Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: All I want for Christmas is a solid, reliable ESC & motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
jwr
Pebble Pounder

Question All I want for Christmas is a solid, reliable ESC & motor

Noob post, apologizing in advance.

I have an MRC and a 1/24 crawler and have been having a blast. A few weeks ago I took the plunge and bought an LCC. At the same time I bought a Goat 3S/21.5T motor combo, with a 14t pinion. Also got a Losi 3S 1350ma lipo. Installed everything.

I'll make this next part quick. I'm not sure if I didn't have the sensor harness seated all the way or a bad solder joint, or something in the ESC was whacked, but I powered up the ESC, went through the one-step programming to set forward and reverse. All indicator lights showed things were good. Hit the throttle... nothing. Hit it again and smoke--both from the motor and the Power Cap on the ESC. Quickly unplugged everything.

Pulled the motor apart and melted plastic. Not good. Re-checked the connections and everything looked good but like I said, that sensor harness might not have been fully seated--who knows.

I ordered an 18.5T motor and a new Cap for the ESC. Installed them when they came. All diag lights on the ESC look good. Nothing gets hot, but the motor won't spin unless I give it a little push. Once it stops it won't start again without help.

So here I sit, about $250 worth of ESC and motors on my bench mocking me. I don't want to wait for a couple weeks while these go back to Novak for repair (although I will send them in at some point). Right now all I want is to make this truck go.

So after that long boring preface, my hope is that you guys with these freakin' amazing rigs, will be able to point me to a good, solid, reliable, ESC and motor combo for an LCC. Brushed or brushless--I really don't care. I don't need anything fast or awesome torque. I just want something that works. John, at Holmes has been great! And has given me some ideas regarding a brushed setup which I'm leaning toward, but would love to hear recommendations from anyone else who is kind enough to reply. Trying to avoid fancy or expensive--but I'll do what it takes to make this thing run. BTW, no competition in my future. Just want to be able to run for 30 to 60 minutes at a time.

Thanks in advance!

(I should also mention that I've spent the past two weeks making judicious use of the Search function. The number of ESC/motor combos around here is staggering!)

Last edited by jwr; 02-10-2011 at 06:34 PM.
jwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I run a Tekin RS and Epic Duo2 17.5 and love it. I got about 14 minutes on a 1000mah 3 cell in the cold the other day. The castle mamba max pro works well in the losi too. I used to be a novak guy, but there is just soooooo much better out there than novak now days. I want the Br00d axle buster when it comes out. EeePee's truck is crazy when he's running the proto.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
mrG
RCC Addict

Mamba Max Pro, it can run any motor and handle all the volts you'll want. With the boost on I have more speed than I need which is good. I run 4s lipo turning a tekin 21.5 with 14mm rotor. It's the only brushless I've run and after playing with the ESC settings it work great. I did smoke 2 brushed motors before I got the tekin. I don't think you'll get 30 minutes out of a brushed motor before you cook it. With a 1300mah 4s and stock worms I get 20 minutes or so, longer with the HD worms. BTW get the new worm gears your motor will run much cooler,

and what do you mean no competition? It's a Losi COMP Crawler!
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
jwr
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replies, guys! You've given me some more options to look at.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr View Post
Just want to be able to run for 30 to 60 minutes at a time.
Brushed won't do that, unless you're very good with the dig, and take it easy almost all the time. My 1300 milliamp battery only lasts about 15 minutes with a 35 turn in the Losi anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrG View Post
Mamba Max Pro, it can run any motor
I just got their 1S version of the MMP, and it says it can only go down to a 19 turn brushed motor in forward/reverse mode. Probably the same with the non 1S version. So not any motor...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

tekin pro that way you can go 4 cells!!
MX70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
jwr
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Brushed won't do that, unless you're very good with the dig
Uh, yeah, that would *not* be me you're describing.

I'm not necessarily wanting to get that amount of time off a single pack. I just want an ESC/motor combo that will let me run several packs through it ,back to back, without starting a brush fire.

Right now my (adult) son and I take turns attempting lines. We don't run non-stop--usually only one of us is going at a time--but we do stay out for a while.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply everyone!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

well, i gave the Novak stuff a shot too. I had heard a lot of good things about the goat stuff and thier brushless motors. My roommy has a brushed Novak motor and ESC in his axial and it just went and went and went. So i purchased their Goat 3s and Ballistic Brushless 18.5. At first it was AMAZING! loved the speed and torque; plus it NEVER got hot. Also, i was getting a solid 30 minutes and longer on my 1300 mah packs.

Then, it got jerky on me one day. Novak said it was just bad gear mesh. A few weeks later, out crawling, it just stopped. Lights worked but it would not go.

Mailed it off to them for repair. Hopefully warrantied!

I do like the fact that they are a USA company, that's part of the reason i purchased their stuff. But, if they don't warranty this, or it's repaired and does it again, i will be a lost customer.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I ran an mmp and 13.5t brushless on my lnc, worked well but for what you are describing you probably want a slower turn motor. The mmp is a great esc, I would highly recommend it.
Zimm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If I had to replace my Losi Xcelorin ESC with my 17.5 Xcelorin brush-less system I would go with a MMP ESC with a18.5 Ballistic Motor.
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Mamba Max Pro. No limits!
Flexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs down

Same thing happened to with my 3s goat sent it back 3 weeks ago still waiting to get it back so I just bought me a Tekin rs pro and a phantom 17.5 motor and it's been working great ever since Novak said it was a bad MOSFET causing the coging Novak
flizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flizz View Post
Same thing happened to with my 3s goat sent it back 3 weeks ago still waiting to get it back so I just bought me a Tekin rs pro and a phantom 17.5 motor and it's been working great ever since Novak said it was a bad MOSFET causing the coging Novak
I will be curious to see if they say mine is a bad mosfet. I sure hope it doesn't take a couple of months!! I want to wheel now!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

So are the Novak motors reliable and not the speed controls? I have a MMP and am up in the air on motors. I chose the MMP because it seemed like a do it all controler.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

i havent had much of any problem with their motors, just their brushless esc's
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I've been leaning towards the Trinity motor lately. Still new, but from what I've read on here it works well.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors4u View Post
So are the Novak motors reliable and not the speed controls? I have a MMP and am up in the air on motors. I chose the MMP because it seemed like a do it all controler.

I was wondering the same thing! Just in case my Goat ESC is toast, i wondered about the Ballistic motor.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
MODERATOR™

You can add me to the list of a dead Goat 3S controller, but a functioning Ballistic motor.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Novak just needs to get into the 21st century already. They've been behind the times since they kept trying to make the cyclone a viable racing esc after it had been out for 6 years... The lack of adjustablilty and huge size sucks with the novaks. I thought they were finally going in the right direction when they started advertising the M2 and novalink, but we all know how that's turned out...
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #20
jwr
Pebble Pounder

Thanks again for all the replies, guys! I really do appreciate it!

I think I'm going with a Tekin. Not sure which one yet. I'll send the Goat back in to get it fixed and then probably eBay it when it comes back.