Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01 Unimog build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #1

Thumbs up CC01 Unimog build.

Hey Guys,

New to the site but not to RC.

I started this build after a 15 year hiatus from R/C. It's my first scaler, and really my first foray into scratch building.

I'll post pics of how far along it already is, then I'll keep posting as I continue to build.

Last edited by last-person; 02-10-2013 at 08:13 AM.
last-person is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #2

Default Re: CC01 Unimog build.

The paint has a few flaws, but i thing it's not bad for my first time in a while. Cutting out all the stickers kinda sucked, but gave me something to do. The side-markers just want to keep peeling up, though. They aren't turned on in the pics, but I did install the LED's.

Last edited by last-person; 02-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #3

When I ordered the kit, I also ordered a set of bearings, and a GPM motor mount, so I built it with those from the get-go.
I then bought a Losi MRC to play around with, and really liked the drag-brake.
15 years ago, computer programmable ESC's didn't exist, so I was quite amazed at all the available features in ESC's currently on the market. I ended up buying an Integy 55t lathe motor, and a Castle SV2. I haven't soldered connectors on the SV2 yet, so it's waiting to go in.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

When I ordered the truck, I also ordered a set of bearings and a GPM motor mount. The truck arrived first, and I couldn't wait to build it, so I built it, drove it for a week, then tore it down to put the bearings in it

Then I decided I want to slow it down, so I picked up an Integy 55t lathe motor, and a Sidewinder SV2. That was prompted by me buying a Losi MRC, and loving the drag brake. I then noticed the advantages of 2.4Ghz systems (something that didn't exist 15 years ago), so I picked up a flysky GT3B, which so far has been great. I haven't soldered connectors onto the SV2 yet, I should get to it today.

Last edited by last-person; 02-10-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

After driving it around for a while, I was starting to get annoyed seeing the wires and servo through the windows. By this point, I had also found scalers on the web. I decided I'd start making an interior for the truck, to at least hide the wires.

I'd never worked with styrene before. I picked some up at the LHS, but it just sat around for a few weeks. Mainly because I needed to finish my sons PineWood Derby car, and a fear of screwing up whatever it was I was about to build. I read a post somewhere on rccrawler basically saying "Just start, styrene is cheap, it's not like you can really mess anything up", so I thought..."yea, just start".

This is what I have so far, and this brings the build-thread to current.

Start of floorpan:

With Drivers seat in position:

Dude for fitment:

Start on a trans tunnerl. For this, I sanded the 7.9mm tube glued to the floorplan to give the glue a better surface to stick to. The tunnel is .01 sheet. I glued it to one side of the trans tunnel frame, letting it stick upright. After 30 minutes, I bent it over and glued to the other side. This was a bit tricky, and i got some glue on the floorpan where I didn't really want it. No biggie, sanding and paint will cover it.

I then added a shifter for the transmission, and one for the transfer case. I think I'll probably add some small beads on top of each, as a knob.

Today I'm trying to get the front bulkhead then dash/instrument cluster /steering wheel figured out. I'll probably keep it that simple, make a passenger seat, and call it good.

Last edited by last-person; 02-10-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

lookin' good.
Love the CC-01's and i am looking at getting one here in the next couple months or so.
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

great start, love the mogs.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

This looks pretty cool, keep us updated man.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Cool build. Any updates?

Better tires will help tons. I had the same stock tires on my Tamiya Hummer and the scale doctor tires (SDI) were a HUGE improvement.
rj_dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

This Is a great build I am doining one as well inrerior looks great any updates with install
crawlingfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #11

Excellent work, love that green.
Guys2nv is offline   Reply With Quote

CC01 Unimog build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Video/Unimog CC01 DieselJC Scale Videos! 3 11-11-2012 01:40 PM
About to order CC01 Unimog.. help? kevin107 Tamiya XC/CC01 1 07-06-2011 02:47 PM
Coming soon cc01 unimog rch2 Tamiya XC/CC01 8 02-09-2010 09:10 AM