Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01 Underdrive mod.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default CC01 Underdrive mod.

Been wracking my brains on this for a while, and while sitting here recovering from achilles surgery (got plenty of time) I finally had a few light bulbs go off.

I've been thinking about how to get an overdrive/underdrive setup for my CC chassis. I figure it will help a ton with the steering, as well as tackling the inclines with its relatively short wheelbase. I was really thinking about it in regards to my 2.2 builds, but it would be a killer addition to 1.9 size builds too.

Simplest answer was to find a similiar size axle with a different gear ratio. Easier said than done, CC01's are pretty narrow. However, after doing some digging, I found two good options for a starting points. Ascender and Sawback axles are just about as close as you can get.

First, some specs:

CC01 axle width (at hexes) =165mm
Ascender width = 192mm (+27mm)
Sawback axle width = 183mm (+1

CC01 axle gear ratio = 12/21, 1.75:1
Ascender ratio = 1.85:1 (-6% underdriven)
Sawback ratio = 2.21.1 (-13% underdriven)

If you want a wider track, Tamiya's TA hubs will add 10mm per side up front. That will bring it up to about 185mm or so. That's a perfect match for the Sawback axle as-is, and for a slightly narrowed Ascender axle. And of course, there's always different offset hubs.

I decided to tackle the Ascender axle as I knew it was pretty easy to modify and I wanted to stay fairly close to stock to keep the tires somewhat tucked.

I started with Rich's mod outlined here: How to shorten your Ascender Axle Housing Track width and then and took it a bit further by filing down the flats on the axles a bit until the axles were touching in the locker. With that, I got mine down to 175mm. 165 would have been relatively easy with more filing, but I wanted mine to match my HPI grafted front so 175 was fine.

Here's my modded axle compared to the stock CC (width-wise anyway). Must be the perspective, but it's only 10mm wider at this point.

Sitting on top of my HPI suspension - match made in heaven?

Dug out some links, and it dropped it right in. Almost too easy! I already modded the rear shocks to be in front of the axle ilo behind like stock, so it was a quick swap.

I used some SCX10 shocks with 10mm limiters as too much travel would be out of whack with the front. Added some Tamiya touring springs ilo the stock Axial as they were shorter and softer.

Overall view, and back on 4 wheels:

All that work paid off....previously, my 'Zu was slightly wider up front. Now they are spot on!

Looks pretty nice under there!

The stock Vaterra driveshafts might work, I'm not sure since I cut mine down. I know mine were way short. I ordered Vanquish adapters so I can bolt on the original driveshaft I was using.

CANNOT WAIT to get out and try it out... I've got 4 more weeks at least though Good thing I ordered another axle to mod on my 2.2 rig.

Hope this helps any of the CC fanatics out there....
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CC01 Underdrive mod.

Final pieces of the puzzle arrived...I'm not sure how I can get a package from CA faster than one from NY, but the post office work in mysterious ways. In any case, my Vaterra adapters arrived and I can finally finish this up.

Nice pieces....no idea what Vaterra was thinking with a proprietary design. Just plain dumb - this was not something that needed to be reinvented. I could have just picked up extra driveshafts and lengthened everything, but I figured this would be a better solution in the long run.

Driveline back together and spinning nice and smooth.

Hoping to get out for a test run tomorrow... Thinking I can throw the truck in a backpack and crutch out to my test area. Not quite on the level of a trail run, but it'll do!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I really need to get on here more often! This is such an awesome mod! Combined with your HPI front suspension it seems like you're building the ultimate CC-01! I may have missed it...is there a thread with all the specifics of the stuff done to the front end? Oh...and if you ever decide to sell this rig...can I get first dibs?
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

About 5 threads down in this section. CC01 front suspension swap..has the details on the HPI parts.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

WOW!! This makes me want to dust off the cobwebs on my Landfreeder! I love my little CC01, but it's off-road abilities left a lot to be desired. Your mods are just impressive! I gotta look up your other threads.

AND, I definitely need to see your front end Mods!
When I first got my Landfreeder, I thought it was pretty cool..... however, in the last 7 years, it's been woefully inadequate by nearly ANY standards.... I'm SURE I've seen your Rig before... maybe on the CC-01 Faceballs Page.
At any rate, this looks like a great way to get my little Rig keep up!! Maybe even get some 1.55s, and a nice Hardbody!
Thank you!!!

Last edited by PoorManRC; 02-09-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added Paragraph
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote

CC01 Underdrive mod. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Mafia UnderDrive Mod rock hard Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 78 01-30-2015 05:44 PM
CC01 axle mod Sparky6307 General Crawlers 5 12-03-2012 08:07 AM