Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: CVD'S are junk!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default CVD'S are junk!!!!!

So I already addressed this as a reply in another thread but felt it needed its own.
Now I'm not trying to talk bad or anything of the sort but I am totally angry that I trusted this rig enough that I entered into my summer series comp today with my new Losi and needless to say I made the start gate got about ten feet and POW! There went my CVD.

Now I know your asking well what were you doing with it? Well thats the thing, there was no real "bind". My axial laughed at ish like that.
So Im sitting there bummed and talking to some of the other drivers about it one of them being KIng Bling and apparently this has been a long time issue. Jake apperently broke 7 between the ECC and RCX.

My question is why has this not been adressed and this was the first I've heard about it. YES, I know its a new product but come on, thats ridiculous. These things are a third of the size of my axial cvd's, which by the way I've put over 300 hours on and never broke 1!!!

The parts wont be available at CKRC for awhile, no real ETA. THIS SUCKS!!!

Rich, Im hoping youll jump in here and throw some support at me, I know you will as you've been a plethera of info and very supportive in everything else.
lakedan5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

What exactly broke? Got pics?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The ball inside of of the cup, kinda dog bone.
I could post a pic, except when it blew up there isnt anything there really now to show, the end of a rod . It sheared right off.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

Not being a dick, but why start another thread with stuff you already posted in a thread about "Broken CVD's"? broke a cvd already
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Well honestly I didnt want this to get passed over without a real adressing, so instead of questioning my thread starting lets focus on the real issue hear, unless you want to type some other useless ish like you just did.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

How about a picture of the "Broken" CVD...... That might help everyone out. Useless is another thread about something that has a thread that is 40+ post about the Losi Comp Crawler CVD's..... Picts?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I would agree for the most part, how much of that thread is still focused on the topic?

So any way I will try to post some pics up of it, I need to rip it down still, really though its exactly what you would imagine, it broke off right before the end.

Not trying to be rude or otherwise, still a little bitter about the hours involved to make one start gate. I'm sure anyone would be a little bitter and maybe its just me venting, whatever.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedan5150 View Post
I would agree for the most part, how much of that thread is still focused on the topic?

So any way I will try to post some pics up of it, I need to rip it down still, really though its exactly what you would imagine, it broke off right before the end.

Not trying to be rude or otherwise, still a little bitter about the hours involved to make one start gate. I'm sure anyone would be a little bitter and maybe its just me venting, whatever.
Totally understand. I would have been very pissed! CVD's have always had probs in crawlers. Did you have the wheels at full lock when it happened? I'm thinking that setting your EPA's a little in to keep them from hitting full lock might help? Yes we will loose a little throw but it has plenty to spare. Maybe someone will start making some replacements real quick since this is looking like it's going to be a weak point.....
Old 05-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Will be playin in the shop tomorrow making some ti links for my rig. I will pull the front axle apart and see if I can make some Ti cvd's for this girl.
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksmith Eng. View Post
Will be playin in the shop tomorrow making some ti links for my rig. I will pull the front axle apart and see if I can make some Ti cvd's for this girl.
Dib's on a set of the first run
Old 05-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I agree, Im in on that. I dont know anything about machining but the ones that are in there are super weak and I know that Jake H. was talking about having some dog bones made up, which sounded good to me.

I just want this thing to climb, Im super pumped on it and its a really impressive rig, NO DOUBT! The potential is there.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 AM   #12

This thing broke?

Krisstuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 AM   #13
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisstuz View Post
This thing broke?

That seems to be where all the trouble is coming from....
Old 05-31-2009, 05:18 AM   #14

Ok. Thanks
Krisstuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thats the weak spot. i broke mine there aswell. i would be all over some ti cvds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisstuz View Post
This thing broke?

roadkill424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

As for the end point adjustment, why would you reduce it. This one one of Losi's selling points. Also I believe is that they made the relief for the extra turning ability. True Losi needs to address this. I'm a little upset to hear this, since I waiting for mine still. Too bad, I thought the R&D was already done.
mannysouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Yup, thats exactly where it broke!! That ball is gone.

Now lets figure out what it takes to get this ish running comp worthy with a piece of mind this wont happen anymore.

Thanks for posting that pic, was gonna try today.

Still love my Losi, just had to sleep off the anger
Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
TEAM MODERATOR

Something I see,some companies build little CVD's/universal shafts for their trucks to gain steering. That is a known weak spot in any crawler....whatever the platform. A few different platforms can accept 1:8 scale CVD's. Those platforms can handle a TON more abuse and power than many on the market today.....and the CVD's/universals laugh at the abuse begging for more.

Crawlers NEED beef at the axles and joints...period. I'm not bashing Losi at all,the work they are doing is appreciated. This is just a thought since several platforms have issues with the axles/pins and stubs. Better,stronger material is a good idea,although it's not always better. To strong and brittle can be just as bad. Plain and simple....it's hard to beat BEEF!
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysouza View Post
As for the end point adjustment, why would you reduce it. This one one of Losi's selling points. Also I believe is that they made the relief for the extra turning ability. True Losi needs to address this. I'm a little upset to hear this, since I waiting for mine still. Too bad, I thought the R&D was already done.
Thats the thing, you don't have to crank the steering all the way to where the arm hits the C hub, it DOES not need it. And yes CVD's are the weakest when the pin that goes through the center is at the "top" of the slot at the end of the axle. The closer that pin is to the center point it will try to split the halves apart, add a 1 pound tire & RPM's to the mix & "POP".

Last edited by Speedracer19; 05-31-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
Moderator Rule Breaker

I can see why they are breaking, they neck the shaft down pretty good.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote