Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01 Steering Issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CC-01 Steering Issue...

Hi everyone.

I just got done building a CC-01 Bronco.

I'm having an issue with the steering. For the record, I have another CC-01 and the steering on that is fine.

With this new one, when I turn right it turns nice and sharp...but when I turn left, it barely turns at all. I've messed with end points on my radio, trim, and the works.

Here's the thing...if it's going to the left in it's nice giant turning radius and hits a bit of a bump, it then jumps itself to "normal" and will then hold it's tighter turning radius.

This is on pavement.

On grass, it seems to turn sharply in both directions.

So, I'm wondering what could be causing it to not turn left very well when on pavement, unless it managed to go over a bump during the turn?

Any advice?

Thanks!
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: CC-01 Steering Issue...

Alright...I had a GPM steering kit laying around, so I TRIED to install that this evening.

It had a couple of screws that simply didn't fit in the dang thing, so I ended up ripping it back out in a fit of anger and just putting it all back together stock.

Whaddya know, it works just fine now...

I don't know what I did to "fix" it. The only thing I can think of is something was binding a bit strangely, and the act of taking the chassis apart and putting it back together fixed it.

Either way, it's running good now.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Glad to hear it. CC01 steering is an odd thing.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
Alright...I had a GPM steering kit laying around, so I TRIED to install that this evening.

It had a couple of screws that simply didn't fit in the dang thing, so I ended up ripping it back out in a fit of anger and just putting it all back together stock.

Whaddya know, it works just fine now...

I don't know what I did to "fix" it. The only thing I can think of is something was binding a bit strangely, and the act of taking the chassis apart and putting it back together fixed it.

Either way, it's running good now.
I truly hope that i dont end up with that kind of problems, as i ordered also that same GPM steering kit to my Pajero..
FinCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Your steering rod was hanging up on the lower skid plate. When you hit a bump, the compression of the suspension popped it loose and then it steered fine. May want to bevel the inside edge of the skid a bit where the rods connect. It's very tight in there, so any slight bend of the steering rods can cause them to get hung up. A few minutes with a file or dremel and it'll never happen again. Common issue on CC's. May be a slight bend to it which is why it works better now that you've reassembled it - it's probably in a different way.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Name:  2 008.jpg
Views: 13513
Size:  133.5 KB Read about steering issues with cc-01 before i bought, plan on something like this...
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I installed that GPM alloy steering kit but the steering feels still very sloppy.

Has anyone tried this instead?

Yeahracing - Yeah Racing (#CC01-042BU) Aluminum Bearing Steering Set (BU) for Tamiya CC-01
Old 07-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

When I fitted mine, I had to replace the long screw that goes down the inside of the steering shaft as it was about 1-2nn too long. When I did it up, it was sloppier than the original plastic one. Chucked in a shorter one and bingo, worked a treat.

I found raising the front suspension too much didn't help either. I file off the ribs on the skid plate below the steering linkage too, less for it to catch.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinCrawler View Post
I installed that GPM alloy steering kit but the steering feels still very sloppy.

Has anyone tried this instead?

Yeahracing - Yeah Racing (#CC01-042BU) Aluminum Bearing Steering Set (BU) for Tamiya CC-01

I have looked and looked, and I can't for the life of me actually find that steering setup anywhere. That link is for dealers only, and I have yet to find a store that actually has it in stock.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
Attachment 202631 Read about steering issues with cc-01 before i bought, plan on something like this...

Yah, that's probably the BEST way to go about doing it, but it's also the most involved. I wish someone made a set that you could buy with all the parts to do it, and then just do the cutting yourself.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
I have looked and looked, and I can't for the life of me actually find that steering setup anywhere. That link is for dealers only, and I have yet to find a store that actually has it in stock.
RCMart has:

for Tamiya CC-01, Aluminum Bearing Steering Set (BU) ,(CC01-042BU) by Yeah Racing
Old 07-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #12

The Yeah racing setup leaves a lot of problems unsolved, the slop on the extra arm isn't solved, the problem with the main steeringlink getting clogged up with sand is still there.

The GPM setup works great just make sure the screws are the right length as said before.
Bulliehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Attachment 202631 Read about steering issues with cc-01 before i bought, plan on something like this...
hi there, maan. where did you get this picture? i need more info about the spare parts it was used to make that front steering. tks
gudrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Check YouTube for CC-01 steering mods gudrn....I've seen that setup before that RiceBurner listed. Except his was a lot cleaner. Tamiya TA series has some suspension parts that are cross compatible with the CC-01 with minor mods and shaving. I forget what but I recall something about TA-02 knuckles being compatible....

Found you a pic:
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. alexchen86, but i really want that front-steering mod and THAT picture in particular is the cleanest axle setup i've seen for CC-01.
About that knuckle from TA-02... this is the same as CC-01. No mods in that case.
This pic you posted looks nice. even better because i've just intalled that STEEL FRONT UNIVERSAL SWING SHAFT (from GPM Racing), but still want more angle when steering.
Thanks

Gudrn
gudrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Hey gimpdiggity i posted my tip for the gpm in this thread a while back its at the bottom hope it helps.
**added a video.. help!!** cc-01 GPM steering kit has lots of play.... why?
benzoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #17

Just posting this as a warning to other Tamiya CC01 users looking for a steering upgrade.

I purchased, from RCMart last week, the Yeah Racing Part: Yeah Racing Aluminum Bearing Supported Steering Rack Blue For Tamiya CC01 #TACC-001BU from RCMart.

for Tamiya CC01 #TACC-001BU, ,(TACC-001BU) by Yeah Racing Aluminum Bearing Supported Steering Rack Blue

The part looked really good but whilst assembling it the M3 x 8mm bolt that holds the lower arm on to the "steering mount post" stripped the thread on the "steering mount post". Upon closer inspection I noted that the M3 x 8mm bolt that secures the lower arm only protruded into the "steering mount post" by about 3mm - certainly not enough to grip and prevent it stripping.

I had already secured the upper arm using the exact same size M3 x 8mm bolt and used a decent amount of tension and Loctite and had no issues so I know it had *nothing* to do with the amount of tension I used on the lower bolt. This is not the first time I have had to tension small bolts into aluminium - I understand that they can strip with the wrong tension and I am always careful.

The issue is certainly related to the bolt length - it should have been at least an M3 x 12mm bolt and I do not know if the M3 thread had been tapped out properly or if the aluminium is too soft as in the GPM product.

RCMart has refused to assist evidently on behalf of Yeah Racing - pretty poor form given this is a new product to market this year.

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdI-W2Yhi7Y

Last edited by rc_winter; 08-21-2017 at 12:11 AM.
rc_winter is offline   Reply With Quote

CC-01 Steering Issue... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering issue nhwheelin Redcat Crawlers 6 02-18-2010 06:56 AM
steering issue pontiacfreak General Scale Talk 0 01-23-2010 07:51 PM
Steering Issue Bustabizz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 05-22-2009 07:55 PM
steering issue Shoei1 HPI Wheely King 5 08-24-2007 12:54 PM
Steering issue Trikster Tamiya TLT Crawlers 14 08-08-2006 10:49 AM