Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: First Kit Build Ever,CC01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Talking First Kit Build Ever,CC01

Not entirely a noob here,since I ran and raced RC (from electric to nitro) back between '97 and '04. I just got back into RC this year though,and I've never built a kit...I've never even did much of any wrenching,LMBO,I'm not the most mechanically inclined here. But since discovering crawling/trail running this year,I've been wanting to build one,a scaler. LOVE my AX10 Ridgecrest and SCX10 Jeep Rubi,but they're both RTR's,and I've been reluctant to tear into them,not being mechanically inclined or having any experience. Tower recently had a killer special going where I was able to score this Pajero kit for $187 shipped,and before I knew it,the (most wonderful) wife (in the world!) had one on it's way (my b-day is in 2 days...coincidence? ).

ANYways,having been inspired by some killer builds here,this arrived last eve...

I wasn't able to tear into it last night or today,and am going out of town for the weekend (my family and my folks),so it will be next week before I can get on it,but I'm so dang excited I had to post it anyways (you can snicker and roll your eyes if you like,I don't mind,my Wife did too )

Even though I'm a complete noob to building and "not mech. inclined",not looking to build it stock,looking to make it a decent trail rig I can run while my son runs my SCX10 and not be winched every few feet,and the Pajero really reminds me of a 1:1 Kia Sportage 2 door/soft top I had a few years ago with 33's stuffed up underneath,LOL,so I'm thinking locked and lifted...spoiler shot with the tires/wheels I want to run (Proline Interco TSL's and Axial beadlocks in 1.9)...

ANY advice or links to how to's as I come to steps I'm working on (as well as critique) very welcomed and appreciated...heck,I'm not even 100% sure how to lock either end (I've seen pics on other builds of using JB Weld or even hot glue,but not sure of the technique...),so this will be a compleet learning experience for me. Hopefully,the first of many Can't WAIT until I can tear nto it! Advice on any upgrades to order before I start (will be ordering a bearing kit,and most likely a 55t-ish motor/esc before starting to save from tearing down to replace later)? Thanks in advance

Last edited by The DC; 06-21-2013 at 06:18 PM.
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: First Kit Build Ever,CC01

Well you are in the right section, peruse the other builds on here. You will find all the answers to your questions here.
Looking forward to seeing progress.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Congrats on the B-day present! You are off to a good start. Bearings are a must and I see you have that on your list. Another good upgrade and a must is the steering.

I would start their first and drive it to see how you like it. These trucks are easy to work on so if you are worried about tearing into it later, don't sweat it.

To lock the diffs is pretty easy and straight forward. Do a quick search in this topic and you will find it. Essentially the rear comes with the locker for the rear, but for the front you can either purchase another locker or do the spider gear method, it’s easy to do.

Look forward to your progress!
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Bearings, even super cheap ones are a great upgrade. Tires are next in line. After that, drive it, see if anything annoys you, then give it hell!
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys

What's everyone's thoughts on ethese parts?

Amazon.com: 60T Motor/ESC w/ Drag Brake: Crawler: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: GPM Racing #CC161B Aluminum Rear Adjustable Suspension Links - 4pcs Set Blue for Tamiya CC01: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Boom Racing #CCBBZ High Performance Full Ball Bearings Set Rubber Sealed (18 Total) for Tamiya CC01: Toys & Games

Thinking about making an order,but it will probably be next week,all depends on how this week goes...
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

you should pair those links with these:

Amazon.com: GPM Racing #CC030B Aluminum Rear Damper Mount - 1set Blue for Tamiya CC01: Toys & Games

other than that, the list looks pretty good
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Those (and most of the other of their blue aluminum goodies for the CC01) is already in my "Wish List" on Amazon

I'm thinking I'll make an order in the next day or so (the 3 things-maybe + those,depending on budget-in my post above),if so,I'm probably going to wait until those come in to actualyl start the thing...being my first kit,I'll follow the directions at least in chronological order,and the motor is step #1...
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #8

Jb welding the diff while effective always butt hurt me. I usually get on fleabay and get an additional g parts tree to lock the front seems as if cvds aren't a bad idea after the front diff gets locked or you may be popping dog bones out. Bearings and longer shocks for sure help this rig out.
h2recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Locking both diffs is easy and requires no extra parts. Use the plastic locker parts on the G parts tree to lock the rear diff. Then take the 3 spider gears that are meant for the rear and put them in the front diff. You will have 6 spider gears in the front diff which will lock it up without having to use any glue/grease/jb weld/etc.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Cool thanks guys
Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Made my order (the above links plus the rear shock mount suggested)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Got a few parts in today (yeah...it would be the first week of the month,the busiest week for me each month,LMBO! )...

Getting started in the next day or so,depending on holiday mess and how long tomorrow's bill paying takes

A teaser for the look I'm going for (body on wheels/tires...
Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Nice to see this update! Good selection of parts!
the-gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Any updates?
the-gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks

No updates what-so-ever...it's on hold temporarily,will shoot you a FB message later
Old 09-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well...I actually started on it,got a lot done,got Step One complete (hey...it's been damn hot out in the uninsulated workshop,just starting to get sporadic cool eves )

Last edited by The DC; 09-03-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Any updates? Interested to see how it's looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Oh dang,I thought I'd posted the final update,my bad

It's finished......but not by me,I had a trade going,looked like I was getting ripped off (it hadn't been intentional),had it returned to sender mid-rte to the guy,when all was said and done,I felt so bad for having thought so wrongly about and tearing into him via text and email (turns out it was a kid...),when everything came out in the open and I saw it was a horrible misunderstanding,I sent it to him as an early Christmas gift He finished it up stock (except for the aluminum bits posted here,gave him those too) and his dad says he's enjoying the hell out of it

First Kit Build Ever,CC01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cc01 Jeep Wrangler kit any good? grimgard Tamiya XC/CC01 7 10-10-2009 01:03 AM