Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Why do you prefer the CC01?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

I have 9 of these rigs (CC-01s) and all have there own little character about them and trust me no 2 are alike. The hard bodies appealed to me alot, the fact that Tamiya never designed them to do what we are doing with them and they go so well.
I love these little rigs simply because they are fun, bring a smile to your face everytime you use them, I always have one in my car just incase im having a bad day.

I have a scx10, and ax10 hustler, a axial based 6x6 and a CR-01 all kool rigs but not as much fun.

Oh and the fact you can mod these for no extra cost is most important.

Buy one you wont regret it
SMUDGEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUDGEBUG View Post

Oh and the fact you can mod these for no extra cost is most important.

This is the other reason why I'm drawn to my CC-01 rig.

Being used in a way that they were never intended makes me feel like it's 2003 again and having to BUILD everything I needed for a crawler. There are only a limited number of companies or small business making "crawler" hop-ups for the CC-01 based chassis. This, I like. Makes every CC-01 being used different from one another..... unlike the SCX based rigs where 99% of them are the same, other than the body.

CC-01's = FUN............ but you need to still own a more capable rig so you don't get bored.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Being used in a way that they were never intended makes me feel like it's 2003 again
your going to scare people off with speech like that
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg View Post
I love it. I wish I could still get one in green. I've found a few on walmart's website in silver, and another company makes the SUV without any add-ons in blue and another in silver. I'm kind of eyeing the blue.
Your point about the low CoG is a good one.

Did you need to do any mods to the wheelbase to accommodate the Newbright body? What about any other part of the chassis? Also what brand of GRU, and motor did you use? Also, did you use the stock ESC?
Still get the LR3 you mean? Yeah, they're discontinued but come up sometimes in for sale forum. They don't come in green though, you know that right? I painted mine. The silver one may be a 1:6 scale one so make sure the ones that come up are 1:10 if you are buying. there is another company that makes the LR3 body but not the off road version. It has a full interior, opening doors/hood/tailgate and is slightly bigger than the one I have, that one having a wb of about 11.25".

To get my LR3 body to fit, at 10.5" wb, I simply moved the axle back to the longer wheelbase setting on the stock chassis (where it would be for the touareg). I had to get a longer driveshaft though. I used traxxas half shafts but once you factor in the $20 for metal yokes I could have easily gotten the metal touareg stock driveshaft for $20 on ebay.

Only other mods to the chassis were to accommodate the gru. This LR3 has a RC4WD 4:1 gru. Another one I have uses the HPI wheely king crawler gru. I would recommend the RC4WD one hands down. Goes in front of the motor so it pushes the motor into the battery compartment. Thats where you have to mod it to get the motor to fit. slight bit of cutting is all it takes.
this is a different cc-01 I had but you can see how the motor is pushed back a bit and I turned the battery 90* in the same spot. this is a RC4WD gru shown here too.

Any motor is fine. I use 55t or 65t in these with the gru. One has a Novak Fifty-Five, others have used a standard integy 55t. The sequoia sas cc-01 I'm doing uses the HPI gru on the stock silver can (27t) motor and its pretty slow enough.

One has the stock esc. I think the LR3 does too. The one pictured had an old Futaba that was probably 20 years old (still used a replacable 30A fuse, lol). I've used several types of esc from sidewinder micros, traxxas xl-5, stock tamiya, etc. They respond in this rig like they would in any other. The xl-5 and stock one have a slight reverse delay which can be annoying. The sidewinders are a great esc and worth the money.

They are a blast to drive.
p-
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Funny about the no oil in dampers, I was just thinking about doing the same thing, I figured it would give a more realistic vehicle bounce now that my chassis is pretty heavy. I wonder if he also removed the o-rings to reduce friction against the shock shaft? Or possibly just lubricated it slightly?
JoeThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Oy just when I was begining to get really into the CC01's scaleness (still haven't gotten anything yet), i went and discovered this thread on the SCX10 forum:

simple SCX10 hilux build...

Rednck dropped the suspension on his. nevermind the other mods. It looks as good as any CC01 thing. I still don't think it would take an SUV body well but it still looks every bit as epic as a CC01 with a good scale body on it.

In an ideal world, i'd have both a CC01 and something like the above as well, and then maybe a normal height SCX10 as well. One of these days, maybe when i'm able to make more art sales.
spacephrawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cc01, preference, scx10