Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01: Good Scaler for the Wife??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CC-01: Good Scaler for the Wife??

Hey guys.

I've got an Axial Honcho that I really love.

I'm wanting to get my wife involved in the scale side of things, as well. She does NOT like driving my other RC trucks, but it's because they're all faster vehicles. She DOES love driving my AquaCraft Bristol Bay fishing boat. She says she likes it because it's slow and leisurely, and she doesn't feel like she is going to crash it and break it. She also likes getting out and walking, which is what I've been doing with my Honcho.

Anyways.

I'm wondering if you guys think that a bone stock (with the only upgrades being the bearings) CC-01 would be a good base to get her started with a scale truck?? I would build it for her and paint it, and then she could drive it with me on the trails with my Honcho.

From what I understand, the CC-01 won't be as capable of a climber as my Honcho, but the trails I take them on are actually mountain bike trails, so there's not really a ton of climbing obstacles so much as there are some nice graded inclines and such.

I know that it's chassis might not be as "scale" as an SCX-10, but I don't think that would matter at all to her. I'm just wondering if it would be a good start to the scale world for her, at a price that comes in a bit lower than me buying an SCX10 Dingo and fitting that with electronics??

Thanks!
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CC-01: Good Scaler for the Wife??

The CC-01 would be a decent rig for your wife. If you are building it bone stock with the silver can motor it will be pretty quick. I'd drop a 65t in it and it would be a brisk walking pace.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Cool.

I'll look for a good budget higher turn motor and see which of the body styles she likes.

I'm partial to the Unimog. Hoping she likes that one, too!!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Wow.

After I end up upgrading to the bearings that Tower recommends, add a nice higher turn motor (55t Axial), and get the ESC that I prefer (AE-2 because I have a Castle Link) I'm up to only about $25 less than a Dingo kit with the same electronics would cost. Granted, I'd need to get a servo, but I'm pretty sure I have a high torque servo laying around here. Then I'm into a chassis that I'm familiar with and a product that basically ends up using the same parts as my truck, so if stuff breaks there's a greater chance I'll have it on hand.

Wondering now if I should just go with the Dingo...or even save a few bucks and just get her a Ridgecrest and call it a day. Heck, the Ridgecrest even comes with a radio that she would be able to use.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Tamiya usa is clearing out Touareg kits for $109...while the body might need to be swapped out, it's quite a bit cheaper than other kits.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

X3 on the slower motor.
No slipper and lots of plastic drivetrane, so help her understand when she is bound up.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Couldn't pass up the deal on the Touareg.

Ordered one of those, and I've got a line on an entire set of stock electronics from a Ridgecrest...TX/RX, servo, ESC, motor...for a good price.

I know that the 20t motor in the Ridgecrest will be way too fast, so I'm thinking about trying to sell it and get a 55t Axial motor, or seeing if anyone is interested in trading. Worst case, I just spend the $15 on a nice motor for the Touareg.

CC-01: Good Scaler for the Wife?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
built the wife a scaler... needs2hunt Axial SCX-10 15 11-15-2010 04:47 PM
Things my wife says compared to things Badgers wife says. jason Chit Chat 16 05-20-2005 09:35 AM