Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Lr3 cc-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lr3 cc-01

Ok, for some updates.
I totally went all out on the front suspension. All GPM parts and they went together really well. Had a few hick-ups early on (this happens when you do not revert to the instructions for which way the "C"'s go) lol! I went with the silver and orange color because they were the cheaper options and was going to just remove the orange color anadizing' until I started building, then decide I like it and it kind of goes well with the body color as well.

Steering and suspension movement is much better up front and looks cool too as a bonus...

Next I wanted to slow the rig down a bit and instead of getting a new ESC with Drag break I installed a HPI Gear Reduction Unit (GRU). It took some finesse to get it in but with a little dremel work and some patience it went right in. I also ordered a motor plate heat sink from GPM as well to help with heat. Took it for a drive yesterday and it was slowed way down and could just about climb over anything. Also when it is stopped it does not move, period! I need to take it apart and lock the front diff and switch the motor wires as forward is reverse and reverse is forward on the transmitter. OOPS!

I lowered the body down in the rear by one hole and now I think it is ready for some trails.

Picture time....

SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #42

nice job on the rig..really gud luking..hav u seen my rig with all customs skid plate all around it..long tym not posting pics..busy doing car audio on 4wd scale 1:1..at this weekend im trying finishing what i left for 3weeks..that is rear skid bumper..looks cool to me and mayb a bit different than other xc or else hav done it b4 by others..keep up the gud scaling job..like it very much wat u done..
xC Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

You got a link to your build? Be curious to see it and thanks for the kind words. This truck has been an obsession. They are fun rigs!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #44

What sort of terrain are you running on - it's a nice rig
Ronchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronchio View Post
What sort of terrain are you running on - it's a nice rig
Thanks! All sorts of terrain. I am getting excited for spring to get here and get this out again.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Long time no post...

Anyhoo, I took my CC-01 up north to do some venturing out on the trails. I'm not to happy with the GRU in this truck. Way to slow even for trail riding but it will hold on the steepest of inclines as long as the tires have traction. I had to carry it though to keep up with the wife and kid. My SCX-10 has no problem keeping up on the trails.
Although it is slow, it does crawl really well with the GRU if you are not going too far to fast. I did manage to knock both mirrors off though but were not lost altogether.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Great pics, and I totally agree with you in regards to the GRU. Makes the rig great on climbs and descents, but you can out run it by walking fast. Sounds like you need to grab an ESC with good drag brake and lose the GRU if you want to trail it.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking rig, the hpi gru is 7:1 IIRC. Rc4wd sells a 2:1, 3:1, & 4:1 reducrion boxes, I am thinking about a 2:1 for my truck,with my 55t.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Great pics, and I totally agree with you in regards to the GRU. Makes the rig great on climbs and descents, but you can out run it by walking fast. Sounds like you need to grab an ESC with good drag brake and lose the GRU if you want to trail it.
I was seriously thinking just that. It sucks because it was no easy feat getting it in there. It does climb really well and I don't have the front diff locked at all. Just some heavy weighted losi diff grease(don't remember what weight at the moment) but it does help.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Nice looking rig, the hpi gru is 7:1 IIRC. Rc4wd sells a 2:1, 3:1, & 4:1 reducrion boxes, I am thinking about a 2:1 for my truck,with my 55t.
That may be an option too. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #51

I've got one of these in the works too, same body, same chassis. I'm also building a more scale version with the Rastar Licensed RC body and will mount it on a modified and lengthened TT01 chassis. Keeping all the interior intact.
CaptainScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScale View Post
I've got one of these in the works too, same body, same chassis. I'm also building a more scale version with the Rastar Licensed RC body and will mount it on a modified and lengthened TT01 chassis. Keeping all the interior intact.
Sweet! Would love to see it when you are done!

As for mine I took the body off tonight and stripped all the bits and pieces off of it. It's going to get some new paint. I want it to look different. I tried to use some finger nail polish on the orange on the window areas and it did not work like I thought it would.

I just applied some fliller on the hood area to fix the sink holes. More sanding tonight and hopefully paint (Primer) instore for tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

All primed and ready for new paint. Still deciding on a color though.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

My opinion on color is to avoid really dark colors, particularly black. The darker it is the more body detail you lose visually. The whole point of a hardbody (to me) is the detail you get over lexan so lighter colors are key.

I like using OEM-like colors. I painted mine green to recall the classic British Green. Silver would look good as does white.

I'm also a fan of the burgundy they have (I painted my RR Sport this color)

My LR3

inspired by

This is a nice classic British Green
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! I just came in from painting the base color of bright blue. I wish I would have seen this before I started painting it, but I did go with a light color. I was thinking the green as well but you have one that was painted in that color and I saw some others in the picture thread for Rovers with dark colors and did not like the look as much and just wanted something different.

I think you will like the color choice. I need this to dry so I can mask off the flat black areas and get them painted. I should slow down now. I getting impatient to get this done. I did salvage the window areas with classic black paint and they turned out really nice. I will post some more pictures in a bit...
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

And here is the color...I think the areas masked off in flat will look great.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

HA! That looks great. The ONE damn color I failed to post but meant to. Looks really good in that blue. Make sure to paint the black and silver details though. Really makes the rig!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
HA! That looks great. The ONE damn color I failed to post but meant to. Looks really good in that blue. Make sure to paint the black and silver details though. Really makes the rig!
Thanks! I plan to mask it off and paint the black trim. Not sure where I would need the silver though? Grill area?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

thought the door handles were silver. mine are black. dont forget (like I did) to do the black in the grill.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #60

Hmmm as well as this body looks on the cc chassis I might just have to nab one up for one of mine. Nice build.
h2recovery is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/298210-lr3-cc-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:13 AM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:12 AM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:12 AM