Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Does the CC-01 fit the bill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Does the CC-01 fit the bill?

I don't know what the capabilities of the CC01 are because don't have one. I,like tons I'm sure, am looking for a fun scaled truck to play with anywhere. Here is a list of what I was wanting.
1 Top speed of around 20mph.
2 Scale looks.
3 Can drive on grass, dirt, and street.
4 Can crawl at low speeds decent.
I understand this is a lot to ask for. I do not expect rock crawling status of this vehicle nor race car. I just want to drive it around at the park when my kids are playing and riding their bikes. Jang at UltimateRC did a build of some very similar requirements and ended up with a Slash 4x4 platform. It did really awesome. I was just wanting something more scale and maybe with one locked axle for traction at slow speeds. Here is a link to his build if anyone was interested. http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/chimera-a/
I was wanting a CC-01 regardless of it fitting these requirements, but I thought I'd ask the guys who own them first for some input. Thanks in advance.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The cc-01 can do everything you've listed. I don't know exactly how fast it goes out of the box with the 27t motor, but it's pretty zippy.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thank you Pardonmynoob. Very nice to hear some confirmation that I'm on the right track. I have a Novak goat 3 with a 21.5T motor. Any idea if that fits or is a good motor/ESC combo for this truck?
Anyone have a video with this truck running at some speed? All I can find is crawling action on YouTube.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

id suggest metal gears and the trans cover mod. id say lock the back keep the front unlocked
crawlinnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I didn't know metal gears was an option for the cc-01.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I love my cc01, I even ran a comp with mine against scx10's and it held its own. it can climb like a goat, mine is stock except for wheels and tires and better electronics and I locked the front with the gear mod
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks dblrnut. There seems to be tons of guys that agree the cc-01 is a great trail truck and even holds it's own against the scx10.
How fast would you guess your goes on flat ground all out? I would like to chase the dogs and kids around at the park between small trail runs.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrnut View Post
I love my cc01, I even ran a comp with mine against scx10's and it held its own. it can climb like a goat, mine is stock except for wheels and tires and better electronics and I locked the front with the gear mod
Didn't know you had one. I have a Unimog but with stock wheels and tires. Switched out to a CC Sidewinder ESC and Lipo.

I "locked" the front diff using OFNA diff lock. It's a very thick, and I mean thick, silicone grease so there is a tiny little bit of diff action.

With the stock motor I would guess this does about 6 to 8 mph.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Bummer. I thought they would be fast than that being based on a buggy platform. Is 15mph unrealistic it this truck with an upgraded motor/esc?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
Bummer. I thought they would be fast than that being based on a buggy platform. Is 15mph unrealistic it this truck with an upgraded motor/esc?
It isn't a buggy base, it's based on their Pajero series with a tub chassis. I'm not sure if Tamiya uses it for anything else. The Tamiya Subaru Brat is based on their buggy tub chassis.

You always can motor up but the CC-01 motor mount and gearbox only allow two pinion gear choices and can overgear a hotter motor, also the gearbox probably will grenade with more speed or power.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

You are right AreCee. I was mistaken with what I was talking about. I have been looking into a Tamiya DF03ra rally car also which is based on a buggy platform. I just got confused till you called me on it. I would just build the rally car but it won't drive on grass. And I've wanted a Cc-01 regardless of it fits the bill for my above requirement. Like I said before, I'm not looking to build a race car. Just something that isn't going to be crawling over football fields worth of grass at 4mph. I have a Losi MRC and it is a blast to play with in the rocks. But it is painful to watch it drive at it's crawling speed to the next location. I always just pick it up and carry it over. I think I may just get the CC-01 since I want one regardless and see how things go. The scaled looks and trail ability along with the low kit cost is just to hard to pass up.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Yep, those are the very same reasons why I got one. At least the cats are able to outrun it.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

mine with the stock tamiya electronics on 2s moved pretty good, if you want I can shoot a short vid tomorrow to show you how fast mine is with an axial 55t, losi night crawler esc, 2s lipo and ill post it here
Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Dblrnut I would love to see a video of your top speed!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #15

I think if your looking for some speed you may be disappointed in the CC01. However on the trail it really does look sweet.
maeu2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'm alright with a sweet looking rig. Just wanted to ask CC-01 guys if it would be a good dual perpose type vehicle. I'm a fan of driving slow.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have a CC01 and SCX10. Both are great
Removing the front brick and locking the front diff does crawling wonders.
Out of the box or parked in your home you will truly enjoy it.
redjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

http://www.youtube.com/user/dblrnut1#p/u/1/MROo5L6ebpg

the first few seconds are what your looking for, the rest is me getting carried away.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrnut View Post
http://www.youtube.com/user/dblrnut1#p/u/1/MROo5L6ebpg

the first few seconds are what your looking for, the rest is me getting carried away.
Thank you very much dblrnut. Im at work so I haven't had the chance to watch your whole video yet. Very nice rig.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #20

Exclamation

I'm currently running mine with a 5.5T and 60A ESC from dealextreme, and 2S LiPo. It's probably doing something in the neighbourhood of 20MPH+ with that mod. The motor/ESC kit is quite pricy though Haven't gotten around to gearing it properly yet
ovstebo is offline   Reply With Quote