Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: LJ_24's XC restoration and modification!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default LJ_24's XC restoration and modification!

Today I am going to start the restoration of an RC that I got when I was 8 years old. It is an isuzu rodeo(the lowered one with street tires) but I am going to transform it into a scale model. Suggestions would be helpful! And so we begin with the teardown of useless parts today!

This is the platform that I'll be working with, really messy! and that lowered look

I forgot that back then, mechanical speed controls were a standard option

Pretty much the bare frame

Atleast the gearbox is intact, should I just install a new tranny?
LJ_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
LR3
Rock Crawler

I would get a now motor, and all new electronics including a new suspension system, servo, and fix anything that is old and rusty/dingy. With it being as old as it is, I would simply upgrade it as much as it could be.
Also ditch the front bumper guard.
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
I would get a now motor, and all new electronics including a new suspension system, servo, and fix anything that is old and rusty/dingy. With it being as old as it is, I would simply upgrade it as much as it could be.
Also ditch the front bumper guard.
I ditched the front bumper guard, I am getting a new suspension. ALL electronics are scrapped!

Also, does anybody know if all the XC rear axles are the same? Same question for the front IFS gear
Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
LR3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ_24 View Post
I ditched the front bumper guard, I am getting a new suspension. ALL electronics are scrapped!

Also, does anybody know if all the XC rear axles are the same? Same question for the front IFS gear
They should be. EVERYTHING that is for the CC01 is also stuff for the XC. They are the same chassis. RC channel makes a rear axle for the CC but it is pushing 200 bucks. RC4WD also makes one called the Beauwolf(or something close to that) that is about 100 bucks or so. As far as the front portal axle, they should also be the same
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here are some mods, all are cheap if not free. Check it out, its a good read.

Blackfoots CC01 Project with Some simple DIY Mods
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So I did one mod today. Threw out those cheapo shocks and decided to add some kind of lift for the front end. Got the idea from my 100 series landcruiser diff drop. However, on the CC01, it gave me about 1/4 inch lift, which speaks volumes because it adds some uptravel for when the new shocks are in. I'm going to my local hobby store right now to get some axial links

clear shot of the spacers that I made, should help with cv wear, not like that mattersthe shorter shocks will be disposed and longer shocks put in so that the suspension arms have more droop.

should be able to fit larger tires, right?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

had some tamiya shocks from another kit I had, they were longer and seemed okay so I installed them onto the rear. No shocks for the front yet, because I need to assemble 2 more

close up of the shocks
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
LR3
Rock Crawler

Those rear shocks look like they put one hell of a strain on that 4-link setup. I would suggest looking into some RC4WD shocks instead. They look better and will not stress the 4-link nearly as much. Also, I would get the GPM rear 4-link setup for the CC01 but if you were to get that, you are going to get the shock mounts from GPM aswell.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

LOL, those are Grasshopper friction shocks. That sucker is gonna jackrabbit around so bad that it will drive you insane.

Don't buy the GPM links, use AX10 uppers and lowers, they are dirt cheap and just about anyone with a comp AX10 has changed them out for aftermarket ones, so they about give them away. Why go for BLING on a scaler when it will get beat to shit anyway?
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
LOL, those are Grasshopper friction shocks. That sucker is gonna jackrabbit around so bad that it will drive you insane.

Don't buy the GPM links, use AX10 uppers and lowers, they are dirt cheap and just about anyone with a comp AX10 has changed them out for aftermarket ones, so they about give them away. Why go for BLING on a scaler when it will get beat to shit anyway?

it will get beat to shit, haha I was jus experimenting. I have an AX10 coming in the mail that I'm going to be converting to an scx10, maybe I can just use the links that came with the axial? thanks for the advice, maybe 1.9's are possible on my cc-01 chassis
Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
JLF
Quarry Creeper

What a fun project, rebuilding your old RC!

I didnt know there was a street version? Those wheels and tires look cool. Would have been fun as a drifter too! There is a youtube CC-01 drift video by the way!
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

thinking of possible shock options at this moment. I think losi mini crawler shocks are one of the options out there? anyway, got rid of the "wall" at the front of the chassis. I know I dint grind it off completely but it should do for now. Is there anybody who is getting rid of their stock rear shock/suspension link mount? I know people upgrade to gpm so its a good reason to ask if you have a set of stock parts lying around

meanwhile in another build thread....working on an ax10 to scx10 to "FJ40" conversion
Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLF View Post
What a fun project, rebuilding your old RC!

I didnt know there was a street version? Those wheels and tires look cool. Would have been fun as a drifter too! There is a youtube CC-01 drift video by the way!
http://tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=158

it does say lowered suspension? but I'm wondering if the front suspension arms differ in lenght?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #14

Suspension arms are the same as any other CC01. The lowered suspension is from travel limiters (plastic spacers) in the shocks. If you remove the internal spacers from the shocks, then you have the regular CC01 shocks.
BDKesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKesling View Post
Suspension arms are the same as any other CC01. The lowered suspension is from travel limiters (plastic spacers) in the shocks. If you remove the internal spacers from the shocks, then you have the regular CC01 shocks.

anybody have a link to a thread where someone takes out these so called limiters? Also, same springs too?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

is this seriously a 2.2 wheel? am I measuring wrong?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ_24 View Post
anybody have a link to a thread where someone takes out these so called limiters? Also, same springs too?
Its not hard. Take the cap off the top of the shock, drain the fluid, protect the shaft, grab it with pliers and twist off the bottom fastener thingie... then pass the piston up and out the top of the shock (careful not to scar up the o rings in the shock body) Remove 1/4 inch spacer on metal part. Reassemble and you have normal XC/CC shocks.

Man I wanna see that CC drift video... time to start hunting
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Here it is Flowmastered. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjF9S...eature=related
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #19

That is some drifting goodness. I have a set of those rims and tires that I could throw on one of my pajeros...
BDKesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

For those who did an SAS swap on their cc01's, what length suspension links did you use?