they provide the greatest challenge. I run mine with a bunch of scx-10s doing trail runs and some more challenging stuff. It wont do everything the scx10s can do but it can definitely hang with them just fine. Makes you more aware where you're putting your tires so you dont high center.

Here is a video of my green LR3 cc-01. Its stock except for a 55t motor, 4:1 reduction and better tires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvERTv2VvQ
Particularly check out 1:38 onward. The cc-01 has a super low CoG which makes it superior in some circumstances (like in video), including sidehilling. My cc-01 was the only rig to make that section.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
To me they provide the greatest challenge. I run mine with a bunch of scx-10s doing trail runs and some more challenging stuff. It wont do everything the scx10s can do but it can definitely hang with them just fine. Makes you more aware where you're putting your tires so you dont high center.

Here is a video of my green LR3 cc-01. Its stock except for a 55t motor, 4:1 reduction and better tires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvERTv2VvQ
Particularly check out 1:38 onward. The cc-01 has a super low CoG which makes it superior in some circumstances (like in video), including sidehilling. My cc-01 was the only rig to make that section.
I love it. I wish I could still get one in green. I've found a few on walmart's website in silver, and another company makes the SUV without any add-ons in blue and another in silver. I'm kind of eyeing the blue.
Your point about the low CoG is a good one.

Did you need to do any mods to the wheelbase to accommodate the Newbright body? What about any other part of the chassis? Also what brand of GRU, and motor did you use? Also, did you use the stock ESC?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Why do you guys like the CC01 as opposed to any other rig? I'm trying to decide which to get: the SCX10 or the CC01. It seems scale bodies always look better on the CC01 but the SCX10 handles some terrain better.
Most people get the CC-01 because they are looking for Scale looks and performence. You have to keep in mind with the CC-01 it's not going to able to crawl like a SCX-10 but it will do just fine as long as you keep your 4x4'ing scale to the truck.

Out of the box the CC-01 does good but it will need some modding to perform better out on the rock.

I drive mine mainly on the trails and smaller rock out cropings and I am happy with it. If your looking for a truck that can perform like this then you should be happy.

Here is a recent video of my CC-01
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I like the cc-01 because it can do wheelies with the supplied 27t motor And wheelies are fun.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
they're just plain fun, I can't say that this reason or that makes me like it over another trucks, I guess its like having kids, you love them all, and they all have their own personality's. The CC01 is fun to tool around with and push its limits to see just what it can do. And it surprises me every time.
Your CC-01 YJ did pretty damn good down in Utah
Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #17
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Your CC-01 YJ did pretty damn good down in Utah
Yup it hung for a long time. until the winch took a crap and the gears started to slip:? All thats fixed now and I changed ESC's for improved Drag braking But seriously its all in the tires
Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Most people get the CC-01 because they are looking for Scale looks and performence. You have to keep in mind with the CC-01 it's not going to able to crawl like a SCX-10 but it will do just fine as long as you keep your 4x4'ing scale to the truck.

Out of the box the CC-01 does good but it will need some modding to perform better out on the rock.

I drive mine mainly on the trails and smaller rock out cropings and I am happy with it. If your looking for a truck that can perform like this then you should be happy.

Here is a recent video of my CC-01
Awesome video...I love it! It's hard to explain the attraction of the Tamiya CC01. Best way I can put it is, "it's like a static model that really works"...lol...

When I'm in the mood to just sit in my shop and have coffee, I take the CC01 off the shelf and try to figure something new to do to it. I have probably 20 other RC vehicles, not counting planes and heli's, and I always reach for the CC01.

Jim
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I just love the scale look of it. Great for trails my chassis has lasted me about 6 years now.
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
But seriously its all in the tires
What tires? The custom WD40'd tires?

Tags
cc01, preference, scx10